Turn on thread page Beta

Stats GCSE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done or is doing a Statistics GCSE. I am considering doing one, but at lunches and after school.
    Is it really hard?
    Which is better AQA or Edexcel?
    is it possiblee to learn the syllabus in 1.5 hours a week? - I do well in maths
    I am already doing 10.5 GCSEs will it be too much?

ReputationRep:
    I did 11 GCSE's and wish i could have done stats.
    I did Stats in my A-level maths last year and i really enjoy stats. Basically it will consist of
    mean/mode/median
    Stabndard deviation/range/interquartile range/ upper and lower quartiles/varience
    probability (not sure what kind)
    Might need spermans rank (i didnt do stats but someone in my Alevel class did it and mentioned spermans rank)
    scatter graphs
    histograms
    bar charts etc

Doubt it would be too hard to learn any of this as the only new stuff to you (depending on what year you are in), would be standard deviation and varience, possibly interquartiles range cumalative fequency?
    To be honest, if your good at maths you wont find it hard.

ReputationRep:
    I did 16 GCSE's failed 3* of them and ended up with just 13 grade A-C.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing 13 GCSE's and I have loads of spare time, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 12 GCSEs and one of them is stats and its pretty easy. i'm doing the edexcel course with coursework, and i haven't done the coursework yet but my teacher said its pretty easy if you put the effort in. (:

ReputationRep:
    I did stats in year 10... we didn't really get any teaching on it, all i can remember doing in class was the course work which was just mean and standard deviation. I got a C with no work and im not really that good at maths so im guessing you should be ok.

oh yeh we did the edexcell one but this was 4 years ago (wow just thought about that and it doesnt seem that long ago at all!!) so it might have changed a bit by now.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh Stats! I did that in year 11.. I had no proper lessons and learnt most of it on the morning of the exam.. most the stuff is pretty trivial and things you should have already learnt in Maths GCSE.
    I got a B with no work so yeh, I would definitely advise you to take it if you like Maths =]

ReputationRep:
    We did Statistics in year 10 and I got an A. It's similar to AQA module 1, so we did them both together with some extra stuff for Stats. It wasn't much extra work because it was just one exam. I think you should do it - it's not as much work as most GCSEs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We were told we were doing stats a month before the exams. We only did foundation, but we all passed, so higher in your lunchtimes should be fine :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Im doing 13 GCSE's and I have loads of spare time, you'll be fine.
    That shall all change when you start A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz)
    That shall all change when you start A-levels
    Yeah I know! :p:

Cant wait:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsGirl)
    I did 11 GCSE's and wish i could have done stats.
    I did Stats in my A-level maths last year and i really enjoy stats. Basically it will consist of
    mean/mode/median
    Stabndard deviation/range/interquartile range/ upper and lower quartiles/varience
    probability (not sure what kind)
    Might need spermans rank (i didnt do stats but someone in my Alevel class did it and mentioned spermans rank)
    scatter graphs
    histograms
    bar charts etc

Doubt it would be too hard to learn any of this as the only new stuff to you (depending on what year you are in), would be standard deviation and varience, possibly interquartiles range cumalative fequency?
    To be honest, if your good at maths you wont find it hard.
    When I did it (around 3 years ago) it also had a bit of binomial distrubution.

To the OP, stats gcse is easy stuff it's just a matter of a bit of repition. Is there a particular reason you want to do it? Because the S1 module in A-Level Maths can be done (quite easily) without the gcse. I would even go as far as to say that S1 is easier than C1.

ReputationRep:
    TBH if you're good at maths you could probably self teach it in the week before the exam (stats will probably be your last one ). The majority of it is covered in GCSE maths or is so basic you don't need to be taught. The coursework is long though.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help guys
    Ill probably take the extra GCSE, Edexcel with the cousework.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you have coursework anymore. i could be wrong.

If i was you, i would go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maulik2)
    When I did it (around 3 years ago) it also had a bit of binomial distrubution.

To the OP, stats gcse is easy stuff it's just a matter of a bit of repition. Is there a particular reason you want to do it? Because the S1 module in A-Level Maths can be done (quite easily) without the gcse. I would even go as far as to say that S1 is easier than C1.
    Quite the opposite for me, I hated S1, probably because it was so dull. However, GCSE stats is soooo much easier!

ReputationRep:

the course work is a teacher assesed task, and has to be completed under supervision of the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE stats, loved it found it pretty enjoyable. I did the AQA course im not sure if they still do c/w with that syllabus, but the c/w was a good aspect of it!

ReputationRep:

I'm doing it this year and I have coursework. We only have one lesson a week but so far it's fine.

Our predicted grades for stats are one less grade than we got in maths last year. For example, if you got an A for maths last year, you're predicted a B for stats this year.

The reason for this, we were told, is that people don't treat stats as a real GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fi0na.)
    Quite the opposite for me, I hated S1, probably because it was so dull. However, GCSE stats is soooo much easier!
    Oh really? Didn't you think probability/normal distribution/regression meant the subject was more applicable and intresting?

Although, I'm one of the phew people that actually likes statistics a lot. I'm doing S3 right now and loving it.

I think I'm on the verge of losing it :eek: .

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.