how do you record a sound off of windows? Watch

pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
sounds stupid, but it used to be so simple! how do i record a sound, say some music from a video that is playing on a website, using the sound recorder on vista?
i used to be able to just tick a few boxes and it worked on xp, but now it's all spazzed and i can't figure out how to do it.

anyone got any ideas? ta.

or actually, why the hell does every musical link i click on to download, end up playing on quick time and not let me download it?
numb3rb0y
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
I don't think Vista allows you to do it due to bullying from the media industry.
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
vista is crap then. pppt
Talon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Id download the video and strip out the sound into and mp3. What kind of video is it?

(Original post by pumpkin7)
vista is crap then. pppt
Do you know another OS that will do this for you right out of the box?
numb3rb0y
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Talon)
Do you know another OS that will do this for you right out of the box?
She said it herself that XP'd do it... It's a problem in Vista because of the encrypted and separated audio/video input/output systems. In other words, Microsoft intentionally removed a useful feature to pander to big business. I think that's a legitimate reason for calling it crap TBH.
Talon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I will test this.

In the mean time I suggest either:

A) My Solution in post 5.
B) Install XP in a virtual machine and do it in that. Virtual PC is a free VM.
Dogkicker91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Download Audacity and there's a setting which lets you record whatevers coming out of the speakers?
GamerChris
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dogkicker91)
Download Audacity and there's a setting which lets you record whatevers coming out of the speakers?
Usually this is the anwser but because the OP talks about Vista, it's not probably not possible because they have disabled (or completely removed I can't remember which) the Line In which is used by Audacity to record what comes from the speakers.
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just get a 3.5mm male to male jack and plug in the microphone socket to the headphone socket. Then turn on your 'headphones' and play sound through there. Then use Audacity to record the input through the microphone socket.
h82think
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Search "sound recorder"
TheWizard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GamerChris)
Usually this is the anwser but because the OP talks about Vista, it's not probably not possible because they have disabled (or completely removed I can't remember which) the Line In which is used by Audacity to record what comes from the speakers.
It's definately possible. I use audacity (I have Vista) to record audio in a similar way which OP talks about.

Audacity is a relatively small program anyway, so may as well download it and try it out :p:. It's one of the easiest audio programs to use (and it's free!).
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
man, this seems too much hastle for a sound. i'll just use the laptop - that has xp on it. :p:

and 'search 'sound recorder'' - wtf. that's what i'm trying to use to record the sound ffs!
gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
AUDACITY > set your input to stereo mix (may need to be enabled in the windows sound mixer first then in audacity go edit > preferences ) > record button.

done.

works on vista 100%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (69)
29.87%
No - I got the required grades (131)
56.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.42%

Watched Threads