Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sure you can all name a few instances where Britain comes out on top. But the fact remains that compared to countries with a similar population to Britain, such as France, we are pathetic. If you look at medals per head of population at the Sydney olympics, even though it was an amazing games for Britain, we are really low down on the table. Not even in the top 25.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/...ed_syd_200_cap

ReputationRep:
    Theres still the US open to go
    Hopefully he can get past the 4th round and beat his personal best like he did at the French.

ReputationRep:
    while i think he can do well in future Grand Slams, he will never win one. There are just too many more top solid players e.g. roddick, hewitt, federer, agassi, coria etc.

His game just doesn't have that something extra which is needed to win Grand Slams, and from the interview he gave after exiting wimbledon he basically said that he wouldn't class his career as a failure if he didn't win one, maybe implying that he knows that he isnt't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Henman is attrocious. I am so disappointed that America and Germany churn out high quality tennis players, but Britain fail to do the same. I think Henman should be binned for a younger talent.

ReputationRep:
    Henman is good but not special. Still a danger though on his day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Henman is good but not special. Still a danger though on his day.
    Yes, if you rewind the clock back by 3/4 years.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever tried playing Association Croquet?

One of the best tactical sports around, a mixture of snooker and chess, played on grass.

Visit http://www.croquet.org.uk if you want to find out more, or pm me for info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Has anyone ever tried playing Association Croquet?

One of the best tactical sports around, a mixture of snooker and chess, played on grass.

Visit http://www.croquet.org.uk if you want to find out more, or pm me for info.
    i have to admit, I thought it was a toff nosed snobs game until I tried it - it actually can be quite fun!

My experience however has taught me that trying to combine a game of croquet with frizbee requires hard hats.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we've all got some opinion about the whole out-franchising fiasco.

Leicester City Supporters Club "Foxes Trust" are encouraging anyone who was thinking of travelling to watch MK vs Leicester at the Nat. Hockey Stadium tomorrow night to watch Brentford vs AFC Wimbledon instead.

I don't particularly blame the people of Milton Keynes - I think that would be harsh, they've had a football club dumped on their back yard, theres bound to be some who are a little curious.

What narks me slightly is that those people may not have been interested in MKs football club (MK City ?) before the Dons arrived, and now are jumping on the bandwagon just because it's Coca-Cola League football.

So how long before AFC Wimbledon play MK Dons ? I for one would certainly like to see that match when it happens, despite never having supported either, it would just be interesting.

Ryman League Div 1 - AFC Wimbledon (2004/5)
    Ryman League Premier
    Conference South
    Nationwide Conference
    Coca Cola League 2
    Coca Cola League 1 - MK Dons (2004/5)

ReputationRep:
    Llama boy knows alot about this and has some define views on the subject however I think he may not be visiting this site any more. Personally I think some of the things that have happened to Wimbledon are shocking and its sad that true fans have actually been betrayed by a few idiots.

ReputationRep:
    It will be quite a while before it happens in my opinion... Considering AFC could not get out of the Combined Counties league until the restructure, and the fact non-league football is a real bottleneck, MK Dons would really have to plummet for it to happen anytime soon. I think its more likely for MK to fold by 2008 than the two teams being in the same league. AFC W are not the only club to hope the £s will rocket them through the leagues. Fisher tried and failed, Hornchurch and Farnborough are trying now. The only club it has really succeeded for is Rushden.

But what really gets me is the reaction of Leicester. They as a club are as bad at destroying the good nature of football as MK Dons are; going bankrupt to write off millions of pounds of debt, before miraculously finding the money to fund a promotion. How they are in a position to preach is utterly beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    It will be quite a while before it happens in my opinion... Considering AFC could not get out of the Combined Counties league until the restructure, and the fact non-league football is a real bottleneck, MK Dons would really have to plummet for it to happen anytime soon. I think its more likely for MK to fold by 2008 than the two teams being in the same league. AFC W are not the only club to hope the £s will rocket them through the leagues. Fisher tried and failed, Hornchurch and Farnborough are trying now. The only club it has really succeeded for is Rushden.

But what really gets me is the reaction of Leicester. They as a club are as bad at destroying the good nature of football as MK Dons are; going bankrupt to write off millions of pounds of debt, before miraculously finding the money to fund a promotion. How they are in a position to preach is utterly beyond me.
    The idea of uprooting a whole team is stupid, especially to a place like milton keynes where attendances are likely to be even lower than the groundshared selhurst park. When Koppel said he hoped fans would follow, he must be have been having a laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)

Fair enough, all bar one point - AFC Wimbledon would have been promoted out of the CCL regardless of the Pyramid shake up, as they won the CCL last year without losing a game, so they would have got up to Ryman 1.

For me personally, an FA Cup 1st / 2nd round tie is more likely to produce the fixture than them meet in a league (whatever league) match in the next 10 years - but I can't see it being this year, given that AFCW are only entered at the Prelim Round of the FAC !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Fair enough, all bar one point - AFC Wimbledon would have been promoted out of the CCL regardless of the Pyramid shake up, as they won the CCL last year without losing a game, so they would have got up to Ryman 1.
    Sorry didn't explain myself well there... was saying they could not get out of it in the season before last, and they would have got out of it pretty much wherever they finished the season just gone, due to the restructure.

(Original post by expression)
    For me personally, an FA Cup 1st / 2nd round tie is more likely to produce the fixture than them meet in a league (whatever league) match in the next 10 years - but I can't see it being this year, given that AFCW are only entered at the Prelim Round of the FAC !!
    Well... with MK Dons now entering at round 1 rather than 3 after their relegation, AFC only need to win 5 to make it possible... So yes, unlikely!

ReputationRep:
    was just wondering was anyone here interested in it?

ReputationRep:
    Henman isnt good enough to win any grand slam and was barely good enough to win a masters series event. his best surface is grass so if he cant win wimbledon then he cant win any of the other majors and anyway hes only good because his dad was rich and had a private court. rusedski was brought through by canada and so Britain havent really brought anybody good through the LTA.

Overall, Rusedski has had a better career then Henman and there are two better juniors then Henman coming through but they wouldnt be excepted wven if they were sucessful just like Rusedski because theyre not posh enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    also i heard juve are after campbell
    i heard that too - apparently juve think they can tempt sol because of a possible wage cut at arsenal and the whole rivalry thing between spurs and arsenal? personally, i dont think he will go - he likes to stay close to his family in london and the italian crowds are not very....erm, how to say this nicely - 'multicultural' - as in there are numerous fans who go to (lazio) futbol matches who are neo-nazis. black, brazilian and even turkish players regularly get abuse at quite a horrendous level -

ReputationRep:
    Why Chelsea not by Adriano ? He is the biggest star in Copa America now !
    I believe he is also the strongest central forward now ! In addition, he is only 22 years old, which means he still has many potential .
    I hope he can come to England one day.
    Anyone watch american soccer here ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo00000000)
    Why Chelsea not by Adriano ? He is the biggest star in Copa America now !
    I believe he is also the strongest central forward now ! In addition, he is only 22 years old, which means he still has many potential .
    I hope he can come to England one day.
    Anyone watch american soccer here ?
    why would inter wanna sell him?

ReputationRep:
    there is no way inter to sell him without a hugh money. That's why I suggest Chelsea to buy him ---it seems chelsea is the only club can afford him .

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.