Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
shishi nee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think chelski hav eplenty of centre-forwards - how many more do they need??
Dajoruna
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I follow it from a betting point of view but as a sport its pointless when you remove the money.
shishi nee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
personally, i cant stand it!
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
was just wondering was anyone here interested in it?
most boring thing ever
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I guess i am the only one, but i really like it
soilman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BazTheMoney)
A 4-way playoff: Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Retief Goosen and Tiger Woods; with Ernie winning it. I'd like Monty to come good though, but I don't think he has it mentally.
Thats ridicilously unlikely. Just cos they are supposed to be the best. The open is quite often by outsiders, like the 2004 one! Tod was 750-1
lil-pink-stars
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not so interested in horse racing, but I do enjoy watching and partaking in the other equestrian disciplines of show jumping, cross country and dressage, but I only compete at an unaffiliated level
firebladez777
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Possibly the world's most boring sport to watch. (second only to golf)
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777)
How on earth is it boring?! :confused:
shishi nee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777)
yeah -and snooker!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shishi nee)
yeah -and snooker!
what! snooker is my 2nd favourite sport to watch..golf is gd too
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
what pool 9 ball? it's all in the break!
I don't know why they bother with the actual racks, if someone pots a ball off the break they should award the rack to the person who broke off. If it doesn't go on, then the opponent gets the rack.

Why prolong the inevitable???
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 85ah11)
Anyone regularly score 30s/40s and would like to give any tips as to how to improve?

1.) Practice if you're prepared to. I'd suggest line-ups and just playing games with others of a similar or higher ability than you. Don't bother playing with those worse than you if you want to improve a lot.

2.) Keep still on the shot until the stroke is finished. If you get this right (harder said than done) then your rate of improvement should increase.

3.) Try and walk into the line of the shot you're about to attempt and not twist your body sideways, even to a small extent. This can only further encourage body movement on the shot and hence increased probability of missing the pot.

4.) Chalk the tip of the cue fairly regularly. I'd suggest every 3 shots, and definitely before one when you're playing with screwback.

5.) When your cue is resting on the edge of the table and you're playing a shot, try and keep the cue down at the back so that when you follow through, your cue is pretty much level with the table. This prohibits unintentional sidespin or not getting enough topspin on the ball. i.e.) cueing down on the ball as it were, should be avoided.

6.) When you are amongst the balls and attempt to string a few pots together, really try and think where you want the ball to be. I'd suggest at your stage, try and play for areas where you're near guaranteed getting on a colour or red even if you over run position. Try and keep around the pink and black spot, it really does help.

7.) Long straight posts hitting centre of the ball. You'll find it hard, but does wonders for your cueing action over time. Also, hitting the cueball up and down the spots is useful - Does it come back in a straight line? If not, you've imposed sidespin on the ball. Try that, but screwing the ball up an down the spots with pace. LOL, good luck.

8.) If you have the chance, do an hour or so of solo practice or with someone who you're gonna play. Try clearing the colours, or setting targets such as "spread the balls about and pot x amount." Gets your confidence going.

9.) Try and play safety in your games. Yes, you said you wanted tips on break building, but this does creates the sort of chances where you can try and improve your highest break. It's also important and good for your game in general.

10.) Don't attempt shots that are beyond you when the easy option is available.

There, enjoy.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
1.) Practice if you're prepared to. I'd suggest line-ups and just playing games with others of a similar or higher ability than you. Don't bother playing with those worse than you if you want to improve a lot.

2.) Keep still on the shot until the stroke is finished. If you get this right (harder said than done) then your rate of improvement should increase.

3.) Try and walk into the line of the shot you're about to attempt and not twist your body sideways, even to a small extent. This can only further encourage body movement on the shot and hence increased probability of missing the pot.

4.) Chalk the tip of the cue fairly regularly. I'd suggest every 3 shots, and definitely before one when you're playing with screwback.

5.) When your cue is resting on the edge of the table and you're playing a shot, try and keep the cue down at the back so that when you follow through, your cue is pretty much level with the table. This prohibits unintentional sidespin or not getting enough topspin on the ball. i.e.) cueing down on the ball as it were, should be avoided.

6.) When you are amongst the balls and attempt to string a few pots together, really try and think where you want the ball to be. I'd suggest at your stage, try and play for areas where you're near guaranteed getting on a colour or red even if you over run position. Try and keep around the pink and black spot, it really does help.

7.) Long straight posts hitting centre of the ball. You'll find it hard, but does wonders for your cueing action over time. Also, hitting the cueball up and down the spots is useful - Does it come back in a straight line? If not, you've imposed sidespin on the ball. Try that, but screwing the ball up an down the spots with pace. LOL, good luck.

8.) If you have the chance, do an hour or so of solo practice or with someone who you're gonna play. Try clearing the colours, or setting targets such as "spread the balls about and pot x amount." Gets your confidence going.

9.) Try and play safety in your games. Yes, you said you wanted tips on break building, but this does creates the sort of chances where you can try and improve your highest break. It's also important and good for your game in general.

10.) Don't attempt shots that are beyond you when the easy option is available.

There, enjoy.
Nima, whats ur highest break
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Nima, whats ur highest break
In a normal frame: 121
Competitive: 106
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
In a normal frame: 121
Competitive: 106
impressive
shishi nee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what! snooker is my 2nd favourite sport to watch..golf is gd too
what? :eek: no - snooker is right up there with darts and bowls!! where on earth is the excitement and passion in snooker?!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shishi nee)
what? :eek: no - snooker is right up there with darts and bowls!! where on earth is the excitement and passion in snooker?!
every shot makes my heart pounce :rolleyes:
shishi nee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
every shot makes my heart pounce :rolleyes:
okay dude - whatever rocks your boat.....
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
I dont agree, pool is a completely different style of play, although it is obvious that a good potter with a good cue action will do well, the style of safety and positioning required to win a frame of pool at one visit is different, with a lot more emphasis on moving single balls successfully to make room for a shot and a lot more attacking forms of safety. Although it is in a sense too easy for beginners, i still requires a lot of skill and practice to become a master. I am useless at snooker and my highest break is 31, my friend is very skilled andgoes past this on a regular basis but rarely plays pool - i play it all the time and when we play together i more often than not win. It's all down to personal preference really.

G-W-D
I'd say there's even more unpredictability with pool than there is with snooker, because if you're at a certain standard then clearing up in 1 visit is a regular thing.

In snooker, it's far more complex and far more skillful and far more dependant on what you do rather than whether a ball goes in off the break.

Pool is more enjoyable though, depends what mood you're in.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed