Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, because he's pretty much useless nowdays. Arsenal don't need to worry about losing to Leicester City, should they ever meet.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The only way Chelsea will be able to spend loads of money and win something is if they buy every single player in the world so that other teams can't play.
Mutsuhito
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
One thing I cannot quite comprehend about football is the lack of appreciation the supporters of any particular team have for their opponents, I contrast this with Cricket for instance. It gets to the point of absurdity where upon listening to a group of fans, one wonders whether it’s all a pretence that’s being put on. Is it for real? When a certain player moves to a rival club, those inevitable chants of ‘betrayal, is it a bit of fun, or are football supporters really that closed-minded?
firebladez777
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
what! snooker is my 2nd favourite sport to watch..golf is gd too
Re:snooker...I agree.(Football taking precedence of course...maybe cricket too). Re: golf....I personally find golf one of the more soporific sports, but if you like that kind of thing (I guess it's becuase I tend to prefer faster-paced sports)

(Original post by roxypotter)
its a science.
anyway f1 is the most boring sport ever.
Essentially, yes, it may be a science, but then so is all sport. F1 is far, far better than horse racing, however.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
lets face it, its not even a sport. the only point to it is the betting
technically, it is a sport, rather similar to athletics- running..etc, but i just dont look at it as a sport...
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mutsuhito)
One thing I cannot quite comprehend about football is the lack of appreciation the supporters of any particular team have for their opponents, I contrast this with Cricket for instance. It gets to the point of absurdity where upon listening to a group of fans, one wonders whether it’s all a pretence that’s being put on. Is it for real? When a certain player moves to a rival club, those inevitable chants of ‘betrayal, is it a bit of fun, or are football supporters really that closed-minded?
It is forced into football fans from birth to hate the local rival team (unless they are really crap ), some take it seriously, some dont, im not too bothered but i wouldnt cross the road to shake hands with a norwich fan Cricket certainly is a friendlier sport, i was at headingley the other day and apart from '******shire' chants it was sound. Aslong as nobody boos a national anthem sport is all good
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
was just wondering was anyone here interested in it?
Love it! My grandfather used to own a few. I go to the racing carnivals every year in Brisbane and Sydney if im down there, I bet on it, I love watching it. Ive won more than Ive lost and most years I can pick the Melbourne Cup winners (biggest race in Sth. Hemisphere).
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777)
Possibly the world's most boring sport to watch. (second only to golf)
Not at all. It's very exciting to watch- four horses neck and neck going over the last fence and an uphill slog through the mud, or thirty horses in a five furlong sprint... both are very exciting. What you mean is that in between the races, when you aren't watching, is boring. But that's when the bookies make the money to subsidise it.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The thing is Chelsea aren't buying world class players, never mind specifically strikers. They're buying good quality players with a fair bit of potential. They paid £24M for Drogba. I would rather have a proven world class striker like Vieiri for the few seasons he has left in him than a half decent player.

They have the money to afford practically any striker in the world, yet they're buying the Kezmans and Drogbas of the world - don't get me wrong, they're good players, but they're no Ronaldo, Vieri, Shevchenko etc.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I agree, if you can get a player like Drogba for £10m or less, good deal, but Chelsea are paying world-class prices for good, but not world-class players
Pzyko
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
The thing is Chelsea aren't buying world class players, never mind specifically strikers. They're buying good quality players with a fair bit of potential. They paid £24M for Drogba. I would rather have a proven world class striker like Vieiri for the few seasons he has left in him than a half decent player.

They have the money to afford practically any striker in the world, yet they're buying the Kezmans and Drogbas of the world - don't get me wrong, they're good players, but they're no Ronaldo, Vieri, Shevchenko etc.
If I were a Chelsea supporter, I'd be very happy with the Drogba deal, and would currently choose him ahead of Vieri every time. Shevchenko's a different story, but considering age and what he's going to offer in the Premiership (i.e. his pace and strength combined with skill, brilliant first touch and aerial ability), there's few better options than Drogba. I think if he were coming from Spain or Italy, opinion would be very different.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
but they're no Ronaldo, Vieri, Shevchenko etc.
Vieri - he was absolutely pittiful in Euro 2004.
Ronaldo - ****e, overated by a mile, still injured from 98 World Cup.
Shevchenko - Patchy form.
Pzyko
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
Shevchenko - Patchy form.
And yet probably the best striker in league football last season, after Henry.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mutsuhito)

The fact that football supporters are passionate about their sport, means that they are bearly going to applaud an opponent playing a wonderful crossfield ball, instead would rather see it as a fault in their own team.

Sometimes you have to appriciate quality, other times it's annoyance that your own have been undone so seemingly easily.

As for local rivals, we geniunely do hate Chesterfield, they hate us, and it won't change ! But at an England match would I stand next to a Chesterfield fan in the pub, yeah of course, that day you're supporting the same team.

Wierd world of football.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Robben is probably going to be the best signing they have made this summer. He will turn out really good one day.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Robben is probably going to be the best signing they have made this summer. He will turn out really good one day.
agreed
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

LOL sorry, vieri? why would you want vieri in the premiership, do you seriously think he can play premiership football? --and even if so, we must ask - does he suit chelsea's style of play! - no he doesnt! we are not the type of team that always supply long balls to the forwards, we are way more direct going, which does not suit vieri.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No way is he betraying arsenal. He's been brilliant for arsenal, but he is getting old. Plus, he's not moving to Tottenham/Man U/Chelsea.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
£30m looks like a snip to me, for the most consistant midfielder in the Premiership over the last five seasons.

If he is sold, they won't get Gerrard either - Arsenal can only stand to lose out, Big T.
The club don't want Viera to leave, but they know that if Viera says he wants to go, they can't stop him.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777)
Re:snooker...I agree.(Football taking precedence of course...maybe cricket too). Re: golf....I personally find golf one of the more soporific sports, but if you like that kind of thing (I guess it's becuase I tend to prefer faster-paced sports)

Essentially, yes, it may be a science, but then so is all sport. F1 is far, far better than horse racing, however.
hello! with f1 you are watching machines going round and round. at least horses aren't the same every time.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads