Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Not at all. It's very exciting to watch- four horses neck and neck going over the last fence and an uphill slog through the mud, or thirty horses in a five furlong sprint... both are very exciting. What you mean is that in between the races, when you aren't watching, is boring. But that's when the bookies make the money to subsidise it.
    at last a sane person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freglish)
    Send an e-mail to [email protected] with yes or no!I will report bac with my findings.Has Keown betrayed Arsenal with a move to Portsmouth?
    No in what way has Keown betrayed Arsenal, it was his time to move although you may love a club, everyone knows you can't play for them forever. The only way he would have betrayed us would have been if he moved to Spurs!...But that would have never had happened!

ReputationRep:
    this is a rather ridiculous thread as the person didnt explain why he had betrayed them? and why the need for an email?

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to run this GWD?

ReputationRep:
    we must! this looks awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo00000000)
    Why Chelsea not by Adriano ? He is the biggest star in Copa America now !
    I believe he is also the strongest central forward now ! In addition, he is only 22 years old, which means he still has many potential
    I hope he can come to England one day.
    Anyone watch american soccer here ?
    Adriano is soo good!!! Man Utd were scouting him about 2 years ago! But nothing seemed to come from that.

He actaully is amazing!! :eek:

He has it all: Strength, Power, Skill, Great technique, Speed, and a wicked finisher with his head or feet.
    He is my second favourite player. :cool:

INter - Perugia last season ~ He was incredible in that match, single handedly won the game for Inter when they were down and almost out! :cool:

(If anyone from Manchester United reads this, please God tell Fergie to sign him!)

ReputationRep:
    Foreign managers, players, owners......just when will fans open their eyes.

Take a club like Middlesborough for example. Wouldnt it be great if the players were developed within the local area (an area of high unemployment and crime) and then I'm sure they would produce some quality players - after all these modern day foreign imports are not all successfull as the likes of Zola etc were.

ps. Sven as england manager is the biggest ****-up ever

ReputationRep:
    Blooding English youth is a very risky strategy for any club in the Premiership. Which ensures only the very best come through. It is far easier for clubs to buy foreigners who have already played the game professionally. It's also usually far cheaper as young English footballers have enormous price tags put on them (partly through sheer chronic overhype by our good press).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Blooding English youth is a very risky strategy for any club in the Premiership. Which ensures only the very best come through. It is far easier for clubs to buy foreigners who have already played the game professionally. It's also usually far cheaper as young English footballers have enormous price tags put on them (partly through sheer chronic overhype by our good press).

In the long term it is more logical to develop the players..take Rooney and Smith for example - PURE profit made on their sales.

And of course there are the young kids out there with the talent...its just that some fool like Mourinho would think more about buying a foreigner Tiato for 8m than spending a few thousand on developing youth. Foreign managers do not care about british youth and are too focussed on short term success.

ReputationRep:
    Clubs are too focused on the short term, but they should be, as in football the short term has huge long-term implications. Many relegated clubs don't get another sniff of the top flight. Just look at Sheffield Wednesday.

Clubs won't risk the chance of a title, or relegation, or European qualification, by picking an untried youth over a proven foreigner. Players like Rooney and Smith can come through because their clubs are at the time relatively stable and unambitious, with lower quality in the competition for places.

ReputationRep:
    As some of you basketball fans may know, the lakers have made several changes in the offseason so far. They no longer have shaq or phil. Have most of our wishes come true and the lakers have finally met their downfall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    As some of you basketball fans may know, the lakers have made several changes in the offseason so far. They no longer have shaq or phil. Have most of our wishes come true and the lakers have finally met their downfall?
    Yes, the sun has set on the laker franchise. They also may lose kobe to the clippers-or jail. Shame really, i hope he is proven innocent.

ReputationRep:
    I think the accusations are baseless but maybe they will force him to retire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    They no longer have shaq
    where's shaq gone? (i don't really watch NBA- only a bit when the playoffs are on)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    where's shaq gone? (i don't really watch NBA- only a bit when the playoffs are on)
    Shaq was traded to Miami (he asked to be traded).

It's gonna be a lot easier for teams to stop the Lakers now, since they won't have Shaq dominating. Yeah, they'll still have to contain Kobe, but it's a big plus not having to deal with Shaq too. Getting Divac was good, apparently he plays Shaq better than anyone else in the league. Another thing, their bench is terrible; they aren't a deep team at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Shaq was traded to Miami (he asked to be traded).
    did that have anything to do with him not getting on with Kobe? or was it just a new career move sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    did that have anything to do with him not getting on with Kobe? or was it just a new career move sort of thing?
    I think it was more to do with them getting rid of their coach, Phil Jackson and that they wanted to build around Kobe (I think they didn't wanna give Shaq a contract extension).

ReputationRep:
    Firstly it interesting that you choose Boro as they have a very good youth system and have managed to get to the youth FA cup final two years in a row. Players like Stuart Downing (talented left midfielder, England watch out) and Andrew Davies were both given first team opportunties last season. Boro teams in the past have been weighted far to much towards foreign imports but I do not necessarily think that is the case any more. At Boro in the past there was no youth talent to put into the team that could match what we could buy for little money, that is no longer the case and team selection has changed acordingly.

Lastly Sven is possibley the best manager we have had since 1996. He has lost just 3 competivite matches against Brazil, France and Portugal. To think that we were in a similar position to the Germans after euro 2000 and to compare the teams now how what a joke that accusation is.

(Original post by eddiedaboss)
    In the long term it is more logical to develop the players..take Rooney and Smith for example - PURE profit made on their sales.

And of course there are the young kids out there with the talent...its just that some fool like Mourinho would think more about buying a foreigner Tiato for 8m than spending a few thousand on developing youth. Foreign managers do not care about british youth and are too focussed on short term success.
    Tiago is a great player. English players don't -usually- have the technique skills that latin american or portuguese etc players have. They add some spice to the league, don't they?

ReputationRep:
    He's on a one year contract, which includes him doing some coaching. I think he'll be a good signing - he's a good leader and will hopefully be a role model for some of our other defenders to learn off.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.