Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey piginapoke, do you create systems? i know ur abit of an i.t. guy, i'll try and do something in visual basic in the next few days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    hey piginapoke, do you create systems? i know ur abit of an i.t. guy, i'll try and do something in visual basic in the next few days
    Yeah, plus youre even more regular than the wolf (in the ukl attendance stakes...!) so youd be awesome moderating material!

ReputationRep:
    well done straussy and rob key.... the Sky Sports centre commentary team kept ****ging off rob key, saying he should be brought on to roll the pitch at lunch time, etc, but he's fought off all the critics, including myself! i thought he was just a pie muncer until today....

unfortunately my fav player tresco went out early again if he'd stayed in we'd be on about 500 runs by now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    well done straussy and rob key.... the Sky Sports centre commentary team kept ****ging off rob key, saying he should be brought on to roll the pitch at lunch time, etc, but he's fought off all the critics, including myself! i thought he was just a pie muncer until today....

unfortunately my fav player tresco went out early again if he'd stayed in we'd be on about 500 runs by now!
    I know i felt a bit sorry for tresco, but i really pleased strauss got a second 100, although i'm not convinced with Rob Key, he has been in very good form for county so whether the high schring will countine once his forms drops is unknown.

ReputationRep:
    Not only are Boro the current FA Youth Cup Champions, I do believe we are the last side in the Premiership to field 11 British players, even though that was 3/4 seasons ago. Just as a matter of interest (or not) if I recall rightly the team was

Crossley
    Stockdale Ehiogu Cooper Fleming
    Stamp Mustoe Ince Johnston
    Deane Whelan

Anyway. I just wanted to take issue with you choosing Boro (as Speciez has already done, which was nice), that is all.

ReputationRep:
    My passport is at the ready.

Juninho does deserve the chance to play in Boro's first game in Europe. He is my favourite player ever ever ever. But if Steve McClaren decides he doesn't fit into our first XI then fair enough. Juninho is 31, he's lost a bit of pace, and seemingly any passing ability he did (or arguably didn't) have in the first place. However, for this season we have something we've never had before. TWO quality strikers who can hold the ball up and play around the Little Fella. It will be interesting to see if McClaren decides to risk it and go brave with a 4-3-1-2, or go 4-4-2 and leave him on the bench.

Whatever happens, I'll always love Juninho. But he isn't the team, and if it's best for him to go, then it's best for him to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Not only are Boro the current FA Youth Cup Champions, I do believe we are the last side in the Premiership to field 11 British players, even though that was 3/4 seasons ago. Just as a matter of interest (or not) if I recall rightly the team was

Crossley
    Stockdale Ehiogu Cooper Fleming
    Stamp Mustoe Ince Johnston
    Deane Whelan

Anyway. I just wanted to take issue with you choosing Boro (as Speciez has already done, which was nice), that is all.
    Ipswich were the last team im pretty sure, depends if you include matt holland as an english national person or his second nationality irish nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I don't know visual basic... why not just use Excel? I've seen people do this sort of thing in that, should be easy enough.
    I tried and failed, it is possible but it just wasnt easy enough to use once created, multiple if commands and stupidly poor formatting of cells makes it a hassle. That said, if you can pull it off where ive failed, by all means go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    And of course there are the young kids out there with the talent...its just that some fool like Mourinho would think more about buying a foreigner Tiato for 8m than spending a few thousand on developing youth. Foreign managers do not care about british youth and are too focussed on short term success.
    Didn't Gerrard Houllier say something about wanting more English players in his squad some time ago?

ReputationRep:
    Let's get this straight.

You want everyone to make predictions for the scorelines of the weekend matches (to be submitted before the weekend), and then the same for any midweek euro games (to be submitted before the tuesday games), and after each round of matches the scores calculated and published, is this correct?

Do you want a submission-based system where people can submit their predictions only once, or some kind of flexible system where people can change them any time up to the deadline? What will the scoring system be like, will there be points awarded for getting the result correct even if the score is wrong for example?
    I think the scoring system should be identical to post 14 of the thread but if there are any other ideas then go for it. As for submissions, they should all be submitted in one go before a deadling, probably 10pm fridays and mondays - i was just checking demand but seen as its going ahead then me and wolf are working on definitive rules, PM me with ideas, youre quite welcome!

Thats the general idea anyway, theres still loads to work out, is it hosted on ukl or on a link from the 'about' section for example, and if it is on a site of its own, what other options could be implemented away from the general rules to make the site worthwhile?

Regards
    G-W-D

ReputationRep:
    I should read things a little more carefully, I didn't see that post about the scoring.

I see two or three general methods we could use:

1) Create a website somewhere that will let people enter their scores online, and allow administrators to enter scores as they come in and hence players' scores are updated on the site.

2) Have a program (e.g. a spreadsheet) on someone's computer, and have predictions submitted by email or PM, and score updates broadcast either here or on a website.

I would be in favour of 1) as we won't be reliant on a single person too much for any one thing, and the whole process will be more transparent, e.g. won't have to wait for an email of PM reply to know your predictions have been submitted.
    But would too much transparency ruin the single player ness of the game i.e. would it be too tempting for someone at the bottom to copy the top player? I suppose we have the time to implement a copy proof system, if someone coincidentally has the same predictions for 4 weeks we could have the quartered Anyway, bed calls, later people!

ReputationRep:
    Let me know if you need to share out the workload, and I'd be willing to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    My passport is at the ready.

Juninho does deserve the chance to play in Boro's first game in Europe. He is my favourite player ever ever ever. But if Steve McClaren decides he doesn't fit into our first XI then fair enough. Juninho is 31, he's lost a bit of pace, and seemingly any passing ability he did (or arguably didn't) have in the first place. However, for this season we have something we've never had before. TWO quality strikers who can hold the ball up and play around the Little Fella. It will be interesting to see if McClaren decides to risk it and go brave with a 4-3-1-2, or go 4-4-2 and leave him on the bench.

Whatever happens, I'll always love Juninho. But he isn't the team, and if it's best for him to go, then it's best for him to go.
    I agree wholeheartedly with that!!! And I am so glad that he has come back to us, it just been a shame that his career has been disrupted by injuries to his knee,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    Hi All,

I've seen the idea of UKL fantasy footy and everything been thrown around the forum over past months such as the European championships thing but last season my mates and I had a predictions league instead and it was good, and much more interesting in my opinions. Basically, i was just wondering if anybody is interesting in re-creating such a league for UKL on a larger scale, say ten matches per saturday and midweek games for champions league etc. If people are interested, is there anybody who would like to share the workload, particularly if they're good at site/group building and autonomy (sending out individual pm's or emails to every player could be time consuming!)

Cheers all

G-W-D
    I'd love to get involved

ReputationRep:
    Tell me what you think! Will Morientes be in an Arsenal jersey next season?

ReputationRep:
    Please give me your opinion whether the £25million move to Arsenal is a rumour or will happen, will he move?

ReputationRep:
    Ok i think you must be mad!All the best players (Henry,Viera,Van Nistlerooy,Duff) are foreign, if we had less of them we would have the most boring league in the world, and if you think about it England isn't an endlous supply of talent, we have Rooney and David Bentley apart from that we suck when it comes to youth football. It would soon evolve into a bunch of Paul Scholes with red face's and clashing hair!

please think what your saying,

freglish

P: GET A JOB !

ReputationRep:

What happens when a player fails to submit any predictions for a round of matches? Do they receive zero points for that round, or could we let them have a randomly generated set of predictions? This may be handy for people who are away unexpectedly.

I'll have a deeper think about this later.
    Last time i played, people were allowed two wildcards, ie. two weeks that could be missed where they were giving an automatic score, say 5 points for the week which probably wont be up to their usual average but give them something to tick the score over if their on holiday. after the two wildcards have been used we could possibly keep them in the ame and giving 0's for a number of weeks, but after so many 0's just remove them fromthe score chart.

ReputationRep:
    Thats not the point though. The point being we should have a good youth system, but we don't. You're right, it's not as if there's hundreds of good young players out there who can't get in the teams because of foreigners, the problem lies further down at grass roots level, but its all relative - there's no good youth players because there isn't a good youth system, not the other way around. Money and effort is being placed in to buying cheaper foreign exports when perhaps, it would be better to invest it in youth academies or such setups, as teams like Ajax, and even Crewe show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    And of course there are the young kids out there with the talent...its just that some fool like Mourinho would think more about buying a foreigner Tiato for 8m than spending a few thousand on developing youth. Foreign managers do not care about british youth and are too focussed on short term success.
    I think you're wrong there. Before Mourinho arrived at Chelsea....the method at Chelsea was very much..."There's a first team...then a reserve team and U19's..etc." Since his arrival, he has stated that he wants to develop the youth at Chelsea much more, so that the younger players are actually training with the First team..

i.e. rather than keeping the teams as completely separate as was previously done....he's looking at the whole club and all its players regardless of age and standard...and trying to integrate them into one big "community".

This, therefore, can only lead to the younger english players gaining valuable experience from playing and training alongside the older more experienced first team players....and so will develop young english talent as opposed to neglecting it as you say.

The reason for buying Tiago is that he needs a midfielder in Tiago's style, and while it may be nice to try and build talent from inside the club instead of signing him, what do chelsea do in the short term? Generating talent through the youth teams takes time, and so it would be another couple of years before any young english player like Tiago would come through at Chelsea.

G

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.