Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cricket is played between two teams who each get a chance to bat and bowl.

When they bat a batsman is in until he’s out. When he’s out the next batsman comes in until he’s out.

When all the batsmen are out, the team is all out, apart from one batsman who is not out.

The team that were fielding then go into bat until they are all out and it is a case of the team who scored the most being the winner
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Cricket is played between two teams who each get a chance to bat and bowl.

When they bat a batsman is in until he’s out. When he’s out the next batsman comes in until he’s out.

When all the batsmen are out, the team is all out, apart from one batsman who is not out.

The team that were fielding then go into bat until they are all out and it is a case of the team who scored the most being the winner

Now, I'm actually quite a fan of cricket, but that just confused me - god knows what it did to scarlet
The Albatross
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what?? thats confusing. how to they get out? and how do they score 'runs'. they never seem to do any running!
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Now, I'm actually quite a fan of cricket, but that just confused me - god knows what it did to scarlet
Lol..you got that right...ok..here's my go:

Each side consists of eleven players. The one you've just been watching is test cricket; each side has 2 innings (i.e.bats twice.)

There are 2 batters for one side on the field at any one time for th batting team...and the other team's eleven players all field.

A batsman is out when:
1) The ball hits the stumps(three pieces of wood behind him) after being bowled...or he hits the stumps himself
2) He hits the ball...but it is caught before it hits the ground
3) He is run out, i.e. he isn't over the line and the ball hits the stumps as he runs between the two ends to get runs.

Runs ar scored when:
1) The two batsmen run to the other end. Each time the batsmen reach the other end...it's one run.
2) The ball is hit over the boundary rope without bouncing first: 6 runs
3) The ball goes over the boundary rope, after hitting the ground beforehand: 4runs

The idea is to get as many runs as possible...to win....you need more runs overall than your opposition.

That's very very basic...and even then it was damn hard to type out! I give up!

G
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Right, I'll have a go.

Two teams. One bats, while one 'fields'.

The batting team will have two team members on the field to bat. The fielding team will have one bowler, and the rest fielding, or in other words, there to get the ball when it comes near them.

On the field, there are three stumps with a wicket on top - the bowlers have to try and bowl the ball at the wicket and knock it off the stumps, while the batsman stands in front of them, and trys to hit the ball when the bwolers bowl it.

If they hit the ball, they get a chance to run to the stumps opposite them, where the other batsman is stood. The other batsman also runs, back to where the first one was orginally stood. If they complete one of these 'runs' before the ball is thrown back at the stumps by a fielder, they get a run on the scorecard. They get four runs if the ball they hit reaches the end of the field, and they get six runs if the bal goes over this boundary.

They are out when the wicket is knocked off the stump, the ball is caught by a fielder without hitting the ground, or they are adjudged to have blocked the ball hitting the stumps with their legs - lbw - leg before wicket.

When they are out, another batsman from the team comes out to bat, until 10 of them are out. Then the teams swap tasks, and the other team tries to score more runs than the other one did.

If that makes sense.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ah well, now there's two replies to confuse people with...... :rolleyes:
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Right, I'll have a go.

Two teams. One bats, while one 'fields'.

The batting team will have two team members on the field to bat. The fielding team will have one bowler, and the rest fielding, or in other words, there to get the ball when it comes near them.

On the field, there are three stumps with a wicket on top - the bowlers have to try and bowl the ball at the wicket and knock it off the stumps, while the batsman stands in front of them, and trys to hit the ball when the bwolers bowl it.

If they hit the ball, they get a chance to run to the stumps opposite them, where the other batsman is stood. The other batsman also runs, back to where the first one was orginally stood. If they complete one of these 'runs' before the ball is thrown back at the stumps by a fielder, they get a run on the scorecard. They get four runs if the ball they hit reaches the end of the field, and they get six runs if the bal goes over this boundary.

They are out when the wicket is knocked off the stump, the ball is caught by a fielder without hitting the ground, or they are adjudged to have blocked the ball hitting the stumps with their legs - lbw - leg before wicket.

When they are out, another batsman from the team comes out to bat, until 10 of them are out. Then the teams swap tasks, and the other team tries to score more runs than the other one did.

If that makes sense.
Damn..i forgot to mentioned lbw...lol...ohwell.....combine mine and goldenbarnes' explanantions....you're pretty much there!

G
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Damn..i forgot to mentioned lbw...lol...ohwell.....combine mine and goldenbarnes' explanantions....you're pretty much there!

G
And I forgot to mention being run out..........

I guess we're just a good team
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And I forgot to mention being run out..........

I guess we're just a good team
And what a team eh?!?

Btw- i'm not even gonna try and explain the lbw rules regarding in line and pitching out of line...etc....far too confusing for a friday evening

G
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Far too confusing for any time of the week. Even the relatively simple concepts of innings, one-dayers and other such stuff was too hard for me to try and explain. I got confused even thinking of explaining them.

I guess you have to watch a lot of it and eventually just 'get it'.....
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Far too confusing for any time of the week. Even the relatively simple concepts of innings, one-dayers and other such stuff was too hard for me to try and explain. I got confused even thinking of explaining them.

I guess you have to watch a lot of it and eventually just 'get it'.....
Yeah..i like those little things like..at the lunchbreaks that C4 do....explaining some of the more complex rules of the game.

G
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I like Channel 4's coverage as well, far better than Sky Sports.

Talking about today's action (I think we were anyway), I was well impressed once more by Strauss. Sometimes he's a world beater, sometimes he's..........not :confused:
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I like Channel 4's coverage as well, far better than Sky Sports.

Talking about today's action (I think we were anyway), I was well impressed once more by Strauss. Sometimes he's a world beater, sometimes he's..........not :confused:
Yeah..i know what you mean..but he's got the makings of a great batsman for england...just needs to play like he is/was earlier consistently!

Did you see the lunch break with Muraliteran today?? What a bowler!!!

G
m:)ckel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Did you see the lunch break with Muraliteran today?? What a bowler!!!
G
why? what was it about?
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
On the subject of Strauss, after his amazing first test I declared to everyone (who cared) that he was just going to be a one test wonder. His dip in form then seemed to validate my comment.......but now, I don't know if I'm really still sceptical of his abilities or if I'm just being stubborn and won't accept he will actually be that good....
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mockel)
why? what was it about?
He was showing how he bowled his off-spin, top-spin and his doosra balls....and also about his arm and he bowled with a brace on showing that he doesn't straighten his arm as he bowls.....basically the validity of his action.

G
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
On the subject of Strauss, after his amazing first test I declared to everyone (who cared) that he was just going to be a one test wonder. His dip in form then seemed to validate my comment.......but now, I don't know if I'm really still sceptical of his abilities or if I'm just being stubborn and won't accept he will actually be that good....
Well..i'll reserve judgement till i've seen the other tests.

G
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
He was showing how he bowled his off-spin, top-spin and his doosra balls....and also about his arm and he bowled with a brace on showing that he doesn't straighten his arm as he bowls.....basically the validity of his action.

G
ah, okay...
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
is anyone following the asia cup?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And how many ways are there to get out?

Think it's 11...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.81%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.64%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.6%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.74%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise