5) Stumping
    6) Hit wicket
    7) Double Hit
    8) Timed out
    9) Handled the ball
    10) Obstructing the field
    according to http://www.lords.org/cricket/laws.asp

ReputationRep:
    You know, the last time I checked, the knicks hadn't made one single trade this season. What is going on in New York? They aren't going to win anything this year if they don't improve their team.

ReputationRep:
    Its over for the Lakers, Kobe is incapable of supporting the team alone. He has grown too accustomed to having Shaq present, he also has another battle in court which is another issue, and it must place immense mental strain on him. If the Lakers couldn't win with Shaq, Kobe, Payton, Malone, and Phil Jackson they stand no chance of winning now.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, they Vlade isn't really a downlow pressence. The lakers or going to get torn apart in the low post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    You know, the last time I checked, the knicks hadn't made one single trade this season. What is going on in New York? They aren't going to win anything this year if they don't improve their team.
    This is true. They're still trying to get Jamal Crawford and maybe Erick Dampier. Something needs to be done for sure. There was a 4 way deal with Toronto, Dallas, Golden State and NY in which the Knicks would get Antoine Walker and Erick Dampier. Only problem was Isiah wanted to include Shandon Anderson instead of Kurt Thomas. I don't like Walker myself as he shoots too many 3s, but Isiah covets him. I'd include Thomas, then Sweetney would be playing some (though I guess not much, I think Walker plays close to 40 mins a game).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    7) Double Hit
    8) Timed out
    9) Handled the ball
    10) Obstructing the field
    according to http://www.lords.org/cricket/laws.asp
    i knew about 7) and 9), but the others are stupid and almost never happen

ReputationRep:
    Here we go...

Cricket is played with two teams of eleven, with two umpires (referees) on an oval shaped field. The size of the field varies, but generally has a diameter of around 200 metres. A cricket bat is oblong shaped with a narrow handle. A full-sized bat is around 90 centimetres in length. A cricket ball is made of cork and covered with leather, and is then stitched up. A ball weighs around 10 ounces.

In the middle of the field is what is known as a pitch. A pitch is a hard, flat strip of dry ground around 18 metres long. Two batsman are at the pitch at a time, both at different ends, with one facing the delivery of the ball from the bowler. The bowler runs up to the pitch where he bowls the ball overarm with a straight arm. Further details on the correct bowling action can be found here .

Teams score by getting runs. A run is completed when a batsman hits the ball and then runs to the other end of the cricket pitch, getting past the crease. The non striking batsman has to run to the opposite end as well. The batsman can run as many times as they like, but the batsmen can get out if their stumps are hit with the ball by a fielder before the batsman reaches the crease. The stumps are three sticks of equal size measuring around 90 centimetres tall with 5 centimetres separating them. Bails (small pieces of wood) are balanced on top of the stumps.

Other ways runs can be scored are by hitting boundaries. Boundaries are scored when the ball is hit and touches or goes past the outer edge of the field. Four runs are scored when the batsmen hits the ball and the ball hits the ground before reaching the outer edge of the boundary, and six runs are scored when the ball is hit and goes over the boundary without touching the ground. Runs can also be scored in the following ways: No balls, when the bowler oversteps the crease, bowls in a dangerous manner or incorrectly. A no ball is worth one run. A wide is scored when the ball goes outside the line of the pitch before coming in line with the batsman. This is also worth one run. A leg bye is scored when the ball hits the batsman but doesnt contact his bat and then proceeds to run. A bye is scored when the batsman runs without the ball coming into into contact with the batsman or his bat, and then runs.

The fielding team can get the batsman out in several ways, by 1) catching him out. This is done when the batsman hits the ball with his bat and a fielder catches the ball on the full (without bouncing). By 2) bowling him out. This happens when the bowler bowls the ball and the ball strikes the batsmans stumps or bails. By 3) leg before wicket, or LBW. This happens when the bowler bowls it and the stumps being hit by the ball are prevented when the batsmans leg gets in the way. The ball must pitch in line with the stumps. By 4) stumped, when the batsman comes forward to hit the hit but steps out of his crease, misses the ball and the fielder behind the stumps collects the ball hits the stumps before the batsman gets back behind his crease. By 5) run out, when the batsman attempts to score a run but has his stumps hit by the ball before he reaches the other crease. By 6) Hit wicket, when the batsman hits his own stumps while trying to hit the ball. By 7) retired, when the batsman voluntarily decides to finish his innings, and 8) timed out, when the next batsman doesn't appear on the pitch within two minutes of the last batsman getting out.

If the match is a 'First Class' or 'Test' match, then each side has two innings, but cannot bat their second innings immediately after their first unless they are asked to 'follow on' by the leading team, who must have a 150 run lead (in First Class) or 200 run lead (in Test matches). First class games are played over a maximum of 4 days, and Tests over 5. The team that scores the most runs overall is the team that wins. A match is declared a draw if, after 5 days, a result has not been achieved. A team can, however, declare its innings if it feels that it has a large enough lead and can bowl the other team out in the time available. If they were to stay out any longer, then they may risk a draw.

For one-day matches, each team has one innings. This innings can last anything from 20 overs (a series of 6 bowls by a bowler) to an unlimited over match. Most one day matches are played with each side having 50 overs (or 300 balls). If 10 of a team's batsman are out, the innings ends there regardless of how many balls are left to be bowled. The team that scores the most runs in their innings is the team that wins.

There you go.

ReputationRep:
    Is fbw count as separate as lbw for the sake of the rules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Is fbw count as separate as lbw for the sake of the rules?
    what is fbw?

ReputationRep:
    thanx everyone! it kinda makes sense now. maybe i'll be able to watch it without feeling so completely confoosled! the england v w.indies match- how long doe sit last? is it one of those 3 day thingys? i didn't see it to the end - were england still leading?

Edit - I just saw 85ah11's reply! i haven't even read it yet but WOW! i did say BRIEF!!!

ReputationRep:
    how long did it take you to type that, 85ah11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    what is fbw?
    foot before wicket

ReputationRep:
    Foot before Wicket? :confused:
    it counts as LBW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    thanx everyone! it kinda makes sense now. maybe i'll be able to watch it without feeling so completely confoosled! the england v w.indies match- how long doe sit last? is it one of those 3 day thingys? i didn't see it to the end - were england still leading?
    it's 5 days, and england are still well in the lead (360 runs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    foot before wicket
    oh, so same thing basically...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    how long did it take you to type that, 85ah11?
    or is it a copy and paste job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    or is it a copy and paste job?
    oh yeah, didn't think of that :rolleyes:
    here it is: http://vt.essortment.com/cricketrule_redn.htm
    most of it is copied, with a few adjustments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    This is true. They're still trying to get Jamal Crawford and maybe Erick Dampier. Something needs to be done for sure. There was a 4 way deal with Toronto, Dallas, Golden State and NY in which the Knicks would get Antoine Walker and Erick Dampier. Only problem was Isiah wanted to include Shandon Anderson instead of Kurt Thomas. I don't like Walker myself as he shoots too many 3s, but Isiah covets him. I'd include Thomas, then Sweetney would be playing some (though I guess not much, I think Walker plays close to 40 mins a game).
    Walker can come in handy in a pinch, but they still desperately need Thomas since. Who would play center if he got traded?

ReputationRep:
    G.B. centre Martin Gleeson has been sold to Warrington for £200,000 in an unusual move heralding the first major Rugby League transfer fee in years.

Saints financial problems are well documented and I fail to see how they can survive on average crowds of just under 10K with all the big name players they have in their squad.

Perhaps the bank finally called in some of the loan?

Apparantly the council wants to do a public / private partnership to develop land into a complex to include a new stadium. Perhaps this could help boost their crowds and subsequently develop new revenue.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.