Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
I know, I know. £20M on a player who is a carbon copy (sort of) of Gallss just a tincey wincey bit bettter. Waste of money in my opinion. But as you've probably guessed from that, I think Carvalho is slightly better than Gallas. Only just mind.

I'd be tempted to put Gallas at right back instead of Ferreira mind.
Yeh...i see your point...but then what's the point of having a £13M reserve right back???

Also...Smertin...he's been playing well....could be a valuable asset in midfield...maybe even ousting Makelele?????

G
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mockel)
and how long did you have to wait for that win
Maybe...but wasn't it worth it....think about how you felt when you lost that match....then imagine how good i felt

G
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I disagree. As a Middlesbrough fan, I've seen our Youth team get to the past two Youth Cup finals, winning the last one and losing the other one to Man Utd.

Highly (and I mean that, objectively) promising youngsters such as Andrew Davies (broke his leg last season just as he was getting into the first team (with Southgate and Ehiogu)), Stewart Downing (will definately play for England one day), Stuart Parnaby and James Morrison have all played first team roles, and more of last seasons team will do this year.

The point I'm trying to make, but am finding it difficult to because I seem intent on throwing hundreds of brackets in everywhere, is that nothing made me feel happier than seeing home grown lad Stewart Downing play against Fulham last season and absolutely decimate them. I felt strangely proud to see Stuart Parnaby play against Ryan Giggs and makrk him out of the game. To see Andy Davies make a vital error was saddening, but the way he picked himself up afterwards was somewhat inspirational.

Basically, the point I'm trying to make, but am finding it difficult to because I seem intent on mentioning as many Boro related incidents as I can, is homegrown players make the fans happy. A good youth system is the making of a football club and the day Boro go into Europe with 1, 2, 3, 4, or even 5 Boro born lads in the first team squad will be the finest in this club's and the town's history.

We are not an exceptional place. It's not as if we are the only place in the country with talented youngsters - but are we the only club that makes good use of them? There's certainly not many of them.

There are thousands of good young players out there, but they can't get better, and they can't get scouted if there isn't a good youth system. With good coaching and good facilities, we could produce another 10 Wayne Rooneys and Steven Gerrards.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
I remember this guy from when he toured with New Zealand in 2002, seemed a good player. Other rumors that seem to be hot at the moment are -

Hape to Saints / Hull
Thorman to Huddersfield (apparantly a done deal)
P.Sculthorpe to Wigan (yea right!)
Paul King to Leeds Rhinos
Ellis (Wakefield) to any of the "big 5"
Long to Wigan / Hull (yea right!)
Fittler to Warrington

The best one had to be the Stacey Jones to Hull thing. The Hull Daily Mail and many other newspapers reported it as a done deal and look what happened there! The same sort of thing happened with Henry Paul to Hull last year to the point that the club actually issued an official denial because it was dominating the local paper.
Huddersfield have indeed signed Thorman.

Ellis is very unlikely to go to Saints. He is contracted until 2005, meaning Saints would have to pay mega bucks to get him. Money they don't have. ' Uncle Ian talks balls' has already said he cannot replace Gleeson with a player of similar quality.

Like I said, Wigan will sign another big name player
ravs
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
i was at the natwest final 2002, and i was distraught when nasser and tres got england to 325, and when SRT was out on 146-5 i was nearly out

but this is the new india you see, we never give up, and we get victories from nowhere, the NW final was so pleasing cos it was 2 young players doing it for india.

also the odi series in pakistan, we were 2-1 down and in the 4th odi we needed to win to stay alive, pak scored 293, we needed 294 to win and were 91-3 or something, and dravid and kaif took us comfotably home from nowhere, cos we looked like losing that game

and in the final game VVS laxman scored a ton to help us win, the most pleasing thing about the ne team india is that it isnt just sachin putting his hand up now, everybody is standing up to be counted, dravid has changed his ODI game completely, sehwag is the most destructive bat in asia according to jayasuriya, laxman scored 3 odi hundreds in a week and we all know wat he has done vs australia and then ppl like yuvraj and kaif who finish innings so well and field like demons
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Zidane is without doubt a better player, theyre both excellent players but when the going gets tough it is easier to rely on Zidane, he can perform in big tournaments, scored in champions league and World cup finals, when france were down against england there was only one player who was gonna score for them. Compared to henry in big games, in the semi of the champions league versus chelsea last season he was non existant (a mix of poor playing and good workby John terry), the same goes for Euro 2004 and the last world cup where his only contribution was getting sent off. He is excellent in a normal game situation but hasnt cut it in the top matches so far for my liking.

G-W-D
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Zidane is perhaps the most technically competent footballer in the modern game. There is no comparison.
wonderboy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello,

Just spent the last few days developing a new website that lets you predict every premiership game and ranks you in leagues etc... according to how accurate you are:

http://www.premiershipprophecy.com/

Please give me suggestions to improve it before the season starts!
It is free to play, and you can make your own leagues and stuff, so maybe a UKL private league could be set up? (12 players max per private league).

Join now, and tell all your friends to!

Edit: Just read down the forum and spotted you all talking about making one of these sites! Come play with me

W.
wonderboy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://www.uk-learning.net/t55702.html

Made with good old PHP/MySQL

W.
Bart Simpson
Report 15 years ago
Zidane is way better than Henry
m:)ckel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Maybe...but wasn't it worth it....think about how you felt when you lost that match....then imagine how good i felt

G
yeah, i was gutted (of course!) but i didn't feel so bad at the end of the season
Bart Simpson
Report 15 years ago
:cool: England are going to beat West Indies Brian Lara isnt good anymore!! :cool:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
you've got sooooo many players now

feel sorry for the likes of Parker, Joe Cole and Johnson who all signed and will really struggle to play now
So do I. Back to the foreign club *sighs*
Poseidon
Report 15 years ago
Well I think there is no saying that Zidane is a way better than Henry simply because he is a more complete player. Moreover he's technically a MONSTER with awesome skills. I think only a few players can boast about having such great skills. Also Zidane's game vision is wider than Henry's and Zidane's experience is longer too...
Zidane is clearly the type of player that can change the outcome of the game by his acts. he scores some terrific goals in matches where the tension is at its utmost!!
henry hasn't yet showed a lot in the greatest Competitions such as C. League or World Cup.

But Henry's advantage is that unlike Zidane he is still somehow young, whilst the latter has already most of his career as a football player behind him.
lotus_lee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello all footie fans....

Just thought I'd start a thread for Chelsea fans..about Chelsea.

Talk about news of Chelsea and your opinions...as well as anything else you wanna talk about

First things first....Chelsea have signed Carvalho for about £20M!!!

What are your views on this....??

G
Hmm.....£20m does sound too much for a central defender, especially if they aren't world-class or potentially world-class. Unless he is guaranteed a place in the first team, then I think it will be a waste of money. No-one heard of him before Euro 2004.

This is like CM 03/04 but with unlimited money.
lotus_lee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
3-4-3?! Look at the players - it's 3-0-7!
More like 3-0-4-3, since Totti, Nedved and Cristiano Ronaldo (you did mean him right?) can play as attacking midfielders instead.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Zidane by far. The man is up there with Pele and Maradona. Henry, although a great player, is not in that league.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
So do I. Back to the foreign club *sighs*
I dunno...still got Lampard, Terry and Bridge as the backbone of the team...and i have a feeling Cole will play more than just a bit part this season.

G
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anybody collect these/used to?

When I was younger I had literally hundreds of them - I had all the Liverpool team, all the Man Utd team, all the England team, selected others, and all the Boro players they did. I haven't bought any for ages, although I did get some Microstars for easter once, which was nice.

Anyway, having just been on the Corinthians main website I see they're releasing a special Boro Carling Cup Winners edition pack, which looks great (if you're interested its on the homepage towards the bottom).

All this and the fact that this season's Juninho has been 'dirty sanchezzed'.

Scary
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dunno...still got Lampard, Terry and Bridge as the backbone of the team...and i have a feeling Cole will play more than just a bit part this season.

G
I just feel that with a foreign manager he may not be so inclined in wanting English players in his squads, though I know there are some out there. I've no problem with foreign people but we have to endure the stigma of foreign players in our squad. At least, I used to at secondary school.

May be Kenyon ought to do something about this? When Peter and Roman saw the England game I wonder if this has any bearings with Chelsea?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.35%
Not great so far... (212)
35.57%
I want to drop out! (116)
19.46%

Watched Threads