Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Erm... evidence suggests the Chinese invented it.
though we invented the name soccer, and seemingly instanttly fell out of love with it.
m:)ckel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hihihihi)
he just too damn good
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/h...00/3173661.stm
i have beaten him actually (ages ago though)...let me try again...
hihihihi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it comes from aSOCiation or something
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Football is a generic term which encompasses various codes of the game and has several meanings depending on where you live on the face of the planet.

In the U.S.A. it means what we in Britian regard as "American Football" whilst in Europe, South America and Asia it means the game played with the round ball.

If you are in Queensland or New South Wales it generally means Rugby League however in Western Australia it means Aussie Rules.

"Soccer" is an abreviation for "Association Football".
wonderboy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
That at first impession does look impressive, i will scrutinise further!

*The 12 player rule does seem to be a bit limiting for UKL's size, if you could interlink leagues so you move up and down 'divisions' according to how well you are doing then that would be good. Or even just increasing the numebr fo players!
Sure - How many are you after, it would just be a case of changing one or two lines of code... I was just thinking private leagues could be used for small groups of friends, but I guess if you have larger online communities wanting to play then they will want more!

I also have to change the high scoring bonus slightly (Not sure if anyone has even bothered taking a look at that)...

Any other chages you think I should make, or maybe some additional features? There are quite a few people signing up and not making predictions.

Any ideas on how to get more and more people to sign up? I want to have a LARGE number of active members come August 14th. Anyone have some contacts in high places ?

Thanks for positive comments + rep!

W.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Erm... evidence suggests the Chinese invented it.
No that wasn't football in the sense we're talking about. I forgot the name of it, it was on TV not so long ago. Think it was a program by UEFA or something.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Football is a generic term which encompasses various codes of the game and has several meanings depending on where you live on the face of the planet.

In the U.S.A. it means what we in Britian regard as "American Football" whilst in Europe, South America and Asia it means the game played with the round ball.

If you are in Queensland or New South Wales it generally means Rugby League however in Western Australia it means Aussie Rules.

"Soccer" is an abreviation for "Association Football".
You've missed out Canada and Ireland

Just call it English football then!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Lol...that'll never happen...unless Abramovich somehow manages to lose 6 billion on the stock market????

G
Big losses are not unknown in the stock market, though I doubt it with the magnitude which will concern Chelsea.
m:)ckel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
okay, don't know if anyone still cares, but i finally beat him
Attached files
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Football football football
Was going to say that, but since I have just come on, you beat me to it. Now I'm in Canada, where they all say SOCCER!!!!!! Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!
And to add to this argument. The name 'football' wins hands down. Why americans etc use fotball in the name 'american football' is beyond me. It's absurd to call a game where hands are used, football.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
R4's 7-30 sport coverage this morning. The entire bulletin (apart from the racing tips) was taken up with Sven's sex life. How much further can this soccer obsession go? It's the close season, and England beat the Windies the day before. There must also have been stories from the cricket tote sport leaguge and Wigan Rugby League had announced a major signing. None of this got a mention. Soccer soccer soccer. Why bother pretending it's a sports bulletin at all?

To cap it all there are now three threads running on here about Patrick Viera <yawn>!
Well, for starters, it is FOOTBALL, not soccar, we are not american.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Was going to say that, but since I have just come on, you beat me to it. Now I'm in Canada, where they all say SOCCER!!!!!! Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!
And to add to this argument. The name 'football' wins hands down. Why americans etc use fotball in the name 'american football' is beyond me. It's absurd to call a game where hands are used, football.
Think they got confused with handball?

I'm not that sure they all call it soccer. What about in British Columbia, New Foundland or Quebec? But it seems the people who do is where their own country have their own form of football.
lotus_lee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just call it 'calcio'.
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Exactly. The Americans are obviously too stupid to think up their own name so they copied us.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Exactly. The Americans are obviously too stupid to think up their own name so they copied us.
We should sue them

(Original post by Xenon)
Canada and american(s), is this deliberate?

Haven't you heard of American rugby? Imagine if we called their football soccer lol
Pete.S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Has anyone been watching the tennis on sky sports?

Was watchn Live, Tim Henman beat Zebelata 6-4 6-1 in the first round
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i don't have sky sports

:mad:
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Didn't watch it, but read about it. Good for Tim. His opponent could have been tricky.
Pete.S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Next up Tim faces Gustavo Kuertan, should be a good close match
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why is it called "Cricket" as opposed to any other insect???
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise