The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2760
No way. Not so much him not doing it for England as the team not doing it for him. He plays in very different systems for England and United, we profit tactically from him in the latter but not the former. It's a great loss to England to lose such a truly outstanding footballer, hopefully we'll see more of his true ability for the Reds, because he really can make us tick.

Could have at least hung around for Germany 2006... anyway, so long Scholesy!
Reply 2761
Zapsta
scholles quit england

:eek: omg i cant believe it.. :eek:
Paul who? :rolleyes:
have Watford still got Lee Cook or did he join QPR in the end?
integral_neo
:eek: omg i cant believe it.. :eek:

Me neither, i sooo didn't see that coming!
Reply 2765
ZJuwelH
No way. Not so much him not doing it for England as the team not doing it for him. He plays in very different systems for England and United, we profit tactically from him in the latter but not the former. It's a great loss to England to lose such a truly outstanding footballer, hopefully we'll see more of his true ability for the Reds, because he really can make us tick.

Could have at least hung around for Germany 2006... anyway, so long Scholesy!

No, I think that's being too kind. Despite having little chance to play in the middle of a flat 4-4-2, the head of a diamond should in theory suit him more. Some of his best football for United was during Ferguson's brief dabble with a 4-3-1-2. He's looked low on confidence and unsure of what to do with himself, often looking to play the safe, simple ball where for Man U he would have played the defence splitting one or the through ball down the wing (in that respect the England system of no wingers does hinder him, but Ashley Cole and Gary Neville should have provided enough width for him to work with). I think that the no goals in 3 years, despite not being a real problem, got to him with its continual coverage in the press, especially in the build-up to Euro 2004. It's a shame that England have lost one of the finest footballing brains and technical players in the country, but I think this happened at least 6 months ago.
big shock and im sure he could still do a job as well

at least that means we can play Gerrard alongside Lampard in the Centre of Midfield now. We still really need an out and out winger, Sean WP is the only option....
Reply 2767
serious narb
have Watford still got Lee Cook or did he join QPR in the end?

He joined QPR. That means no Cox, no Cook, no Hyde, no Vernazza, no Pidgeley. Watford will get relegated.
Reply 2768
AntiMagicMan
Paul who? :rolleyes:

Only the best English player around...
Reply 2769
shocking
ZJuwelH
Only the best English player around...

last time I checked Campbell and Rooney didnt retire :confused:
Zapsta
He joined QPR. That means no Cox, no Cook, no Hyde, no Vernazza, no Pidgeley. Watford will get relegated.

im still annoyed Aylesbury wernt allowed a fee when Watford poached him of us :frown:

I used to think vernazza was class, ex Arsenal?
Reply 2772
He probably retired because he'll be 31 in the next world cup and Sven will probably stick him out on the left for the rest of his career. Personally I don't think Lampard is exactly a replacement for Scholes, he doesn't have the technical ability. Scholes is always picked out for his technical ability and his creativity in creating play, I find it laughable that Lampard has managed to push Scholes out to the left. I don't think Scholes can provide anything to the England team when the style of play is all about defending deep and "counterattacking" long balls from Beckham and Gerrard up to stranded strikers.

In time I think Beckham and Gerrard will be playing in the centre, with some up an coming player like Wright-Phillips or Joe Cole (I don't think he's too impressive at the moment) coming in.

Beckham has a place in the team for life under Sven, which is a shame because I can only see Beckham getting worse at the moment. At the moment he is nothing compared to Scholes or even Lampard.

All in all this is bad news for England fans. Now there is no chance of Sven seeing sense and making England play proper football. :mad:
Reply 2773
serious narb
im still annoyed Aylesbury wernt allowed a fee when Watford poached him of us :frown:

I used to think vernazza was class, ex Arsenal?

Yeah, he was class, although he never really got his form back after being stabbed in the leg when someone broke into his house (may have got that story slightly wrong, but it was something along those lines). Hyde's going to be a bigger miss in the middle, he really did run games on his day, but Vernazza's departure leaves us very much lacking in squad depth, considering that only one replacement's been brought in for the two of them (Gunnarsson).
hattori
He probably retired because he'll be 31 in the next world cup

This is no age.
Reply 2775
mobbdeeprob
This is no age.

exactly look at zidane at 35 :eek: he is world classic player...31 is nothing beckham will be 32 i think
Reply 2776
integral_neo
exactly look at zidane at 35 :eek: he is world classic player...31 is nothing beckham will be 32 i think

right now it looks like beckham will be shit be that time and will probably still be Sven's fav player. Personally I don't believe Paul's age and family life is only a small aspect of his retirement. I think it's more to do with him feeling like he has to go. Yeah I know he's a dedicated player but I don't see how he fits in with Sven's style of play.

He plays for a team where his amazing ability is over looked, where the manager would rather have his midfielders hit long balls? Scholes is a creative player, Sven isn't a creative managers so Scholes is wasted in the England team. Sven plays him because there is no one else to put on the left and he deserves more for his ability and effort.
Reply 2777
About time. He was rubbish at Euro 2004.
Reply 2778
integral_neo

Zidane is only 32, and Beckham has only just turned 29.
He actually retired years ago, he's just announcing it now. No great loss in my opinion, as he was never producing the goods. If it was 'the' Paul Scholes then I would have been disappointed, but in the last couple of years he's been anything but integral, maybe even detrimental. England's midfield next world cup should be:

Wright-Phillips Lampard Gerrard Downing (okay, perhaps a slight bit of bias but you never know)

Latest