?
Report 16 years ago
Hooray for table tennis!!
hotnanoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cricket is the best sport , loads of people say its boring but i love it !!!
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
yes i do, i used to play at a club and entered tournaments etc. stopped going now due to eductaion/work commitments. they sometimes put it on tv, i watched some world champoinship games a while back,
I watched table tennis during the commonwealth games. Have never had proper training for it though. Was given a chance to a month or so ago, but had to choose b/w footie or table tennis. I chose footie! I still love playing table tennis though.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i dont mind wrestling but that isnt a sport but who knows maybe one day it will be real!!!!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
i dont mind wrestling but that isnt a sport but who knows maybe one day it will be real!!!!
What? You mean it isn't already?!
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
What? You mean it isn't already?!
Swimming its the best 10 reasons why
1.75% of the earth is water
2.Theres nothing like jumping in a cold pool at 5 in the morning for practice to wake you up.
3.You learn to manage your time, the average USS swimmer on the state level spends 5 hours a day at practice.
4.There's no point in trying to get a decent tan, you always have the distict flyback pattern.
5.During those long distance sets, you get to improve your singing, what else are you going to do to be entertained, recite physics laws?
6.Swimmers have sexy bods, everyone knows they use all there muscles.
7.If you can swim, you can't drown.
8.Theres no need for perfume, you always smell the same, like chlorine!
9.Swim meets start Friday, so you get to miss school for your event.
10.GUYS IN SPEEDOS
zizero
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just wondering why there are 2 different institutions for the same sport. Is it like in boxing, where they have all these different federations, because they are having rows all the time?
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
Just wondering why there are 2 different institutions for the same sport. Is it like in boxing, where they have all these different federations, because they are having rows all the time?
Union and league are two entirely different sports. Major differences are league has limited tackles (6) while union has unlimited, union has lineouts, league does not. Also, in league points are:
4 for a try
2 for a penalty or conversion
1 for a drop goal
In union, points are:
5 for a try
3 for a penalty/drop goal
2 for a conversion

Generally, (IMHO) league has the better domestic competition but union has the better international competition.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Different no's of ppl on the team. 13 league and 15 union i think
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Union is better.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I believe league is better. Why is union better in your opinion then?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
No, they are two completely different sports. Nothing to do with each other. Different rules.

There are 13 players in League and 15 in Union. In union you have unlimted tackles unless you concede possesion, but In league you have six, therefore kicks are often employed on the fifth tackle which makes League a better spectacle to watch.

Rugby Union is a slower paced less intense game compared to League. League players on the whole tend to be more skillfull and much more aggresive. The major difference is in the forwards, Union forwards tend to be more weighty due to competitive scrums but League forwards are more mobile and have more skill but wouldnt be able to cope in Union due to their lack of weight.

League in general has the most talented players at the moment. J.Wilkinson doesnt even derseve to lace the boots of Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley and Stacey Jones.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
No, they are two completely different sports. Nothing to do with each other. Different rules.

There are 13 players in League and 15 in Union. In union you have unlimted tackles unless you concede possesion, but In league you have six, therefore kicks are often employed on the fifth tackle which makes League a better spectacle to watch.

Rugby Union is a slower paced less intense game compared to League. League players on the whole tend to be more skillfull and much more aggresive. The major difference is in the forwards, Union forwards tend to be more weighty due to competitive scrums but League forwards are more mobile and have more skill but wouldnt be able to cope in Union due to their lack of weight.

League in general has the most talented players at the moment. J.Wilkinson doesnt even derseve to lace the boots of Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley and Stacey Jones.
That just about sums up what I think. Great post.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
That just about sums up what I think. Great post.
And I'm a rugby union player.

League is by far the superior sport. You only have to watch Australian State of Origin to realise how big the gulf really is between League and Union. Union is catching up though....No thanks to ex rugby league players in coaching positions lol.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That sucks!

So why is it that we play sometimes rugby in PE and sometimes they decide to play League rather than Union and don't bother explaining the rules fully? I hate the way they expect us to know the rules.

I hate the way they force us to play rugby and expect us to love it.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
That sucks!

So why is it that we play sometimes rugby in PE and sometimes they decide to play League rather than Union and don't bother explaining the rules fully? I hate the way they expect us to know the rules.

I hate the way they force us to play rugby and expect us to love it.
You could say the same thing about maths.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And I'm a rugby union player.

League is by far the superior sport. You only have to watch Australian State of Origin to realise how big the gulf really is between League and Union. Union is catching up though....No thanks to ex rugby league players in coaching positions lol.
My brother plays a fair bit of union. The setup's better for union at the junior level. I think the Aussie test team (not the third string team that still walloped us in the Ashes) would arguably be the best team in any sport in the world.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
My brother plays a fair bit of union. The setup's better for union at the junior level. I think the Aussie test team (not the third string team that still walloped us in the Ashes) would arguably be the best team in any sport in the world.
Yes I agree. The Aussie league team is amazing.

I disagree with you 'third team' idea though. The fact is players were injured. There would be no love loss if GB had a lot of players injured. I would only have put John and Gidley in that side that were injured and Tallis has retired. You forget Cunningham (when fit) is by far the best hooker in the world.

GB on its day can go toe to toe with AUS. It now has the players capable of beating AUS. The problem is strength and depth. League is the most popular sport in AUS so there is never a shortage of good players.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes I agree. The Aussie league team is amazing.

I disagree with you 'third team' idea though. The fact is players were injured. There would be no love loss if GB had a lot of players injured. I would only have put John and Gidley in that side that were injured and Tallis has retired. You forget Cunningham (when fit) is by far the best hooker in the world.

GB on its day can go toe to toe with AUS. It now has the players capable of beating AUS. The problem is strength and depth. League is the most popular sport in AUS so there is never a shortage of good players.
Yeah, I suppose we have a chance if we hit the right form (the whitewash was a fair bit harsh on the GB side), although I think Cunningham is nowhere near the class act he used to be due to being injured for so long and loosing fitness.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads