The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I want to give Paula a massive hug :frown: Sounds like the eejits scheduled the race at a really bad time - to fit in with US broadcasters!?!

Though I did hear someone say that it would never be possible for a Westerner to win that particular course, because we're just not used to those kinds of conditions. Not sure how true that is.
Total football? Its not quite that but its awesome
Reply 4082
Southampton manager Paul Sturrock has left the club by mutual agreement and been replaced by Steve Wigley.

Sturrock, who has been in charge for five-and-a-half months, exits St Mary's after just 13 games in charge.

Wigley, who was caretaker boss before Sturrock took over following Gordon Strachan's exit, has been appointed as Saints' new head coach.

Kevin Summerfield, who came to St Mary's as Sturrock's right-hand man from Plymouth, has also left the club.

The appointment of 42-year-old Wigley as the new coach will be welcomed in the dressing room, where the long-term coach is a firm favourite among the players.

Wigley was Academy boss until Monday when Sturrock left the club and he was immediately thrown into the job by chairman Rupert Lowe.

Reports last week had speculated that Sturrock had just two more games to prove his worth at St Mary's after his side's opening day defeat at Aston Villa.

The Saints beat Blackburn 3-2 on Saturday but the win was not enough to keep him in his job.

Sturrock had arrived at the club with a burgeoning reputation after taking Plymouth from Division Three to the top of Division Two in three-and-a-half years.

But after winning three of his first four games in charge of the Saints, only two victories in nine games have followed.

In a statement, Saints chairman Rupert Lowe blamed negative press reports about Sturrock's reign for his departure.

Lowe said: "Management in the Premier League is highly pressured.

"When this pressure is compounded by a constant stream of negative and unfair media coverage, which has taken on a life of its own recently, the position becomes untenable.

"Those people responsible for perpetrating this unsatisfactory situation, often in return for financial reward, should take a long hard look at themselves."

It is not the first time that Lowe has acted quickly to change a managerial appointment.

In the summer of 2001 he appointed Saints coach Stuart Gray as boss following Hoddle's departure to Spurs. Gray had ended the previous season as caretaker manager.

But by October, Gray had gone, to be replaced by Gordon Strachan.

Whoever Lowe chooses to succeed Sturrock will become the club's ninth manager in the past nine years.

And the League Managers' Association (LMA) reacted with surprise at the developments within the south coast club.

"Our initial reaction is astonishment really," said LMA vice-chairman Frank Clark.

"It is so disappointing that a manager can lose his job just two games into the season.

"I was listening to a pundit on the television before the Blackburn game and he said Sturrock had just one more match to save his job, which I found hard to believe.

"Winning one out of two isn't a bad start to the season so I'm astounded at what has happened.

"Obviously we don't know all the details but on the face of it it's ludicrous."
this is fucking stupid.
Bloody ridiculous, especially after the chairman on MoTD said he would definitely stay! :confused:
The Chairman at Southampton is a twat
Stern_blues
The Chairman at Southampton is a twat

He shags monkeys.
They play pure football. Football with unbridled skill, flair and imagination, the type of football normal teams can only dream of playing and they do it with style, finesse, and sheer ball bustingly entertaining elegance. They play the closest football to total football you will ever see in your life at a competetive level.
goldenbarnes
First of all, what a team. Words fail to describe them - they play the best football I have ever seen and they are simply awesome. Arsene Wenger has produced the most entertaining and total football playing side in the history of our game. They are the only team apart from my beloved who I would pay my hard earned money to watch.

Secondly - how long do you reckon they'll go unbeaten? Surely it can't be another season, can it? That's what they said last year......

I think the run will end at game 52. I tipped Chelsea to win the treble at the beginning of the season, but on this evidence, Arsenal are in a completely different league to every other team on the planet.

Simply superb.

Oh please...you're a Boro fan. :rolleyes:
Stern_blues
lol, okay I will, you know you'd love a player like robbie savage at your club though.

No. :rolleyes:
TheWolf
No. :rolleyes:

sure :wink:
TheWolf
Oh please...you're a Boro fan. :rolleyes:

Boro fan first, football fan second.

And as a football fan I recognise commendable performances when I see them. To go unbeaten as long as they have while playing the type of enteraining football they have is worthy of any football fan's praise.
goldenbarnes
Boro fan first, football fan second.

Arsenal brown noser third :tongue:
:tongue:
Robbie Savage is the most disgusting 'footballer' I have ever seen. He cheats, he fouls, he winds the opposition up no end using foul means and how he gets away with it I will never know. He's smarmy, he's dishonest and he brings shame upon our game.

And I'd bloody love it if he played for us.
goldenbarnes
Robbie Savage is the most disgusting 'footballer' I have ever seen. He cheats, he fouls, he winds the opposition up no end using foul means and how he gets away with it I will never know. He's smarmy, he's dishonest and he brings shame upon our game.

And I'd bloody love it if he played for us.

Finally, him and Danny Mills are similar in that sense, yet people go on about how dirty they are they'd still love to have them in their team, however we've got Melchiot who is a much better right back...

and danny mills is a decent respectable, gentle, kind hearted bloke :smile:
goldenbarnes
Robbie Savage is the mo
st disgusting 'footballer' I have ever seen. He cheats, he fouls, he winds the opposition up no end using foul means and how he gets away with it I will never know. He's smarmy, he's dishonest and he brings shame upon our game.

Yes, he's in the mould of a Dennis Wise-type player. :biggrin: (Just a little reminder to the supporters of a club who haven't won the title since, nineteen-dickedy-five).

Yes, 1955. And yes, Chelsea really are that shit. :biggrin:
Reply 4097
mobbdeeprob
Yes, he's in the mould of a Dennis Wise-type player. :biggrin: (Just a little reminder to the supporters of a club who haven't won the title since, nineteen-dickedy-five).

:mad:
Stern_blues

and danny mills is a bit of a twat in real life, or so i've been told :cool:

wwooaaaahhhhh

Danny Mills is the meekest, nicest person you will ever meet - seriously. He has done loads of work for the Association for Spina Bifida And Hydrocephalus after he lost his unborn baby to the condition. He is nothing how most people would imagine him. I have the utmost respect for him.
mobbdeeprob

you gay! get out! :rolleyes:

Latest