You mean 'won' right?
p8224
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
You mean 'won' right?
HAHAHA!! i was about to point that out too!!!!
it really stood out when i read it coz i dont pronounce won as "one"
hhehehe!!
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
You mean 'won' right?
excuse me. Yes the lakers WON game 2.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Updated Draws and Results down the page
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
I watched some tennis for the first time ever today and i didn't mind watching it actually, not as boring as i thought it was. One thing confused me though, i was watching two women and the set ended when somebody got 6 points (sorry if my special terms are wrong, but hopefully you know what i mean) but then later when men were playing they has to get 7 points to win the set, do men just have to play longer because they're of a bigger build and meant to have more fitness?
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
I watched some tennis for the first time ever today and i didn't mind watching it actually, not as boring as i thought it was. One thing confused me though, i was watching two women and the set ended when somebody got 6 points (sorry if my special terms are wrong, but hopefully you know what i mean) but then later when men were playing they has to get 7 points to win the set, do men just have to play longer because they're of a bigger build and meant to have more fitness?
They have to play longer but not in that respect. Men must play best of 5 sets, women best of 3. To win a set you must win 6 games with at least a 2 game margin or 7 games with a 2 game margin. If it gets to 6-6 they play a tie break, with the exception of the final set where they just continue playing until someone has a 2 game advantage.
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zapsta)
They have to play longer but not in that respect. Men must play best of 5 sets, women best of 3. To win a set you must win 6 games with at least a 2 game margin or 7 games with a 2 game margin. If it gets to 6-6 they play a tie break, with the exception of the final set where they just continue playing until someone has a 2 game advantage.
Changed my mind...i don't like tennis anymore!
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
I'm gunna guess here and say that when you watched the men you watched Rusedski, which had lots of tie breakers in it.

Tennis, is broken up in to sets, 3 for the XX's and 5 for the XYs, best of 3 or 5 sets wins the match.

In each set, the aim is to be the first to win 6 games by 2 clear games, ie 6-3 is acceptable as is 6-4, simply winning 6-5 however, in a set, isn't enough, so 7-5 occurs by a winning margin in a set.

If in a set however the score gets to 6-6, then we go to a tie-breaker where the aim is to be the first to reach seven points by two clear points. ie 7-4, 7-5 but not 7-6; these can last forever, indeed Greg lost one breaker today 9-11 !

Tie breakers can occur in every set, except in the final set at Wimbledon (and the other Slams: French, US, Australian Opens), where there has to be a winner of the set by two clear games.

We have already seen a Brit (Jonny Marray IIRC) lose in the final set of a match 8-10.
glance
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In the fifth set, there's no tie-breaker, so this set can carry on for ages. Not long ago, El Aynoui lost to Roddick 21-19 in the fifth set :eek:

But that wasn't the longest match ever (time-wise)...oh no. That was played not long ago as well, I think maybe at the French. I can't remember exactly who played- I think it might have been Coria and Clement. That match lasted roughly 6 hours and 32 minutes, and had to be played over two days.
Juliew44
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I love watching the tennis and I wanted to go to Wimbledon this year but none of my friends like it as much as me!!!!

However, I watched the match between Venus Williams and a new comer (Russian I think!) and I can't believe Venus was knocked out, I felt for her but it just goes to show that there are some woman tennis players that can overcome the Williams sisters!

As for Tiger Tim, he has a lot of tough competition, I'd like to see him win for England but with Hewitt, Roddick and other players he'll be lucky!!!! (Sorry Tim!!)
james101
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you go to www.euro2004.com and enter the site and register, you can then vote for your player of the tournament. Once you have registed go down the homepage and to the right you should see a list of links, click on player of the tournament and then choose what player you want to vote for.

I hope everyone is voting for ROONEY!
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lampard actually, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmr Lampard. Cor, I would.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Already voted... for Nedved
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 15 years ago
The Portuguese'll be voting for Arse Meier, no doubt.
james101
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
vote for Wayne Rooney, let an english man win something at least!
james101
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
who is everyone voting for?
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
Lampard actually, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmr Lampard. Cor, I would.
I can't imagine Christina Aguilera being into Lampard.

You're not the only girl who seems to fancy him though. There seem to be quite a few here.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
I can't imagine Christina Aguilera being into Lampard.

You're not the only girl who seems to fancy him though. There seem to be quite a few here.
Except I'm not actually Christina Aguilera, she's only my avatar cos I've been told I look a bit like her, and I like her music. And Lampard is a fitty, she'd be mad not to fancy him!
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Rooney! Rooney!
james101
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
good good, i think they said on tv that ruud van nistelrooy was 1st and rooney 2nd
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads