Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
hihihihi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chats)
true, India has over a billion people and only one bronze medal.

Kenya just swept the mens steeplchase track event, not only USA that can do it!
It's about training facilities available too. Obviously you'd expect the Americans to be strong overall.

Shame about Paula radcliffe and Denise Lewis - two of our big pre-games hopes.
Yes Radcliffe unfortunately choked, but I thought she still should've finished the race even if it was 4th or worse.

As for Khan how come he is guaranteed bronze? Surely he must play the other loser of the 2nd semifinal for the 3rd place, if he were to lose his semifinal?
MC REN
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
its complete ****e, but i'm pretty good now, score from every kick-off :cool:
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MC REN)
its complete ****e, but i'm pretty good now, score from every kick-off :cool:
Is that a challenge? :cool:
ravs
Report 15 years ago
mohd sami shows HUGE promise however he lacks a good cricketing brain, he jut bowls out and out pace instead of mixing it up, if he had the brain of say irfan pathan, another young promising bowler, he would be awesome

on the topic of england, they have done extremely well and i expect them to contest the south african series very well

but the hard work starts here, as england have a tough 2 years now, they play south africa away, aus at home, and india both home and away, these are the top 4 sides in test cricket, no doubt about it, and it is after this we will know who is the best.

i think england will lose 3-1 in the ashes personally as their batting lineup wont score enough runs, the young inexperienced key,bell ,strauss will fall cheaply, and only vaughan and maybe flintoff will put up a fight, tresco had a very poor 2002/3 tour of aus
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by andy_)
arsenal hav a good defence, just that their keeper decides to let things in.
So why keep him? I've heard quite a few Arsenal fans wishing him to leave.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ravs)
can do about 55ish

hard work
pretty good
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There's not that many better available. They should have gone for Cech, Isaksson or Frey when they had the chance instead of......well actually I don't have a clue what went on behind closed doors, he'll probably have a good reason for not buying them and he knows a damn sight more than me. Still, though.....Lehmann is rubbish.
Rikku
Report 15 years ago
Anyone surf here?
Longboard, shortboard????

I love the sport and I'm moving to London in September, are there any good places on the east coast for surfing?????

Any tips???
Pls DISCUSS...
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rikku)
Anyone surf here?
Longboard, shortboard????

I love the sport and I'm moving to London in September, are there any good places on the east coast for surfing?????

Any tips???
Pls DISCUSS...
Yep! Sure shortie, 6'2'' swallowtail. Not sure how good the surd in in England, apparently the swell is ****. For an awesome time go to South Africa or West Australia for massive swell.

I went surfing last year two days after a cyclone up north... which was a pretty stupid idea becuase we go smashed up, I broke my foot and had to paddle in myself becuase my brothers and my uncle thought I was faking..

well thats my little story...
Rikku
Report 15 years ago
The Czechs are the BEST in Beach volley, except they somehow can never get into the finals
Counterpoint
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You're right, I agree. Irfan Pathan will soon be one of the best, if not the best bowler, in the world if he keeps working like he does; he reminds me so much of Wasim Akram... and yeah, Mohammed Sami is suffering from the same thing that most Pakistani fast bowlers do... they don't think and they let their pace dictate matters. But yes, there's hope, and if he sorts his act out, he'll also be one of the most deadliest pace bowlers around; early days still.

Yeah, Strauss, Key, etc, get thrown in the deep end; if they come through this decently, I reckon they're set up for a long long time, but we'll have to wait and see...

By the way, which batsman do you most enjoy watching?

It'd have to be Lara for me (of all time, I see him as one of the most elegant players that I've ever watched bat - in modern cricket of course because I'm only 18). But I love Chanderpaul's stance and style. I'd hate bowling to someone who bats like that; I'd get put off on my run up.
eriika
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i went 2 the arsenal- m'boro match and it was ****ing awesom!
ravs
Report 15 years ago
i think for elegance the most attractive player has to be VVS Laxman, he is so fluent in shots, in test cricket i just love watching this guy carve the australian attack to pieces. the way he uses his wrists, i think he has been the best attacker of shane warne since najvot sidhu. he makes it look so so easy. very much in the mould of mark waugh, who also made it look simple with his elegance.

i do think though that the best batter in the world atm in test cricket is rahul dravid, and the ratings show it,. an average of almost 60, hes always been the hidden man behind sachins shadow, but he has been indias most valuable player, and most of his hundreds have been so important. look at our most famous wins at kolkata, headingly, adelaide, rawalpindi, he got huge scores in them all

sachin has been the greatest batsman of my era though, the weight of runs is simply staggering, an average of 57 in tests and 44 at a strike rate of 86 from over 300 games, no easy task. 33 test tons, 37 odi tons. its staggering.
i dont think one sportsman brings together his nation more, bringing muslims and hindus together for just one day to watch him play. i think the largest compliment he can be payed is that bradman said sachin reminded him of the way he used to play, and that sachin was the only modern day player to make it into bradmans dream xi side.

i loved watching inzimam ul haq this year, i think he is one of the most under rated top batters of this era, no one would put him as a great of this era but he is, averages 50 and a simply marvellous player of pace bowling.

best bowler of my era- the two a's, ambrose and akram. ambrose was the most hostile player i ever saw, look at his spell to steve waugh at trinidad at 1993/4, he also possessed the best bowling action i have ever seen.
and akram, what can you say? the bowler with the msot variation i have ever seen, he had such an amazing cricket brain, i remember those 2 balls to allan lamb and chris lewis in wc92 final, simply awesome.

so those are my favourite batters and bowlers of this generation

however i would add that the most explosive bowler i ever saw was waqar younis in the mid 90s, he simply ripped through sides, ive never seen a bowler demolish teams as badly as he used to, not even warne

i have great respect for waqar and wasim and pakistani cricket, cos i think indias batters and pakistans bowlers have contributed so much to the rise in quality of cricket played over the last decade or so
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Lehmann is rubbish.
He is easily wound up, which opposition players may use to their advantage to try and get him sent off to work against Arsenal. This could cost you points, which may end up decided whether you win the league or not, theoretically.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Last season, a small industrial town in the North East rejoiced as it's football team done something it had never done before in it's 128 year history. The whole town came together to congratulate and pay their respect to officially 'the greatest team in Middlesbrough's history'. When the trophy was awarded to the team, chants went round the Millennium Stadium - 30,000 people cheering the name 'Steve Gibson' - the chairman who recovered the club from bankruptcy in 1986 and rebuilt it into what it is now. The greatest chairman in the club's history, the most successful manager in the club's history, the best team in the club's history.

But when the local Gazette featured a souvenir publication on events that day at Cardiff, one man was on the front cover. One man, and one man only. The player who many people across Teesside recognise as the greatest single player to ever pull on a Boro shirt and dazzle the crow with his amazing skills. A World Cup winner, who had came back to continue his love affair with the club for the third time. Juninho.

On winning the Carling Cup for Middlesbrough he said "it means as much to me as winning the World Cup" - and we knew he was telling the truth. It was the second 'Carling' sponsered award he'd won in his career - he won the Carling Premier League Player of the Season Award in 1997, and boy did he deserve it. He was out of this world - he was a player the best teams in the world would want in their team, and he was playing for us - a small town in Yorkshire.

But now we're a small town in Europe, and when speculation was rising of a transfer out of the club sometime in preseason, he told us all "I have fought all my career to get Middlesbrough into Europe, now we are there, why would leave?"

Steve McClaren had other ideas. The conventional 4-4-2, probably passed on to him by his great mentor Sir Alex, was the only way forward. We knew this anyway, 'put him on the bench and bring him on when games are stretched' and 'he's a great option to have, especially in Europe' was what we said. Never for one minute did we believe he would actually be sold. On the opening day of the season against Newcastle - we stood in amazement as his name was omitted from the team sheet - not even worth a place on the bench.

I'm a realist, and if Steve McClaren believes he has no place at the club, then fair enough, he has to go. I disagree with this decision, but that's football and you have to move on. Not everyone will be the same. On Saturday at Crystal Palace, I expect there to be 2,000 people not in attendance because of the Juninho saga. I also expect another 5 or so thousand to chant his name all the way through the game in the process. It's a sad state of affairs.

Like I said, you have to move on. But regardless of that, today I saw my favourite player ever, my boyhood hero, and the player who put my club on the map, who gave his all to succeed for Middlesbrough Football Club and desperately wanted to stay and play for us in Europe, sign for another club. Wearing the green and white hoops of Celtic, he was announced to the press today. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear when I saw the pictures of him with a Celtic shirt, and read through his '10 greatest moments' as posted on another message board. From seeing him laid on the ground of Elland Road crying when we got relegated, to seeing his amazing solo run in the Carling Cup Final only to get tackled at the last minute - what a fitting end that would have been.

Good luck Juninho, you'll soon become a hero to another set of fans - hopefully you'll have great success in Europe with them as well. I bloody love you Juninho.

Now COME ON BORO!
zazy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Watched it?
scary!!!!!
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Despair
Glory
Goodbye
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I blame the red button
Counterpoint
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, I completely agree; its such a pity that I never got to see a lot of Ambrose bowl, but yeah, I marvel at his seemingly effortless action combined with that bounce and accuracy. As for Wasim, what can you say ey hehe; Irfan Pathan reminds me of him... BIG task though to try and follow in his stead.

Which youngsters do you think are up and coming talents these days?
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Unlucky! Just a shame he was forced out of a club which he didnt want to leave.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads