Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Well done Amir Kahn!
    I was slightly worried after the 1st 2 rounds, but Amir came back admirably. He moved well, and his punches were on target. No matter what happens, Amir has been an amazing competitor and deserves to be in the final. Funny quote from Kahn though: "I was nervous in the changing room, which surprised me". It was something like that. Funny that, you might expect to be slightly nervous in the semis of the olympics.

Btw, anyone see the relay races? They were pretty exciting, and a bit nerve-wracking, and there was A LOT of shoving going on during changeovers. GB got through in women's 400s (scraped through), and both men's relays. Don't think any of them will win, but could any of the mens' relay teams get a medal?
    Well America have just buggered it up in the women's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I was surprised, but according to The Telegraph she is several times over.

She must have advertising deals or something.
    it's appearance fees and all that, and with all this sympathy for her. Prob make more money than winning.

ReputationRep:
    She should've definitely finished the first race, even if it meant being last, but I have sympathy for her if she was suffering from cramp this second time.

ReputationRep:
    I think her mind has got the better of her. She's stopped once, and now it's practically impossible for her to regain the sort of internal steel she needs to finish the race in whatever place. That said, none of the other atheletes on the track thisevening ran 23 miles on monday...

ReputationRep:
    It annoyed me that they didn't interview or even mention the other brit who actually finished the race! I'm much prouder of her than I am of Paula who gave up once more. She only dropped out because she knew she wasn't going to win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_)
    it's appearance fees and all that, and with all this sympathy for her. Prob make more money than winning.
    she has made quite abit due to breaking various world/european/commonwealth records i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    It annoyed me that they didn't interview or even mention the other brit who actually finished the race! I'm much prouder of her than I am of Paula who gave up once more. She only dropped out because she knew she wasn't going to win.
    I agree with your first sentence! But your last sentence imo applies only to her marathon. This time around she may genuinly be 'injured'.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, Paula was probably injured this time - that is, her pride is probably wounded - or what's left of it.

Personally, I am disgusted. I agree with what people have said here; the other Brit managed to finish the race, and the same with the Brit who had a problem with his bike in the triathlon. He may have finished last, but hell, he made a sodding effort. Even the GB hockey team, who had their worst results in around 4 decades, still bothered to play to come 9th.

Clearly, Paula lacks good sportsmanship. Her competitors would not give up just because she was winning. They would race until the end, because they know what good sportsmanship is. Paula is just a selfish, spoilt "athlete" (I use the term loosely) who gives up when she isn't winning, or has some stiff competition.

I'd much rather give a medal to the guy in the triathlon who ran 2km with his broken bike and battled to the end, than someone i.e. Paula who assumes she should win by right, rather than by merit.

Tim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Amir Khan is bloody amazing. He destroyed his opponent 40-26!

Flippin' 'eck.
    f*cking quality, he has to win now

ReputationRep:
    Paula was representing OUR nation at these games, and she was part of a team. Now, as pat of a team you are often called upon to do things that you don't want to do, and a good team member still does it because they know it's right thing to do. Paula has not lived up to her responsibilities as a team member. All this talk of injury, cramp is not an injury. I've been in races and got a cramp, i never win a race as i'm a crap runner but a always finish the damn things! There are many people who look up to Paula, and she has set them all a terrible example because of her lack of character and guts. She has let all of us down, she should pack her bags and piss off home now.
    I can't believe how soft the folk on telly are being with her too! She signed up for a place in that race, a place which means someone else couldn't get on the race and now she has wasted it, absolutely pathetic, she should have kept gonig even if she had to crawl over the finish line, that's just what British people do dammit!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Any Challengers tonite?

Knocked them all down so far. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    f*cking quality, he has to win now
    it's gonna be hard though- cuban guy hasn't lost since '99! (that's what i remember hearing anyway)....i'm still backing khan though

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask how many of you have actually ran as far as she had to and to endure the heat as well??!!!???. Perhaps if you did, you would be less judgemental to her. Yes I know the other two britons finished- credit to them where its due, but don't come out with all this crap of her being selfish etc. I know also she was hoping for gold and so was everyone else but perhaps her body wouldn't let her finish it. I dread to think how much training is required for a race like that and to actually run for a couple of miles let alone to how many miles they did( I can't remember) will takes it toll on the body esp in the heat! I think she did her best and this will be something that she will always regret but credit to her for actually running the race- whether she finished it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luce20)
    Can I ask how many of you have actually ran as far as she had to and to endure the heat as well??!!!???. .
    Quite the main problem it think was she put alot of effort in staying with the leading pack and trying to run a race where she would be in a place to strike for a medal. This took alot out of her in both races and hence its not suprising if she wasnt in top condition that she did not finish. The other brit ran her normal race rather than trying to compete for medals and was in better shape hence at the end of the race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    it's gonna be hard though- cuban guy hasn't lost since '99! (that's what i remember hearing anyway)....i'm still backing khan though
    its gonna be very hard, i saw the cuban fight, he looks solid, sure khan can beat him though

ReputationRep:
    You guys realise Paula Radcliffe has been around a lot longer than these last two weeks right? She has proved herself as the best female runner for many years, so she has nothing to proved to anyone but herself. Anyone who has taken the time ti watch her run prior to these games will know that something is quite clearly affecting her fitness and her ability to run the type of race she has done so many times in the past.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if in the next couple of weeks the results of her tests suggests that she is indeed ill and not fit to compete. It's the media that make all the fuss over Radcliffe. She certainly appeared very level headed after tonights race. She knows she needs time to get fit, have a rest and then take a crack at next year's events. The BBC build her up with their montages etc but there's no need. They look to create sensation out of anything.

There could be any number of reasons why she didn't finish tonight, and I'm not going to start making excuses for her, but neither is she. If 95% of the British track athletes showed the same spirit as she has then we'd have performed a hell of a lot better than we have. The problem in British athletics doesn't lie with a great underperforming, it lies with the rest of the team being "just happy to be there".

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so perhaps none of us have done all of the training etc. that Paula has done. And yes, it is not easy to run such races. I never said it was easy, did I?

But hang on a minute, I don't see all of her competitors giving up halfway through, just because they're tired or they're losing. Oh, and they HAVE done a lot of training and races, just like Paula. Is Paula an exception?

You say that her body wouldn't let her finish etc. Even if that is the case, perhaps she should reconsider racing in the professional arena? I'm sure many of those lower down the field could just give up, but instead they carry on. As they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

All of those athletes in that race tonight were pretty much in the same boat, yet she decides to bail because she's a poor loser. Now, perhaps this isn't true, but it's the impression she sets. And you can't change that very easily.

Tim.

P.S. I suggest you update your signature, Big Brother finished weeks ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    its gonna be very hard, i saw the cuban fight, he looks solid, sure khan can beat him though
    i'm a bit worried that he may keep picking off points against kahn- you saw what happened to him in the first two rounds against the kazhakstani guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stan G)
    If 95% of the British track athletes showed the same spirit as she has
    ... then 95% of the British track athletes would drop out just over halfway through!

I didn't see the injured Darren Campbell give up.

I didn't see the British triathlete give up, just because his bike broke.

I didn't see the British hockey team give up, just because they had their worst result in four decades.

What I saw was a great team effort, with the media pouncing on Paula's poor performance, because she didn't finish the races. Now if she'd bothered to finish the race, perhaps more people would be sympathetic to any "problem" she may have...

Tim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    Quite the main problem it think was she put alot of effort in staying with the leading pack and trying to run a race where she would be in a place to strike for a medal. This took alot out of her in both races and hence its not suprising if she wasnt in top condition that she did not finish. The other brit ran her normal race rather than trying to compete for medals and was in better shape hence at the end of the race.
    that is her normal race though, ie. staying at the front....i still think she would have been unable to finish even if she had run a similar race to the other briton- remember, she still had 8 laps left

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.