Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Absolute nonsense. She did not finish the race because she could not gain a moedal, eg., one of her quotes "If you don't think you can win the gold medal, there's no point racing".

Clearly she's a complete loser, she realised she couldn't win and just stopped.
    Marathon - She couldn't win, and just stopped.

Complete, utter loser and she's shown a lack of sportsowmanship to all the athletes who actually bothered to finish the races, eyt never get this stupid press coverage.

"Im sorry but how the hell would you know that she could finish the whole race? Were you actually there in her body? For all you know she could have mentally and physically exhausted!! I know how painful running can be on the body" - Nonsense. Her interview afterwards implied that if you aren't going to win anything, there's no point.

She was not exhausted actually - She gave an interview and could walk fine, she seemed fine.

Even so, if you're exhausted - Bloody walk and finish the race, like a true athlete does.

She's a bloody loser, I don't consider her an athelete.
    you are well out of line. Those who said taking part was the important thing never won anything
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    why dont you read his/her post and answer them from that :rolleyes:
    Try reading both my posts and his posts fully, instead of jumping in head first. And I'd appreciate it if you could highlight any personal insults as well. I don't know him well enough to get personal. I usually wait until at least dates three or four.

ReputationRep:
    OK, i think i can explain it now, she didn't have the mental fortitude to push through the mega pain, she WOULDN'T push thorough it, she let herself think she couldn't but in actual fact she just just wouldn't as she was not tough to push through it.

ReputationRep:
    This topic is getting really good, i like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    This topic is getting really good, i like this.
    As Mrs Merton would say "Let's have a heated debate"

ReputationRep:
    Absolute nonsense. She did not finish the race because she could not gain a moedal, eg., one of her quotes "If you don't think you can win the gold medal, there's no point racing".

Clearly she's a complete loser, she realised she couldn't win and just stopped.
    Marathon - She couldn't win, and just stopped.

Complete, utter loser and she's shown a lack of sportsowmanship to all the athletes who actually bothered to finish the races, eyt never get this stupid press coverage.

"Im sorry but how the hell would you know that she could finish the whole race? Were you actually there in her body? For all you know she could have mentally and physically exhausted!! I know how painful running can be on the body" - Nonsense. Her interview afterwards implied that if you aren't going to win anything, there's no point.

She was not exhausted actually - She gave an interview and could walk fine, she seemed fine.

Even so, if you're exhausted - Bloody walk and finish the race, like a true athlete does.

She's a bloody loser, I don't consider her an athelete.
    its obvious what kind of guy this is. some online commentator who gets angry if someone who he thinks owes him a perfromance doesnt perform. y dont u go out and achieve something in sport and get off ur computer polluting the internet with ur dispicable thoughts that show no knowledge of competing in a decent level of sport.

just from playing athletics games on playstation doesnt give u the right to cuss one of the most decorated sports people in the country.

10,000 posts, get a life and stop living it through people on tv as it seems u have been so offended by paula radcliffes personal faliures

ReputationRep:
    yes, let's

ReputationRep:
    She stopped because she couldn't win, yet those British athletes who finished the race got no credit whatsoever. She just got more press coverage and more "boo hooo" from everyone else.

And sorry, I don't accept the "it was too hot, poor Paula" argument. Why is it that 2 other British athletes, of lesser ability, completed the race? Why is it that British athletes finished the 10k race?
    Yeah but that's because she's proved herself to be better than everyone else, if you want to here what Joe Pezzy who'd just come 19th out of 36th has to say then write to the BBC and complain. Most people want to hear from the greats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stan G)
    Try reading both my posts and his posts fully, instead of jumping in head first. And I'd appreciate it if you could highlight any personal insults as well. I don't know him well enough to get personal. I usually wait until at least dates three or four.
    ok then, I can see it's a little tricky getting into that macho head of yours. I'm sure when you're pumping iron in preparation for your next "big event" you're nothing short of Rocky Balbao, parts I, II, III, IV & V. Go easy on those carcass.
    is pretty personnal
    i appreciate he doing the same, however he also raised a large number of IMO valid points in his point and i would call on him not us language like
    "unsporting forum geeks"
    as it does little to help anyone

ReputationRep:
    She stopped because she couldn't win, yet those British athletes who finished the race got no credit whatsoever. She just got more press coverage and more "boo hooo" from everyone else.

And sorry, I don't accept the "it was too hot, poor Paula" argument. Why is it that 2 other British athletes, of lesser ability, completed the race? Why is it that British athletes finished the marathon?
    because they werent racing to win :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah but i dont think she is in the condition that she would normally be in when she runs that race

its funny how everyone is suddenly an expert on distance running and is so keen to dismiss her efforts
    i wasn't dismissing her efforts, i was just pointing out that she tried to run pretty much her normal race. i agree with you that she wasn't in the right condition to run that way, but i was also trying to say that even if she had been less daring in her approach, i still think she would have struggled to finish

ReputationRep:
    is pretty personnal
    i appreciate he doing the same, however he also raised a large number of IMO valid points in his point and i would call on him not us language like
    "unsporting forum geeks"
    as it does little to help anyone
    Indeed, and if it was actually me who called you or whoever an unsporting forum geek I'd apologise but I think you'll find it was someone else. I wouldn't like to say whethere you are or not.

ReputationRep:
    If you take part in an Olympic race representing your country, you have a duty to give absolutely 100% and to do your best - Whether that be to try and get the gold, or just finish the race.

Dropping out in both the marathon and the 10k because you aren't going to get a medal is absolutely poor, and it's a shame that she gets any press coverage whatsoever over other British athletes who finished the race.

If you are not going to finish the race, do not take part.
    anyone who has played competitive sports knows that taking part can be fun but winning is even more fun
    paula went out to win both those races and wasnt up to it, it killed her and hence she had to withdrawl what dont you understand about that?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, and if it was actually me who called you or whoever an unsporting forum geek I'd apologise but I think you'll find it was someone else. I wouldn't like to say whethere you are or not.
    are you going to set an example and apologies for yours?

ReputationRep:
    are you going to set an example and apologies for yours?
    Ok, I'm sorry for calling you macho Joseph_SOUTH.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm sorry for calling you macho Joseph_SOUTH.
    i didnt think it was joseph_south but nevermind, its the thought that counts

ReputationRep:
    huh? Am i supposed to apologise for summat?

ReputationRep:
    Every athlete on the track is equal. If another British athlete said "ahh, didn't have it in me to win a medal, so I gave up, I'm knackered", people wouldn't think much of her at all.
    no they aren't! some have had better training, some are genitically better suited to the event, some cope with certain conditions, please go away and rethink that argument before i get time to right a list on why that is sooo wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    huh? Am i supposed to apologise for summat?
    no we were waiting for Prologue to apologies for his nerd comments. I personally agree with him but he has not presented his arguement well at all and calling people names is the behaviour of a school child.

ReputationRep:
    anyone who has played competitive sports knows that taking part can be fun but winning is even more fun
    paula went out to win both those races and wasnt up to it, it killed her and hence she had to withdrawl what dont you understand about that?
    What you don't understand is that even if she could not win she could have finished. She didn't have the guts and CHOSE not to push through the pain, she CHOSE to give up and she CHOSE to stop running.
    It's painful but perfectly physically posible if she had displayed the correct mental qualities. What don't you understand about that?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.