Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Stan G
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Incomplete)
no we were waiting for Prologue to apologies for his nerd comments. I personally agree with him but he has not presented his arguement well at all and calling people names is the behaviour of a school child.
I've largely agreed with you so far but stop acting like a judge and jury. It's an internet discussion board, don't take it so seriously.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
What you don't understand is that even if she could not win she could have finished. She didn't have the guts and CHOSE not to push through the pain, she CHOSE to give up and she CHOSE to stop running.
It's painful but perfectly physically posible if she had displayed the correct mental qualities. What don't you understand about that?
what is the point of putting yourself throught serious pain and risk of injury that could rule you out for a season for what you term "pride". i would prefer to see her pull out, sort whatever problems effected her race and get back to winning and competing sooner.

i would understand your arguement if she did not have the ability to win.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Stan G)
I've largely agreed with you so far but stop acting like a judge and jury. It's an internet discussion board, don't take it so seriously.
if people didnt result to insults i wouldnt have to :rolleyes: i would prefer to avoid this going from a decent discussion to a ****ging match
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
Every athlete on the track is equal. If another British athlete said "ahh, didn't have it in me to win a medal, so I gave up, I'm knackered", people wouldn't think much of her at all.
I have to agree with this. Although we can talk about how she was physically/mentally shattered she should still have completed it. Incidentally Prologue, referring to people in the third person is slightly harsh and might end up regrettable later :rolleyes:!

It does seem to be a lack of good sportsmanship, particularly at this standard. Clearly I can't state I've done anything like this, but at that level, surely we expect the strongest (physically AND mentally) regardless, even if it means coming last.

(It is true that she's proven herself in the past, though to not finish the race simply because getting a medal is unlikely seems...well, pathetic? regardless of what you enter it for - [edit]: this actually makes it worse, she should know not to drop out)
Prologue
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The other British athletes finished both races. She was not injured, otherwise she wouldn't have ran either the marathon or the 10k. End of.
from all the interviews she had b4 the games and eveything, it was plain to c the radcliffe trained longer and harder then ne1 else in britain and put her heart and soul into training in the pyrenees and did more the any 1. she was recognised as the hardest athlete in terms of training. u could c that she virtually sacrificed her life to train and geared up years b4 for the race and didnt even want to risk running in the world champs in case she gets a serious injury.

the marathon something went wrong and she couldnt push on to catch the ones in front so after all those years and thousands of miles of training and overall hardship from dedicating her life to this one set purpose and goal, she was finished. coming 4th was NOTHING to het. to some lesser athletes that you would like to be heard with all the tv airtime from your previous comments, this 4th might have been thier lifetime goal but radcliffe it was nothing to her so she stopped and was emotionally and physically drained. ne1 who has trained for something for a while could understand this.

she came back cos she thought that even after a marathon where udefinatly couldnt have recoverd, she might have some special something to get her a decent placing. i think she wouldve settled for 4th or 5th this time jsut to put a good showing. but she slipped out of the main group and to the back of the chasing group and was only going to go back more so there was no point in being a good loser cos she only wanted to take something sold back home.

just like in the world rowing champs with pinsent and crackenll when they saw they werent going to win pinsent afterwards said if they cant win then theres no point and they came 4th out of 8 in 2000m. the top sports poeple LIVE to win. u obviously cant understand that.

btw i said unsporting forum geeks and from what ive seen, those with 10,000 posts generally r.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok then, Paula Radcliffe is worth more than another British athlete, despite being the only competitor to not complete 2/2 races and having no injury.

ROFL, you are completely clueless.

Every athlete is racing, and they are all equal. The person who runs the best race will win, simple, but they are all equal athletes.

"some have had better training, some are genitically better suited to the event, some cope with certain conditions," - LOL, I can't believe you just said that, raised a smile, lol....
oh dear i can see discussions with you are going to be completely pointless, i supose in your opinion then someone from congo where there no training facilites, no coaches and no genitic history of success has an equal chance of winning the boxing as a well coached cuban? lol
Joseph_SOUTH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what is the point of putting yourself throught serious pain and risk of injury that could rule you out for a season for what you term "pride". i would prefer to see her pull out, sort whatever problems effected her race and get back to winning and competing sooner.

i would understand your arguement if she did not have the ability to win.
The point is that is part of sport, the taking part, the getting stuck in and giving a good account of yourself, not fading away and being a loser (see my earlier description of a winner of the first page of the discussion).
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Prologue)
btw i said unsporting forum geeks and from what ive seen, those with 10,000 posts generally r.
That's out of line m8
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The point is that is part of sport, the taking part, the getting stuck in and giving a good account of yourself, not fading away and being a loser (see my earlier description of a winner of the first page of the discussion).
Did you see her run in the last olympics, she ran her heart out for his country and came in the worse position in the whole race. 4th
She led that race for about 80% and in the last few 100m the eithopians sprinted past her and beat her. She ended up with the same as the person who came last , nothing.
Say someone like that is unsporting is sick.
You are saying she is unsporting, go and watch that race and think about it.
Joseph_SOUTH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
erm, what do you mean?
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
erm, what do you mean?
who? quoting helps
Prologue
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Every athlete on that track can win the race. They all started the final, they all start from the same position.

Nobody "deserves" the gold medal, or the silver medal, or the bronze medal, you try your best and try to do as well you can.

Just because she arrogantly feels she's entitled to be classed as "one of the best" doesn't provide her the justification to pull out when the top 3 place isn't there.

If everyone had such a complete ****ty attitude, only 5 people would have finished the 10k race.
no sorry thats not true. there are ones that are better then others. u can distinguish these from lookin at past times, championships won and general placings. when ur one the the best u have the right to be arrogant as many previous champions have showed and she was obviously one of the best and cannot have the rest or her career downtrodden from 1 bad week. since reaching her peak she has achieved greatness.

btw i am a rower so i no what hard work and dedication is about. whats more out of line. to say that someone who has posted 10,000 posts is a disgrace or to call a world record holder and multiple champion a disgrace.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Absolute nonsense. She did not finish the race because she could not gain a moedal, eg., one of her quotes "If you don't think you can win the gold medal, there's no point racing".

She's a bloody loser, I don't consider her an athelete.
So much for participating. The team spirit of Jamaica in their last football world cup would probably give her a heart attack, despite how severely they lost their matches.
Joseph_SOUTH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what did you mean by your last post to me 'INCOMPLETE'?
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Did you see her run in the last olympics, she ran her heart out for his country and came in the worse position in the whole race. 4th
She led that race for about 80% and in the last few 100m the eithopians sprinted past her and beat her. She ended up with the same as the person who came last , nothing.
Say someone like that is unsporting is sick.
You are saying she is unsporting, go and watch that race and think about it.
this post? (why didnt you just quote it?)
i meant she is far from unsporting which is the criticism being levelled at her
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
when ur one the the best u have the right to be arrogant
Rubbish.

btw i am a rower so i no what hard work and dedication is about. whats more out of line. to say that someone who has posted 10,000 posts is a disgrace or to call a world record holder and multiple champion a disgrace.
More Rubbish.

This is impressive. None of that is factual or even logical. These athletes know better than to be arrogant and make assumptions (hence why they work so hard).

Also I doubt Invisible is priding himself over 10000 posts like a champion does over their victories :rolleyes: (Edit: Actually he might...!)
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That's where you do not understand what I'm talking about. People on that track may be, on average, better than others in terms of track record, but that doesn't change the fact that every athlete in the final is competing and there is no winner until the race is complete. They are all equal.

You are only as good as how you race/perform on the day - End of the day, Paula Radcliffe cannot say "I am currently the best British athlete", can she?

She certainly doesn't have the right to.

That's what I mean by "all athletes racing in that final are equal". You seem to have interpreted this as "you're talking rubbish, some are better than others!".
no one is saying she is currently the best british athelete, you are as only as good as your last race i agree

but those athelete's are not equal on the start line, sure they can all win it but some are in a better position to win it than others and hence deserve more attention as there fewer people with their talents
Joseph_SOUTH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
this post? (why didnt you just quote it?)
i meant she is far from unsporting which is the criticism being levelled at her

I realise how good she has done in the past, so i am very sorely surprised to see her being so unsporting in these games. She just stopped in both the marathon and the 10k. Our other athletes, some knew full well they would not get medals, but they didn't pack up their stuff and go home did they? Look at Dean Macey, he knew he would not get a medal but he still went and worked his guts out for us, but Paula when the going got too tough just stopped, didn't even finish the race, she took a space in the race which could have been given to a million other keen folk only to just stop and not even finish either race.
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That Olympic thread is becoming big, and i think the young kid from Bolton deserves his own thread.

Is he gonna do it on Sunday?

Watch It Sunday 12:41pm

Did anyone see his manager/coach feeling him up? wtf was that about!!!
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I realise how good she has done in the past, so i am very sorely surprised to see her being so unsporting in these games. She just stopped in both the marathon and the 10k. Our other athletes, some knew full well they would not get medals, but they didn't pack up their stuff and go home did they? Look at Dean Macey, he knew he would not get a medal but he still went and worked his guts out for us, but Paula when the going got too tough just stopped, didn't even finish the race, she took a space in the race which could have been given to a million other keen folk only to just stop and not even finish either race.
As mockel said, i dont think she had the ability to finish them. She was not is good enought shape for whatever reason. Alot of it is mental toughness and those that run regularly or do endurance sports will know what i am taking aobut here in that you have to feel right to run and she clearly didnt.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise