Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I once saw a friend of mine 'run' in an 800m race. She was dragged into it, didn't even want to do it, but still did it. She wasn't fit enough to run the whole thing, and even when the other folk ahd finished and she was so exhausted she had to walk, she still finished the race, she walked the last 400m by herself and DID THE DO! This is guts and sportsmanship and i was never prouder of her than on that day because she was the least fit there but she kept going and slogging on and got the job finished, it's what Paula should have done.

ReputationRep:
    the mental toughness would have carried ehr through, OMG! how many times must i explain that she simply CHOSE not to go through the pain, she CHOSE to be beaten by it and she CHOSE to stop and not even walk the rest of the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    Rubbish.

More Rubbish.

This is impressive. None of that is factual or even logical. These athletes know better than to be arrogant and make assumptions (hence why they work so hard).

Also I doubt Invisible is priding himself over 10000 posts like a champion does over their victories :rolleyes: (Edit: Actually he might...!)
    loads of winners are arrogant and i know from experience of others that successful athletes are gain arrogance from their victories.

maurice greence is an example - the way he always talks down everybody else.

ricardo mayorga the champion boxer is very very arrogant as are many champion boxers like zab judah.

dalry thompson used to be coky and arrogant.

bottom line - on the start line the top athletes like pinsent and cracnell and radcliffe and jan ullrich or lance armstron expect to win when they see 20 others on the start line they have an arrogance about them which puts tyhem head and shoulders above the rest.

this is something that eric mousambani from equatorual guinea desont have.

also what do u mean by none of my points were factual or logical. i am a club/soon to be uni rower and radclifee is a champion and record holder and that ohter guy does have 10,000 posts and is trying to discredit radclifef.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    I once saw a friend of mine 'run' in an 800m race. She was dragged into it, didn't even want to do it, but still did it. She wasn't fit enough to run the whole thing, and even when the other folk ahd finished and she was so exhausted she had to walk, she still finished the race, she walked the last 400m by herself and DID THE DO! This is guts and sportsmanship and i was never prouder of her than on that day because she was the least fit there but she kept going and slogging on and got the job finished, it's what Paula should have done.
    an 800m race a school is just a little different to 10k and a marathon at the olympics.

i am disappointed altho i have no right to be in her preformance, i would of liked to her to have finished both races if she could however i dont think she could. An endurance sport isnt like anything else in losing a hockey match is just a little different to killing yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    2.) the people who deserve attention are those who won the medals, because they achieved the greatest success in that race. That's my view.
    before the race you dont know who is going to win tho

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking after the race. Why didn't the other British girls who finished the race get an interview, saying well done to finish the 10k in that heat?

In my view they deserved so.
    she probably did, life is cruel

ReputationRep:
    I suspect Paula is not 100%. The other 10,000m competitors had not just run a marathon in soaring temperatures, over hilly terrain. Cut her some slack! Everyone goes through bad periods. She's the fastest marathon runner ever, she did great things for morale in British athletics over the past couple of years, and now she's just had a bad week.

If Haile Selassie wouldn't run both the marathon and the 10,000m at Athens because it's "too hot" and he's an African... Paula wanted to try. She couldn't finish because there was nothing in her legs to keep her going. She'll bounce back, and probably break some more records while she's at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I suspect Paula is not 100%. The other 10,000m competitors had not just run a marathon in soaring temperatures, over hilly terrain. Cut her some slack! Everyone goes through bad periods. She's the fastest marathon runner ever, she did great things for morale in British athletics over the past couple of years, and now she's just had a bad week.

If Haile Selassie wouldn't run both the marathon and the 10,000m at Athens because it's "too hot" and he's an African... Paula wanted to try. She couldn't finish because there was nothing in her legs to keep her going. She'll bounce back, and probably break some more records while she's at it.
    Well said!!

ReputationRep:
    It's not how she does relative to other competitors that bothers me, I just felt that she could have completed the race - Definitely tonight's 10k anyway.
    she only finishes a race if she knows a medal is waiting.

ReputationRep:
    If everyone thought that, then an Olympics would not exist.
    true but not everyone thinks that, she has very high expectations

ReputationRep:
    Now, what is the difference between those people and Paula Radcliffe?
    nothing really as radcliffe is a multiple world champion and has won numerous championships and wordl records in differrnt evetns.

also, take a look at all the others that have quit. its not exactly uncommon. these people are their own harshest critics and want to achieve for themeselvels. it was radcliffes life ambition to win and she didnt drop out to stick 2 fingers up to every 1 or take the decisions lightly.

andreas klodden quit in the olympic cycling road race and was one of the favourites but dropped back and quit as did others. an autralian rower quit and many world elite athletes will conitue to quit not because they dont want to win but becasue they cant and have killed themselves to get to where they are and cant get over the final hardest hurdle or something has gone wrong and they are perfectionists who are at the top of their sport and dont want to accept anything less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    US men just loost to argentina, i have come to the conclusion that the US team sucks big time, and thats an understatement. They couldnt do a thing. Then with under 1 minute left and they were finally closing the gap, they didn't even foul. Terrible :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Well, as I said. Theres a first time for everything. Perhaps the US will have to settle for a bronze this year?

But, my prediction was right, I said our girls would get to the Gold Medal game. US-V-AUS in the women!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno how good this comparison is, but I'm just writing what came into my mind. You are on one of the world's biggest stages. For athletics, the olmpics is as bis as the football World Cup and the European Championships. Would you give up in a football match or in the football tournament if you knew that you had no chance of winning or of going through the group? I should hope not, and those who do will get singled out for not trying. You wouldn't expect that from your country, so why would you for GB in the Olympics.
    Also, examples of injured players who continued playing in the world cup, despite injury are Ronaldo and Owen against Brazil. Paula could have finished the race if she had really wanted to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Heehee. Sorry to all you americans out there, but I was pretty glad to see the americans go out. They didn't play well in the tournament, and didn't deserve to win the men's basketball. Plus, it's about time some other country won the basketball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    Can you believe it? I think they were already assuming they'd win hands down (did you see them in the previous round?), and were really just focusing on breaking the world record! It just goes to show you never know what could happen.
    They were absolutely amazing in the heats, but things like that happen. Plus, anyways, marion Jones is under investigation over doping stuff, which in america is taking ages to sort out. The american coaches or whoever still decided to keep Jones in the squad, with her fellow relay runners not having a say in it. If America had won a medal in the relay, and Marion Jones was found guilty, then all the relay members would have lost their medals. That would probably be tougher than losing in the relay final.

ReputationRep:
    Quality fight, however I have my reservations, admittedly at 17 that guy is one good boxer, after watching the other fight with the Cuban, I have to say that if Amir Khan wins, I would be suprised.

Amir is good, and no doubt in the next few olympics he may well be up for Gold. But that Cuban fighter, with his vast experience and more finely tuned skill, will win. Amir appears to be an all out fighter, but the Cuban played tactically and this may ultimately mean that he wins. Just my 2 cents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Quality fight, however I have my reservations, admittedly at 17 that guy is one good boxer, after watching the other fight with the Cuban, I have to say that if Amir Khan wins, I would be suprised.

Amir is good, and no doubt in the next few olympics he may well be up for Gold. But that Cuban fighter, with his vast experience and more finely tuned skill, will win. Amir appears to be an all out fighter, but the Cuban played tactically and this may ultimately mean that he wins. Just my 2 cents.
    good opinion, maybe experience will prevail on sunday.
    The cuban looked good and I am worried when Amir has those mad bursts he will leave himself open, giving mario a chance to knock him out

ReputationRep:
    Who is your swimmer of 2004? Remember factor in future potential of the remains of 2004......

Who hasn't done well in 2004?

ReputationRep:
    Phelps

see that 14 yr old diver today, bloody amazing

ReputationRep:
    They r good

Shoemann has been good!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.