Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    There was a really sweet part in grandstand, where I think it was Amir's dad who thought he was just going to celebrate somewhere with a party. Instead he was told that the family had chipped in and got 2 tickets for the Olympics closing ceremony.
    lol yeh that was good.
    the closing credits and the music from 'rocky' was good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    lol yeh that was good.
    the closing credits and the music from 'rocky' was good too.
    Yup, the coverage with Amir Kahn has been amazing. Leading up to his Semi final and final matches, they had put together a little montage of his fights and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    KAHN STAYS AMATEUR!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...ng/3610062.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    KAHN STAYS AMATEUR!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...ng/3610062.stm
    YEH!!!!!!!
    why is it a bad idea to go pro???

only 6 people voted 'silver' on the poll before the fight :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    YEH!!!!!!!
    why is it a bad idea to go pro???

only 6 people voted 'silver' on the poll before the fight :rolleyes:

He doesn't really have the experience to make it yet. Best to fight through to Beijing (by which time, he could well be world champion), build a real name for himself, then get some good pro fights after that.

Oh, and I voted silver before the fight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    He doesn't really have the experience to make it yet. Best to fight through to Beijing (by which time, he could well be world champion), build a real name for himself, then get some good pro fights after that.

Oh, and I voted silver before the fight.
    I would have voted for silver as well, but I totally forgot to vote.
    Yeah, it's good that he stays amateur. He'll have a lot more experience then, and will hopefully be an amazing pro boxer then. Are the whatever committee who deals with athletes going to pay him a bit, because I think he deserves it. Having an Olympic champion, which he'll hopefully be in 4 years time will be brilliant for Britain!

ReputationRep:
    "Celtic had handed a debut to new signing Juninho, the man O'Neill hopes will help them to a breakthrough season in Europe's toughest competition and the Brazilian repaid that faith with a man-of-the-match award to ensure that his new employers' domination of the domestic scene continued".

ReputationRep:
    I like all kinds of cycling.
    But I like mountain biking most. (cross country men was very interesting)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Are the whatever committee who deals with athletes going to pay him a bit, because I think he deserves it.
    He'll almost certainly get money from the Lottery, and I'm sure he'll get deals endorsing products etc. I'm not sure what the AIBA rules are with regards to that, but he'll make a decent living.

ReputationRep:
    She seemed to believe that she had what it took to win the marathon and then collapsed psycologically when it became apparant that she may not even finish in the medals.
    What I remember most from the 10000 meters is her dropping out within 50m of realising she didn't have what it took to win that race while Kathy Butler (our other 10km runner) ran herself into the ground to get a very creditable 12th; after the race it was clear that she had ran herself to exhaustion and was jelly legged for a long time after sprinting for the last 200m (or so) to move up from 14th to 12th.

IMHO, Butler performed to the spirit of the Olympics but Radcliffe simply quit when she couldn't win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    She seemed to believe that she had what it took to win the marathon and then collapsed psycologically when it became apparant that she may not even finish in the medals.
    What I remember most from the 10000 meters is her dropping out within 50m of realising she didn't have what it took to win that race while Kathy Butler (our other 10km runner) ran herself into the ground to get a very creditable 12th; after the race it was clear that she had ran herself to exhaustion and was jelly legged for a long time after sprinting for the last 200m (or so) to move up from 14th to 12th.

IMHO, Butler performed to the spirit of the Olympics but Radcliffe simply quit when she couldn't win.

The cynic in me would say quitter, but I'm feeling sympathetic and she did look quite distressed (not sure if it was genuine or not)..…so unlucky is my verdict.

ReputationRep:
    Is he a Hottiee i m not sure but i think he is

Anyway he has achieved quite a bit at this early age, he sld just go on

ReputationRep:
    A quitter. Make a poll.

ReputationRep:
    Quitter I think.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fan for life and beyond

I lovee this thread yipeee.... nothing anyone says can take away from arsenal what they have earned .. this current team is almost a dream team.. forget real's signings forget man u haha this season man u oo gosh manure fans u need some luck to get back onnn ok i will back in this thread a lill later.. its time for my dinner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    And the unbeaten run will most likely go on!!!!!

And what a partnership between Henry and Reyes!
    Fabregas has impressed me.. for his age, he shows so much maturity.. and he's gelled in soo well with such big stars.. i think he's had a better start than Reyes did when he came in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soccercrazygal)
    Fabregas has impressed me.. for his age, he shows so much maturity.. and he's gelled in soo well with such big stars.. i think he's had a better start than Reyes did when he came in
    yeah, but you've gotta remember that fabregas was given a little run in the carling cup last season and has been at arsenal for almost a year now, whereas reyes was thrown into english football immediately after we bought him. but still, fabregas has exceeded my expectations by a long way

ReputationRep:
    I bloody loved Reyes' debut in English football

ReputationRep:
    anyone see the mens marathon????

that is not fair the brazilian was winning by 30 secs and that spectator grabbed him and threw him into the crowd. he still got bronze but missed out on gold, something should be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well... it's all coming to an end now. I think there was too much controversy with these games: esp. the poor judging in a few events and medals being revoked for missing/failing drug tests. It kinda sullied the whole thing in my opinion. Somehow I found the Syndey 2000 games much more festive/enjoyable.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.