The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

chats
anyone see the mens marathon????

that is not fair the brazilian was winning by 30 secs and that spectator grabbed him and threw him into the crowd. he still got bronze but missed out on gold, something should be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: you serious?? That's unbelievable! How did a spectator manage to get that close to the runner?
Where's the Palace fans??????

Shhhhhhhhh................
Reply 4602
Phoenix_down
:eek: you serious?? That's unbelievable! How did a spectator manage to get that close to the runner?

the marathon is in the streets of athens. anyway can run in the road jumping over a barrier!

just realised there is a whole thread about this in general chat :redface:
goldenbarnes
I bloody loved Reyes' debut in English football :biggrin:

I preferred Zola's :cool:
goldenbarnes

cup competition- doesn't count :biggrin:
That's just ridiculous. What are the security there for? See what I mean by a sullied olympics? I'd be angry if I were Brazilian!
Reply 4606
goldenbarnes

that *was* rather memorable. :biggrin:
i remember last year he hadn't quite gelled with the french attacking trio of henry, pires and vieira, he delivered dangerous crosses and put himself in great poistions tactically but didn't quite get the goals. this season has been incredible though, it seems that he can do everything - like bergkamp, only 12 years younger!

fabregas looks really assured in midfield already - besides carling cup doesn't really count as proper competitive practice... for someone who's only 17, to work so well amongst all these household names is amazing.

i'm glad bergkamp is still enjoying his football - his right footed goal yesterday was exquisite as ever. and henry seems to have done quite well as captain, although i don't know what he said in the MOTD post match reaction, as I was just watching the big screen in a pub, with no sound :confused: :redface:
Reply 4607
Mark_KK
She seemed to believe that she had what it took to win the marathon and then collapsed psycologically when it became apparant that she may not even finish in the medals.
What I remember most from the 10000 meters is her dropping out within 50m of realising she didn't have what it took to win that race while Kathy Butler (our other 10km runner) ran herself into the ground to get a very creditable 12th; after the race it was clear that she had ran herself to exhaustion and was jelly legged for a long time after sprinting for the last 200m (or so) to move up from 14th to 12th.

IMHO, Butler performed to the spirit of the Olympics but Radcliffe simply quit when she couldn't win.

When she dropped out first time I totally sympathised with her. I was often quoted as likening her situation of being too emotionally distressed to physically carry on to when you cry and you can't talk let alone walk or run an olympic marathon. But after the 10000m when she gave up without trying just walking off the track, now I only think of her as a quitter that gives up unless shes got achance of a medal, i.e. whatb we call a "bad loser". Paula in just giving up whenever it suited her just because she wasn't going to win a medal showed no aspect of the olympic spirit, which in truth is very sad, as in finshing she not only let herself down but the country down (which I believe to be a big mistake). At the end of the day Paulas job is to marathon / long distance runner and imagine if we as students sat our exams but halfway through when we thought we might not have answered 100% of the questions correctly just walked out. That is exactly what she did, and if its not acceptable for us to do it, it sure as hell aint acceptable for her to do it!
Reply 4608
Phoenix_down

The police weren't very good. Sure, there were many, but they didn't keep a very good eye on things. Apparantly the guy was the twin of the guy who ran on the track in Silverstone.
The Brazilian guy was happy with a bronze because he hadn't expected to win a medal. But he deserved better, and for once, many people were glad that the GB guy didn't catch up with him to finish second.
I saw it wasnt the "best olympic games ever" according to the IOC President, that titles is still bestowed on Sydney. :tongue:

And 4th place, not bad for a country of 19million.

But yes, worst moment of the games was that bloody spectator in the marathon. I would have pulled a knife on the bastard.
Reply 4610
Everdawn

But yes, worst moment of the games was that bloody spectator in the marathon. I would have pulled a knife on the bastard.

LMAO, temper temper
Reply 4611
Everdawn

LMAO, temper temper
Everdawn
I saw it wasnt the "best olympic games ever" according to the IOC President, that titles is still bestowed on Sydney. :tongue:

And 4th place, not bad for a country of 19million.

Did all the fit British people move to Australia? It's not fair that you have so many medals...
chats
LMAO, temper temper

well wouldnt you?
Reply 4614
Everdawn
well wouldnt you?

yeh probably.

you call that a knife?......................................thats a knife!
I echo your analergy with the student thing, I was thinking along the same lines :smile:.
Reply 4616
Kuz
When she dropped out first time I totally sympathised with her. I was often quoted as likening her situation of being too emotionally distressed to physically carry on to when you cry and you can't talk let alone walk or run an olympic marathon. But after the 10000m when she gave up without trying just walking off the track, now I only think of her as a quitter that gives up unless shes got achance of a medal, i.e. whatb we call a "bad loser". Paula in just giving up whenever it suited her just because she wasn't going to win a medal showed no aspect of the olympic spirit, which in truth is very sad, as in finshing she not only let herself down but the country down (which I believe to be a big mistake). At the end of the day Paulas job is to marathon / long distance runner and imagine if we as students sat our exams but halfway through when we thought we might not have answered 100% of the questions correctly just walked out. That is exactly what she did, and if its not acceptable for us to do it, it sure as hell aint acceptable for her to do it!

i complete agree with that. couldn't put it better....

if she was going to do the 10k, either be fully fit and go for it, or don't bother at all.
soccercrazygal
Is he a Hottiee i m not sure but i think he is :tongue:

Anyway he has achieved quite a bit at this early age, he sld just go on

i deffo think so...got a thing for him atm
Reply 4618
MadNatSci
I suspect Paula is not 100%. The other 10,000m competitors had not just run a marathon in soaring temperatures, over hilly terrain. Cut her some slack! Everyone goes through bad periods. She's the fastest marathon runner ever, she did great things for morale in British athletics over the past couple of years, and now she's just had a bad week.

If Haile Selassie wouldn't run both the marathon and the 10,000m at Athens because it's "too hot" and he's an African... Paula wanted to try. She couldn't finish because there was nothing in her legs to keep her going. She'll bounce back, and probably break some more records while she's at it.

(sorry to drag this up but i've been away and really want to rant about this)

my god this is possibly *the* most retarded thread ive seen on ukl and the attitudes of certain people on here have really suprised and disappointed me.

above is by far the most sensible post, applause is definetly needed, if you guys could not see how ill she looked, CLUE: the head nodding was not a healthy sign :rolleyes: , at the end of the marathon she looked like she could barely manage 400 yards let alone another 4 miles.

and hello, as has already been said, the african champion male marathon runner says it too hot, again thats probably a clue. i was in athens around the end of july and i could not stand to be out for more than about an hour, i can only imagine how bad temperatures must be now.

the british public disgust me, she knew she wasnt fit to even attempt 10,000 metres, hadnt trained at all, but the insane pressure she must have been under, there is no *need* for such negativity and we should have consoled her rather than criticise.

how you can say someone who has dropped out of about 5 races in her entire career has an unsporting attitude i do not know, what i do know is that no single person on here has the right to pass such harsh judgements on her whilst they themselves have not come and will not come anywhere near her level of intense dedication to her country and to her sport.

for a board full of self-proclaimed academics there are a hell of a lot of stupid people on here.

(...and breathe :tongue: )
Reply 4619
I cannot believe this BS, the koreans are still after paul hamm about his gold. They asked him to give it to the korean, the US wouldnt even give hamm the letter. Now they are filing a protest to try to take his gold. What a sore loser!

Latest