Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    (sorry to drag this up but i've been away and really want to rant about this)

my god this is possibly *the* most retarded thread ive seen on ukl and the attitudes of certain people on here have really suprised and disappointed me.

above is by far the most sensible post, applause is definetly needed, if you guys could not see how ill she looked, CLUE: the head nodding was not a healthy sign :rolleyes: , at the end of the marathon she looked like she could barely manage 400 yards let alone another 4 miles.

and hello, as has already been said, the african champion male marathon runner says it too hot, again thats probably a clue. i was in athens around the end of july and i could not stand to be out for more than about an hour, i can only imagine how bad temperatures must be now.

the british public disgust me, she knew she wasnt fit to even attempt 10,000 metres, hadnt trained at all, but the insane pressure she must have been under, there is no *need* for such negativity and we should have consoled her rather than criticise.

how you can say someone who has dropped out of about 5 races in her entire career has an unsporting attitude i do not know, what i do know is that no single person on here has the right to pass such harsh judgements on her whilst they themselves have not come and will not come anywhere near her level of intense dedication to her country and to her sport.

for a board full of self-proclaimed academics there are a hell of a lot of stupid people on here.

(...and breathe )
    why compete if you're not going to be physically capable of lasting the distance? clearly paula's team of medics and physios passed her fit to run. whether she was mentally and psychologically ready was another issue, but she puts that all to one side once she makes the decision to run.

if you've ever seen paula radcliffe run before, she nods her head all the time as she goes- she always looks like she hasn't go the energy, and completely against the textbook, but that's just her style of running.

well done to paula radcliffe for everything she's done for british distance running so far, but each race should be treated individually. just because she has achieved so much previously does not mean she should get exceptional circumstances whenever she runs. i'm sure she as a competitor would be the first to agree with that.
    look at sonia o'sullivan in the 5000 metres. she has achieved for ireland what paula has for britain.... she clearly wasn't up to the task of competing for a medal position, but she gritted her teeth and finished even though she suffered the humiliation of being lapped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    i deffo think so...got a thing for him atm
    You and brown sportsmen :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i know now one gives a ****, but im Morrocan and that's like the only good athlete we've got, so trying to show him my support!!!

ReputationRep:
    Guerroj is great. if you looked at the olympics thread before you made outbursts you would see how much me and some others respect him.
    we even named him athlete of the olympics along with our own kelly holmes and amir khan

GO GUERROJ!!!

ReputationRep:
    its such a weird game, the ball just randomly hops around sometiems :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    HOPE HE DOES WELL BUT IT WOULD BE HARD FOR HIM TO COMPETE WITH RAUL, MORIENTES AND RONALDO. RAUL IS 32 SO HE MAY ONLY HAVE 2 YEARS LEFT BUT HE HAS A FIGHTING CHANCE

he will either do really well or become **** like becks did in the euros. but owen deserves mare championships, but there arw too many good teams in the premiership so he had to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    Guerroj is great. if you looked at the olympics thread before you made outbursts you would see how much me and some others respect him.
    we even named him athlete of the olympics along with our own kelly holmes and amir khan

GO GUERROJ!!!
    WOW!! Thanx, that's really nice of u!!! C'mon everyone, show ure support to a poor lil african like me, and yeah chats convince your mates!!

ReputationRep:
    I was really glad that El Gerrouj won the double. He's a brilliant athlete, and did amazingly The 2 athletic double winners, him and Holmes both did amazing feats, which the will always be remembered for. They are true stars!

ReputationRep:
    I have admired Paula for everything she has done, and she has been totally brilliant in long distance running. But the way she treated the last race wasn't what I'd expect of an athlete representing GB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I was really glad that El Gerrouj won the double. He's a brilliant athlete, and did amazingly The 2 athletic double winners, him and Holmes both did amazing feats, which the will always be remembered for. They are true stars!
    Yep, congratulations to Holmes, she'll be a great legend too, one day!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminouchka)
    Yep, congratulations to Holmes, she'll be a great legend too, one day!!
    She still wants to carry on to the World Championships and win the World indoors I think. But winning 2 gold medals in the Olympics already makes her a legend. She's placed her name firmly in the history books.

ReputationRep:
    ah in the classic MC Battle:

MC Watson Won 3 and drew 2 to beat my ass

ReputationRep:
    How many gold metals won the british athlets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I cannot believe this BS, the koreans are still after paul hamm about his gold. They asked him to give it to the korean, the US wouldnt even give hamm the letter. Now they are filing a protest to try to take his gold. What a sore loser!
    stop being gay. The judges were wrong hence they got suspended, you ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by styrian_passion)
    Not many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLo)
    HOPE HE DOES WELL BUT IT WOULD BE HARD FOR HIM TO COMPETE WITH RAUL, MORIENTES AND RONALDO. RAUL IS 32 SO HE MAY ONLY HAVE 2 YEARS LEFT BUT HE HAS A FIGHTING CHANCE

he will either do really well or become **** like becks did in the euros. but owen deserves mare championships, but there arw too many good teams in the premiership so he had to leave.
    Raul is 32?! Are you mental?

ReputationRep:
    If you get The Sun (I don't), then you'll find a piece inside the Goals pull out about Stewart Downing, with Ray Parlour saying how good he is and that Sven should take a look at him for England's left sided problems - The Sun agrees.

He's bloody brilliant that lad.

RAY PARLOUR spelled out the facts of top-dog life to the Premiership pups — and then tipped Sven the wink.

It was not a case of the old Ray of Arsenal sunshine trying to convince Eriksson that, at 31, he is ready to become a born-again England player.

Parlour just happens to believe he has stumbled on the kid who could be the answer to the England manager’s prayers.

Imagine! An old-fashioned winger with a modern day twist — and as left-sided as they come.

England have not had one like that since John Barnes was a lad.

So enter Stuart Downing, the up-and-coming Boro starlet who is developing the happy habit of changing matches in a flash.

Eriksson should know of him after a handful of England Under-21 games.

The former Highbury midfielder just thinks he might have to get to know it better.

Parlour confessed: “I did not know a lot about Stuart when I arrived here. Now I have seen him close up and realise what an outstanding player he is.

“I think he has a very big future. He may well solve that old left-sided problem for England.

“If he continues to do well for this club and the U21s, he has every chance.”

Anyone who watched the way Downing, 20, transformed this game will appreciate Parlour’s comments.

Bouncy Boro fans have seen it before from the kid boss Steve McClaren has sensibly nailed down on a four-year contract.

Downing did precisely the same on the opening day of the season after Newcastle threatened to run away with the Tyne-Tees derby. This time he had been on the pitch just over five minutes when he whipped a free kick into the box that everyone missed, apart from Palace defender Tony Popovic who knocked it into his own net off his heel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by styrian_passion)
    9, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Raul is 32?! Are you mental?
    In 5 years time he will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I cannot believe this BS, the koreans are still after paul hamm about his gold. They asked him to give it to the korean, the US wouldnt even give hamm the letter. Now they are filing a protest to try to take his gold. What a sore loser!
    Think about it this way. If it were the other way around and Paul Hamm got the bronze when he really should have gotten the gold what would the US do? Do you think they would just accept that "that's the way it goes sometimes"???
    Of course not! They'd fight for it with everything they've got... so I don't blame the Koreans for doing what they're doing right now.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.