Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    and yes, ofcourse india are gonna miss sachin, hes such a huge player. look at eng in natwest series when flintoff wasnt playing, they won one game in their own natwest series, 1 game out of 6, cos they missed flintoff so much

these big players, when they are injured, leave a huge HUGE gap to fill
    sure players like sachin will be missed from any team, but it's up to the others to get on with the job. however, in india's case, they weren't up to it. i have to say that the reason india lost is becasue they didn't play well enough not because sachin wasn't around

ReputationRep:
    yep, totally agreed. it was just one of those performances that any team dreads and wants to get out of their system, much like the performances of eng this summer in ODI's.

we just need to get out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    yep, totally agreed. it was just one of those performances that any team dreads and wants to get out of their system, much like the performances of eng this summer in ODI's.

we just need to get out of it
    well, hopefully they'll play like we know they can play on friday

ReputationRep:
    More than the defeat i am just shocked at our inflexibility to change the batting order or to learn from our mistakes commited in the recent dark past.In Sri Lanka we were over cautious at various times and now we are being over aggresive even when we are going at over 5 runs per over! Its really frustating to see someone like Ganguly despite being in really good form throwing away his wicket again and again like as if he has no responsibility to bat through the innings..a look at his recent scores in one day cricket : 45,15,39,21,45,56,6,60,39,79,4,2 5,24. Last 13 innings he has crossed 20 on 10 occasions yet has got past the half century just 3 times which includes twice against UAE & Bangladesh.As a captain its his responsibility not to just keep saving failures from getting the chop but to also score when the team needs him at his best especially without Sachin.If he was struggling for form then it was understandable but he is simply wasting it.

Whenever you see a side struggling more often than not the captain atleast tries to set the best example,i am sorry Sourav is failing miserably with his shot selection & patience at the moment.He deserves all what he did for us in the past,but currently he is letting the side down.

Better not talk about Sehwag as he has just lost it for quite sometime in one day cricket and yet can`t be challenged for a spot.A demotion down the order will be the best signal to him once Sachin returns.If he takes it the right way then great otherwise.....

Dravid is going through a patch where nothing has gone right for the past half a dozen innings but of all people i expect him to be the first to come out of it.He is too good and too hard working to keep throwing away his responsibility.

Laxman is just continuing to decieve with his performance as well..20s and 30s are not what we want from him if he has to justify his place in the top 3-4 in the order.I would prefer him getting 80 & a failure instead of 35 & 25 in two innings..atleast one would be a match winning then.

Yuvraj well he has been always like this and probably would be too..Again a waste lower down the order when he is uncomfortable against spinners.Kaif played excellently yesterday but now i hope his next significant innings doesn`t wait for 10 matches as is usually the case.

When the whole batting lineup is just not working why not just change positions for some of them and maybe work out a new stratergy?Fine i accept that in Sachin`s absence we need Sehwag & Ganguly to open so i have no problems there..Laxman when he plays odi cricket has to bat at 3 or not play at all.But after that we need Yuvraj at 4 and Dravid at 5.Yuvraj might be more successful at four with Dravid batting through the middle to late stages.If not Yuvraj,then Kaif has to be sent at 4.I have heard of never changing a winning combination but i can`t understand why are we not changing a losing combination either..Karthik has to play now instead of Gavaskar who is being wasted at 7.In anycase we expect 20-25 at that stage so better get it from Dinesh Karthik and give Rahul relief from keeping for the last 2 matches.Maybe that way the top order might feel their responsibility with one batsman less on paper to follow.

Kumble`s one day career is being stretched unnecessarily and it might really cost him some test wickets if he and the team doesn`t realise it.He has now got to be relieved from one day cricket for good and just concentrate on the test matches.Its time we give Harbhajan preference who is a better one day player overall and also groom one spinner for test cricket when Kumble departs.Anil is no longer a threat in one day cricket & is really a fish out of water.

Personally i would select this team with the batting order tommorow :

Ganguly,Sehwag,Laxman,Yuvraj,Dra vid,Kaif,Karthik,Agarkar,Pathan, Harbhajan,Balaji.

ReputationRep:
    id switch places between yuvraj and sehwag ... sehwag can hit the ball at any time , as far as he wants to . Hes not producing results at the start of the innings though . I feel he cant play the new ball as well . Yuvraj , as far as i remember opens for his domestic team in india .

Agarkar is not what he used to be , neither is pathan . Pathan has become too predictable . The only one good ball he bowled yesterday was that which got solanki out . The novelty has worn off . He needs to bowl stuff other than the inswinger or outswinger . He cant bowl the bouncer because his speed sucks . And a tall player ( half the english team is tall ) can just rock back on the backfoot and pull him . He should concentrate on bowling yorkers at the death , and maybe get some hang of reverse swing . akram knew he couldnt bowl good bouners ( maybe the odd one when he was really pumped up ) so he concentrated on other stuff .

and zaheer khan plain sucks . baljai though is one cool bowler

ReputationRep:
    My india 11

Yuvraj
    Ganguly
    Laxman
    Dravid
    Sehwag
    Kaif
    Agarkar
    Pathan
    Balaji
    Harbhajan
    Nehra

All out pace attack like pakistan will unsettle england .

ReputationRep:
    Quitter . remember the story about the italian guy who couldnt even make it across to the finish line and had to be held up ? ... he was stripped of the medal for being helped .. but he didnt quit did he

And the swimmer in sydney , who hadnt even been in a 50 m pool before . I forget where he is from . He didnt even have a proper stroke but still he finished

The worst excuse i heard on tv for her quitting was " Oh she knew she coulnt win , and she wants nothing less" . WTF ! ... why dont 3 people just enter these events then . she should have completed the race even though she came last

ReputationRep:
    i agree about yuvraj opening ahead of sehwag, seehwag should bat with dravid at about 5-6 to end the innings as both can hit the big shots (dravid once got a 50 off 22 balls against nz last season). yuvraj struggles with spin when he first comes in, and sehwag can loft them over the inner circle and over the boundary. yuvrajs technique is good enough to face pace bowling i feel

i think laxman needs to stay at 3 or not play at all

my team atm is:
    yuvraj
    ganguly
    laxman
    kaif at 4, give the guy a chance to build an innings, it worked in the world cup
    dravid
    sehwag
    karthik, no need for a 7th batter. if 6 cant do it, 7 certainly wont. and what can a batter at 7 get anyway, 20 odd runs, karthik can do that
    pathan
    agarkar
    balaji
    harbhajan

ajit agarkar is quite a useful player sometimes if the pitch is useful, he was the quickest bowler in world cricket to take 50 odi wickets and has an impressive strike rate

every bowler will have an off game, pathan is a young lad and has come good against sides alot better than eng so i think its unfair to label him as predictable just yet.

kumbles odi career should be over, else it might hamper him in test cricket as he has a long injury problem. harbhajan is a more economical bowler with much MUCh more variation in his bowling. i think india are scared to play him cos of the fltinoff factor, cos harbhajan flights the ball so much, talk about negative thinking

ReputationRep:
    dont think Yuvraj should open the batting, this is a new position for him. even though we know he can score quickly, i think it will be a great challenge for him to face the PRESSURE of opening the Indian innings.

However then agian looking at Sehwag playing in test matches, it is evident that there is a more conservative player in him where he holds back from throwing his wicket away.

ReputationRep:
    BTW whats the latest news on Sachin Tendulkar?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently coventry want kirkland back on loan? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I have been informed by my 'sauces[sic]' that Terry Venables will jump from Newcastle to Newcaste.

ReputationRep:
    well i was at trent bridge for a few days before theis first game, and i managed to havea chat with ganguly and the indian squad. ganguly told me the day before everybody else knew, that sachin was unfit, the day before the supposed 'fitness test'. the fact that he knew a day in advance, before the fitness test, tells me that sachin was never going to play these 3 games. also tennis elbow takes 5-6 days to heal WITH medicine, sachin doesnt havea tennis elbow, he is just resting for the champions trophy i reckon. i wouldnt be that surprised to see his name on the teamsheet at lords if we take the series into a decider at 1-1, that is if we can even show up to perform at the oval.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branded Spark)
    he should try getting a role at newcastle, they are a better chance of success then southampton
    Seriously? Freddy Shpherd must be the worst chairman to work for in the world - fair enough, Rupert Lowe's no Steve Gibson either, but Shepherd gets his hands far too dirty and undermines the manager too many times - at least Lowe leaves the footballing matters to the manager. Shepherd called his own fans all sorts of things on 'that' recorded video, told the media Bobby Robson wasn't going to have his contract renewed before he told SBR himself, sold Jonathan Woodgate behind his back, made the most farcical bid for a player ever in Wayne Rooney, and is generally just a fat, miserable, Geordie, b******.

ReputationRep:
    okay, i agree with all the refining of the batting order, but when sachin comes back, should he be opening? if so, where would you put yuvraj?

ReputationRep:
    put him lower down the order to finish the innings. A position similar to where Micheal Bevan bats for Australia and were the Flinstone bats for england.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karan)
    put him lower down the order to finish the innings. A position similar to where Micheal Bevan bats for Australia and were the Flinstone bats for england.
    yeah, but isn't that where he plays now?

ReputationRep:
    i didn't say there was anything wrong with that, the batsman are just not in form. And the sad thing is that they are all out of form together.

ReputationRep:
    I think Ferguson has demonstrated that he has a very good judgement on young players- apparantly they tries to sign him when he was 14 so he must have seen his talent way before all this hype.
    I don't think Rooney and Beckham are overated- they are both great players they just happen to be much more famous than others cos of their England success. Neither are the best players i've ever seen but then again i dont think i could pick the best players well cos theres too many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karan)
    i didn't say there was anything wrong with that, the batsman are just not in form. And the sad thing is that they are all out of form together.
    ah, okay...but would there not be a problem with the spin (for yuvraj)? i'm sure you'll agree that he seems more comfortable against pace bowling

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.