Bowlers: Gough, Gillespie.
Reply 5082
Shoaib Malik
Yasir Hameed
Saeed Anwar
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Moin Khan
Irfan Pathan

Pakistani team is my favourite...it has got some of the best players in the world....Masha Allah
Reply 5083
i dont find thorpe a particularly good player to watch, quite sedate if i were being honest

jayawardene is a good choice, although he promised so much a few years back, test average of 50, but things havent really gone his way, he was touted as the next best to sachin and lara but hasnt really fulfilled his promise away from home especially
gillespie- great fast bowler, i actually rate him as good as if not better than mcgrath cos he bowls a similar length at greater pace with moe bounce, great bowler, who has had so much bad luck with injuries, should be on 300 test wickets now if it werent for that
Reply 5084
Wasim Akram is my all time favourite.

By the way, look out for James Hildreth and Jamie Dalrymple :- England's next two batting stars.
Reply 5085
seen them, they look quite good, dalrymple bowls some handy spin doesnt he?

moin khan isnt half the player he was, i remember the wc in 99, where he swept fast bowlers like allan donald, he was some player then

i like the look of shoaib malik battingwise, but i believe him to have a dodgy bowling action so i dont like him as a bowler.
yasir hameed is supremely talented but he keeps throwing his wkt away after good starts. he did it against us in the series in april, bowlers like pathan would keep bowling outside off and they knew that eventually he would play a loose shot, we just layed the waiting game, so i cant see him doing much againt the metronomic bowling of mcgrath who bores batsman out but bowling the same line all the time.
i like imran farhat, very wristy, a new anwar if u like

and i was a huge fan of wasim, he was one of the 2 best bowlers i ever saw

the other? AMBROSE
ravs
i dont find thorpe a particularly good player to watch, quite sedate if i were being honest

jayawardene is a good choice, although he promised so much a few years back, test average of 50, but things havent really gone his way, he was touted as the next best to sachin and lara but hasnt really fulfilled his promise away from home especially
gillespie- great fast bowler, i actually rate him as good as if not better than mcgrath cos he bowls a similar length at greater pace with moe bounce, great bowler, who has had so much bad luck with injuries, should be on 300 test wickets now if it werent for that

:biggrin: Agreed, wow you know your stuff!
Reply 5087
There was a funny column in Observer Sport Monthly about sledging yesterday, which I found funny. For this reason, I'd say Freddie Flintoff, Viv Richards and Steve Waugh, for their quick wit.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,1294881,00.html

"Piers Morgan
Sunday September 5, 2004
The Observer

I was early into my innings for my village cricket team last month when a ball was struck worryingly close to my car. 'Careful, that's mine,' I shouted at my batting partner. To which a cheeky young mutt at extra cover retorted loudly: 'I'm surprised they haven't repossessed it yet.' This was the same cheeky young mutt who had greeted my arrival at the crease with the words: 'Right boys, we're down to the unemployed fucking rabbits now.' I laughed, but felt a new layer of steely resolve coursing through my veins. Fifty runs later, I located my 'sledger', looking slightly less pleased with himself now, and said, 'Didn't I tell you my nickname was Thumper, you little ****.'
Later my new friend came into bat and I had been tipped the wink that his sister plays for the England women's team. We gave him 'encouragement' from the slip cordon. 'Let's see if he can hit it as hard as his sister, shall we boys?' and so on. He promptly tried to smash it for six and was out, marching off in fury as we laughed ourselves stupid.

Step forward to the Edgbaston Test match and Tino Best is giving Freddie Flintoff some fearful verbals. Freddie's response is to club 167. When Best came in to bat, with the Windies in trouble, Flintoff was standing at first slip ready and waiting. 'Mind the windows, Tino mate,' he said, with a huge grin. Best, not one of life's more placid or intelligent cricketers, reacted by charging down the wicket determined to hit a window - and was stumped. Flintoff burst out laughing and carried on laughing for about 10 minutes. I, watching TV at home on my own, did the same. And then phoned all my mates to tell them. It was a wonderful piece of theatre, and for me the defining moment when England's grip over West Indies was complete. You could never imagine any England player sledging Marshall, Roberts, Holding, Ambrose or Walsh. They wouldn't dare. But Flintoff has the talent to back up his vocal skills. And if we are going to beat the Aussies here next summer then I want to see Freddie and the boys sledging and battering them into kangaroo meat. Because that's what they've been doing to everyone else for a decade. Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath are fantastically good cricketers, and great guys off the field, but on it, they are mean and foul-mouthed. And it works.

For too long England players have been taking it from opponents without the guts or wherewithal to return the favour. But not any more. When Fidel Edwards bowled that electrifying spell in the third Test, battering Graham Thorpe's head and body, Robert Key responded to the abuse that came with it by sticking his tongue out at him. Edwards smiled in exasperation and Key was still there at the end - unbeaten and unbowed. Bully boys kow-tow to only two things: a large smack or abject ridicule. And our team has never been better equipped to deliver both.

Cricket purists hate sledging. They say it demeans the sport and coarsens those who play it. Rubbish. Sledging makes the game more competitive, more intense and often much more entertaining. McGrath, widely regarded as the best sledger in world cricket, met his match in Zimbabwe's rather chubby Eddo Brandes when he shouted: 'Oi, Brandes, why are you so f**king fat?' Brandes simply smirked and replied: 'Because every time I shag your wife, Glenn, she gives me another cookie.' Brilliant. And who can forget Pakistan's Javed Miandad calling big Aussie fast bowler Merv Hughes a 'fat bus conductor' and hearing Merv shout 'tickets please' when he got him out soon afterwards.

Some sledging is self-defeating. Glamorgan paceman Greg Thomas's 'Hey Viv, it's red and it's round, see if you can hit it next time' entreaty to Viv Richards rebounded slightly when the great man smashed his next bouncer into the river and said: 'Hey Greg, you know what it looks like, go and fetch it.' And some is just plain cruel.

Viv once hit a first-ball bouncer from Leicestershire journeyman Gordon Parsons out of the ground, only to hear the umpire say: 'That's your one bouncer for the over Gordon.' Viv went down on one knee to plead: 'No, no umpire, hey man please, he can bowl as many of those as he wants.' For sheer fearless self-belief, though, nothing can beat Steve Waugh playing and missing to Curtly Ambrose in the Caribbean and responding to the 6ft 7in monster's menacing stare by saying: 'What the fuck are you looking at?' Waugh went on to score a fantastic century.

I loved watching our boys sledging the West Indies players and I hope they do the same to the Aussies. Because if we outsledge them, then it means we genuinely believe we can outplay them too, and that's how we will regain the Ashes."
Geraint Jones...he's so cute! :biggrin:
Shane Warne
Souness is a donkey. The Newcastle fans they have interviewed on Sky Sports News are less than impressed. The Blackburn fans and cheif exec don't look too bothered..I wonder who got the better deal then!
Flintoff, of course. Any Englishman who doesn't love him should be shot. :biggrin:
Reply 5092
James Anderson..........majorly sexy!!
Reply 5093
its a pity he doesnt spend as much time on his cricket as he does on his hair, maybe he would bowl better and warrant selection if he did! :smile:

anderson is another example of talent going astray, he was simply superb in the wc match against the pakistanis, since then hes hardly swung a ball, apart from at the oval vs windies.
-PATHAN ... obviously ... does bowl extremely well when on form
-gough is an amazing bowler ... hats off for his 201 ODI wickets
-tendulkar ... classic
-dravid ... excellent
-GANGULY ... when on form ... MAJOR!!
-harbhajan ... isnt rude to the crowd and also gives us a lot to cheer about with his spins

out of them all ... i gotta be loyal ... *PATHAN* - coz he's yummy and good!!
ravs
its a pity he doesnt spend as much time on his cricket as he does on his hair, maybe he would bowl better and warrant selection if he did! :smile:

anderson is another example of talent going astray, he was simply superb in the wc match against the pakistanis, since then hes hardly swung a ball, apart from at the oval vs windies.

He's young, occasional bits of brilliance. But you're right, he needs a kick up the backside to get him to work harder.
Reply 5096
akram ,
youhana ,
akhtar ,
fleming ,
dravid ,
Warne
Reply 5097
im expecting azhar mahmood to be paks weapon in this tournie . Excellent bowler if he has a good day .
Reply 5098
Herschelle Gibbs - Just because he went to the school I went to for a bit - Diocesan College (Bishops) in Cape Town, SA.
Reply 5099
Freddie Flintoff Is Da Man!!!!

Latest