Report 15 years ago
Graham Thorpe is my fave cricketer.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
It was 'strange' seeing Northern Ireland fans because some had flags of the red cross with the hand in the middle and others with the Irish flag etc
I find the whole pride in 'Northern Ireland' a bit strange. At the same time, I am very pleased that it exists.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A great captivating game, I hardly watched the England match due to it. The ref was awful, certainly not UEFA standard, but it seems there'll be no official complaint. Pity.
Imagashead
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
A great captivating game, I hardly watched the England match due to it. The ref was awful, certainly not UEFA standard, but it seems there'll be no official complaint. Pity.
True he missed an NI penalty when he was stood within 10 yards of the foul, however in the Savage incident he had little option but to send both players off. Savage elbowed the player then after being fouled grabbed his ass and swung round to face up to him. when punched, he rolled theatrically so he had to go, for what are three bookable offences in the space of less than 30 seconds. The NI player intentional scissor kicked Savage and punched him when Savage grabbed him so he had to go too. In the second NI sending off incident the player scored then kicked a corner flag (a bookable offence, and rightly so as fixing them, replacing them or putting them back waste time) and then gestured at the crowd (another bookable offence as it winds up the crowd and thus is potentionally dangerous) - unfortunately he left the referee with little option. The reason why there will be no official complaint is because both teams realise that they would have little grounds on which to do so.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Earnshaw should set the Prem alight this year.
No way.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Tim has done really well to come as far as he has in the US Open, especially as he was and still is struggling with a back injury. He's right up there, and is on the verge of making the semis-his 1st US Open semi. This considering the fact that he was struggling really badly in the 1st round with the injury. He has greeat guts, commitment and will power. Since he hasn't been mentioned, i thought I'd say well done to him.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Tim has done really well to come as far as he has in the US Open, especially as he was and still is struggling with a back injury. He's right up there, and is on the verge of making the semis-his 1st US Open semi. This considering the fact that he was struggling really badly in the 1st round with the injury. He has greeat guts, commitment and will power. Since he hasn't been mentioned, i thought I'd say well done to him.
Yay!!!
Well done Tim!!!

Ruthie xx
TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hate him, i'm sure he'll lose in the next round anyway don't you worry :cool:
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
I hate him, i'm sure he'll lose in the next round anyway don't you worry :cool:
You might hate him, but you've got to admire the way he carries on regardless of injury, and bears all the pressure that's put soley on him.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
You might hate him, but you've got to admire the way he carries on regardless of injury, and bears all the pressure that's put soley on him.
and still has time to do cute adverts with even cuter babies that spill stuff down themselves!!

if only he wasn't married and i didn't have a bf :rolleyes: could have been perfect!!

Ruthie xx
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Earnshaw - nice - 2-2. He should set the Prem alight this year.
Not at West Brom he won't.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Imagashead)
True he missed an NI penalty when he was stood within 10 yards of the foul, however in the Savage incident he had little option but to send both players off. Savage elbowed the player then after being fouled grabbed his ass and swung round to face up to him. when punched, he rolled theatrically so he had to go, for what are three bookable offences in the space of less than 30 seconds. The NI player intentional scissor kicked Savage and punched him when Savage grabbed him so he had to go too. In the second NI sending off incident the player scored then kicked a corner flag (a bookable offence, and rightly so as fixing them, replacing them or putting them back waste time) and then gestured at the crowd (another bookable offence as it winds up the crowd and thus is potentionally dangerous) - unfortunately he left the referee with little option. The reason why there will be no official complaint is because both teams realise that they would have little grounds on which to do so.
Balls. Michael Hughes' sending off was justified, it was a dreadful tackle worth of a red card on its own. Savage was extremely unlucky, his reaction would only draw a yellow card from any other ref.

And as for Healy, kicking the corner flag is indeed a booking, but the gesture afterwards was simply a crossing of his forearms. It wouldn't wind up the crowd because it was aimed at the Irish fans and the Welsh wouldn't have paid much attention to his celebration anyway. It was a dreadful second booking and the only reason I can think of for it is that the gesture is probably obscene in Italian (the ref's language). Healy should at least appeal against his second booking.

The ref tried to be part of the entertainment, as they tend to do nowadays, even though everyone knows the best refs are those that don't stand out. I wouldn't say he ruined he game, his actions infact made it a great occasion even if they were crap. He's denied Savage the chance to play probably Wales' biggest game ever. And FIFA are no help, saying Savage has no grounds for appeal. Bloody crap bunch of dickwads.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Psst Xenon! Threads like this only make people aware of him and put pressure on him! You don't want that, he crumbles under the spotlight and his better games tend to be when nobody cares. Don't draw attention!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This begs the inevitable question:

Has he played anyone good?
Imagashead
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Balls. Michael Hughes' sending off was justified, it was a dreadful tackle worth of a red card on its own.
Absolutely we fully agree here. He lunged in, with two feet, and intentionally scissor kicked Savage, with a clear aim not of getting the ball, but of bringing the player down. Quite clearly 'serious foul play'.

Savage was extremely unlucky, his reaction would only draw a yellow card from any other ref.
So you would only caution a player for 1. elbowing someone in the face to get past them easily 'unsporting behaviour', some may go as far to say this was 'serious foul play' although that would probably be unfair since he was running away from the player and not looking at him so its 'careless'. Thus a yellow card here is appropriate. 2. Grabbing their arse and swinging round them to face up to them 'unsporting behaviour' again and thus another yellow card 3. Theatrically rolling 4 times after being punched put then getting up without an injury known as 'simulation' which is an automatic 'unsporting behaviour' caution. Unlucky? He needs to control his temper as well as realise that he isn't at the theatre. What I can't understand is how you think the referee had any other option?

And as for Healy, kicking the corner flag is indeed a booking, but the gesture afterwards was simply a crossing of his forearms. It wouldn't wind up the crowd because it was aimed at the Irish fans and the Welsh wouldn't have paid much attention to his celebration anyway. It was a dreadful second booking and the only reason I can think of for it is that the gesture is probably obscene in Italian (the ref's language). Healy should at least appeal against his second booking.
I'm glad you agree about the corner flag. I'd agree that the gesture was not particularly obscene so if your are right and it was aimed at the Northern Irish fans and not the Welsh ones then yes I'd agree that yellow carding him for that was unfair and instead a few words would have been much more appropriate.

The ref tried to be part of the entertainment, as they tend to do nowadays, even though everyone knows the best refs are those that don't stand out.
In a very tense game where nerves and passions run high what else is the referee to do? They are forced to make tough decisions because of the players actions. More importantly, although i'd agree that often referees need to avoid standing out, in a very tense game the ref needs to make himself heard so that players don't think they've got carte blanche to act as they please. That said, its up the referee to act calmly to try to help take the edge of a difficult game, having not seen the whole game I couldn't comment as to whether the referee did this.

I wouldn't say he ruined he game, his actions infact made it a great occasion even if they were crap.
Unfortunately his poor decision on the penalty affected what should have been a Northern Irish victory. Thus he ruined the game as far as they were concerned, and if you are right that the gesture was in front of Northern Irish fans then that was certainly a further blunder which affected their chances.

He's denied Savage the chance to play probably Wales' biggest game ever. And FIFA are no help, saying Savage has no grounds for appeal. Bloody crap bunch of dickwads.
Savage denied himself the right to play in Wales biggest ever game through his own reaction and theatrics, he has no grounds for appeal.
Specialheffa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi guys, i've seen quite a few Utd fans on the board, especially some in London.

I was wondering if anyone knew the website/contact details for the Man Utd LONDON supporters club? I know there are a couple...

Also, a general football question. How do you go about getting away tickets, say i want to see Crystal Palace vs Utd, would i get them from Man U or from Crystal Palace?

Thanks in advance peeps!!
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Specialheffa)
Hi guys, i've seen quite a few Utd fans on the board, especially some in London.

I was wondering if anyone knew the website/contact details for the Man Utd LONDON supporters club? I know there are a couple...

Also, a general football question. How do you go about getting away tickets, say i want to see Crystal Palace vs Utd, would i get them from Man U or from Crystal Palace?

Thanks in advance peeps!!
UNITED UNITED!!!!

say you went to the game at selhurst park. to sit with the palass fans you would get them from palass, to sit with the united fans you would get them through man utd box office.

if match was at old trafford, and you wanted to sit with palass then get them through palass box office, if you want to sit with united, then through united (long long waiting list)
Specialheffa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chats)
UNITED UNITED!!!!

say you went to the game at selhurst park. to sit with the palass fans you would get them from palass, to sit with the united fans you would get them through man utd box office.

if match was at old trafford, and you wanted to sit with palass then get them through palass box office, if you want to sit with united, then through united (long long waiting list)
HI CHats.. thanks

Although, i've been on the Man u ticket page, and it only has sales for Home games.. which gets me even more confused..lol
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
heres a link to supporters club.

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/spo...english-se.htm
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
and here are the official supporters clubs in London.

http://www.manutd.com/supportersunit...tompageid=1058

ps: tickets for manutd vs fernabache are on GENERAL SALE!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads