The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A true sportsman, someone else we know would have given up by now :rolleyes:
Reply 5361
Mark_KK
I echo your analergy with the student thing, I was thinking along the same lines :smile:.
Consider how many people sit exams each year, and then compare it with the number that run an olympic long distance race in conditions harsher than they have ever ran competitively? Not such a good analogy after all. It's a completely different level, beyond what the large majority of critics can comprehend.

NDGAARONDI
I can :biggrin:
In those conditions?

mcy2k51@hotmail
Guys you are being far too harsh on her. My brother is in training for the olympics for 2008 in bejing. He is currently training in the philipines for two years so the heat will be nothing to him when he comes to compete in the triathlon in China.

All the best to him.

shyopstv
For the marathon, I would say the she was pretty stupid to be honest.She can't complain about the heat (she knew the race was going to be held in Athens for years and Athens is always hot during the summer). As for the state of the track, I don't believe that she would have gone into a race totally unprepared for what was in front of her - that kind of preparation is essential if you want to do well in the marathon. As for the 10k, that was just pathetic.

As for the people saying that I wouldn't be able to do it, well that would be because I am not a profesional athlete! She is and it is her job to finish races. If any of us were not to do our jobs properly, we would get sacked!

On the first point, they said it was the hottest day yet, and possibly the hottest day that summer.

Regards the second paragraph; are you able to excel at eveything you do at work? Have you never once failed? Hmm.
Reply 5362
goldenbarnes
Nothing's ever going to beat the Atletico Bilbao UEFA Cup shirt though

Gorgeous

What the hell, is that a tablecloth?!
Reply 5363
hes been a very effective cricketer for eng
the best kit of all time

you know its beautiful
Leonux
In those conditions?

What was the temperature and humidity on that day?
Reply 5367

not bad, wouldnt mind wearing that
Reply 5368
NDGAARONDI
What was the temperature and humidity on that day?
35 C, and unsure about the exact humidity but BBC News online describe it as 'high'.

Starting from the village that gave the event its name, Radcliffe was with the leading group for the first 15 miles but she never seemed comfortable in the blazing 35 degrees heat and high humidity.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/3589138.stm

Then take into account how hard the course was.
shyopstv
For the marathon, I would say the she was pretty stupid to be honest.She can't complain about the heat (she knew the race was going to be held in Athens for years and Athens is always hot during the summer). As for the state of the track, I don't believe that she would have gone into a race totally unprepared for what was in front of her - that kind of preparation is essential if you want to do well in the marathon. As for the 10k, that was just pathetic.

Exactly, totally agree. And another reason she can't complain about the heat- what about all the others who finished the race?! They didn't drop out because it was too hot did they. Paula dropped out almost as soon as she dropped into 4th place.
Reply 5370
NDGAARONDI
A link which might interest cricket fans http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/

an excellent site. i've used it on many occasions to look at stats.
chats
when did klinsmann become manager?

When Rudi Voeller got sacked :tongue:
Hey - did anybody else watch thsi match - i was tres disappointed with adriano - and i reaaaally wanted to see robinho playing - ah well. ronaldinho's goal was fantastic - kahn just did not move! :biggrin:
Reply 5372
How many teams go through from each qualifying group?
Reply 5373
When Carlo Cudicini becomes eligible for England selection next year, would you like to see him in the side?
Chris_
When Carlo Cudicini becomes eligible for England selection next year, would you like to see him in the side?

Yes I would.
Chris_

I would. He's a great goalkeeper. Thing is, would he want to play for England? I've always wondered if he'd play for England and thought he'd go for Italy but other sportsmen in different sports do it so why not football? :d
Reply 5376
TheWolf
Yes I would.

So you don't think that it would be slightly unpatriotic, and also unfair to James/Robinson/Kirkland?
Reply 5377
NDGAARONDI
I would. He's a great goalkeeper. Thing is, would he want to play for England? I've always wondered if he'd play for England and thought he'd go for Italy but other sportsmen in different sports do it so why not football? :d

The problem is, he's definetly good enough to play for Italy but is still only 4th choice. He's been unfortunate because Toldo and Buffon are both outstanding keepers and will probably always be picked before him. He may try and take whatever chance at playing international football he can get..
Reply 5378
When he was asked about this he said that he was Italian and I would not want to see an Italian play for England.
Chris_

Hell Yeah! :biggrin:

Though lack of match practice for Chelsea may lead to him declining in form. :frown:

Latest