Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
teamvillage
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
As a Spurs fan, I'd have to disagree with you.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a positive media item about Spurs.

As for Ledley King - having seen all three of them playing, I think King is miles better than both of them.
Of course, you are in a far better position to comment, but the way I've seen Spurs covered in the media over the past few years is a 'club on the verge of regaining its rightful place among Europe's elite only being stopped by ENIC/Sugar/aliens/illuminati conspiracy'

I think (well, guess) your negative view of Spurs' media commentary is because almost everything written about Spurs is from this viewpoint, the opinion that Spurs should be winning the title, Champions League and World Cup aswell, due to some God given right of pre-eminance. Since I've never discovered the historical basis for this (brief success in the 60's, odd FA cup, if i remember rightly the 18th most successful club in England), I assume that the media is just full of Spurs fans.

I guess you must disagree
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by teamvillage)
If Tottenham was 150 miles north of where it is, there is no way it would have happened, and shows how Sven is under the thumb of the journalists. It only adds to the inequality of the Premiership, when players from most decent clubs such as Villa and Middlesbrough realise they have to be playing in London or the Champions League to get a sniff of the England squad.
*applauds*

It's a travesty that players like Ehiogu and Barry haven't had more international recognition.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How can we be hyped up then, if we don't get any positive media coverage?

King is 5th choice centre back - and is likely to challenge Woodgate for fourth choice.

I'm thinking you must be an Arsenal supporter.
1. By fans and the media when you release a statement saying your interested in Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham et al.

2. Cambell, Ferdinand, Terry, Woodgate, G. Neville, (maybe Upson) King,

3. Try again.
shishi nee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
BARCA

Impressive team. They ll win the Primera division as well.
I don think they'll win the champs league, but they do look very good for la liga!
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
*applauds*

It's a travesty that players like Ehiogu and Barry haven't had more international recognition.
Didn't you say a while ago that Ehiogu was too old now for Boro, let along England.

As for Barry, I've backed him for a while to be England's answer to the left wing position.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
1. By fans and the media when you release a statement saying your interested in Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham et al.

2. Cambell, Ferdinand, Terry, Woodgate, G. Neville, (maybe Upson) King,

3. Try again.
1. We don't often release any statements to do with players we are "interested" in. These are often rumours that the media put in to fill up space.

2. Gary Neville is not a centre-back; and I don't think Sven would consider him in that position.

3. Man United
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As for Barry, I've backed him for a while to be England's answer to the left wing position.
2 seasons ago, I would have agreed totally. Now I think the answer is at Villa, but not him. J'Lloyd Samuel has been absolutely fantastic for well over a season, and at his best when overlapping Barry on the left. The thought of him and Cole as a left-side partnership leaves me very excited!

EDIT: But why did Sven not give Barry a chance? After FINALLY calling him up to the squad, he brings him on for 2 minutes at Centre Back. He's a winger FFS!! What is the point??
Bart Simpson
Report 15 years ago
I reckon its gonna be
ARSENAL
CHELSEA
BARCALONA
REAL MADRID

P.S: who saw drogba's free kick tapped it
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Didn't you say a while ago that Ehiogu was too old now for Boro, let along England.
This season, when we have a great youngster like Chris Riggott on the bench, then yes, I believe he should step aside and give the next Gary Pallister a chance. But for the past 4 seasons he's been phenomenal at the back and given us great service - many pundits agreeing the Southgate/Ehiogu partnership is the best in the league. He got one call up from Sven, scored on it (Sven's first match, so it probably wasn't even him who picked the team), and was never picked again.
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, I've followed Charlton for a while and was happy to see them finish well last season, but they have started very disappointingly.
so have man utd, and 99% of people will say they will finish in the top 3
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
many pundits agreeing the Southgate/Ehiogu partnership is the best in the league. He got one call up from Sven, scored on it (Sven's first match, so it probably wasn't even him who picked the team), and was never picked again.
Southgate/Ehiogu have been best centre-back partnership for at least 5 years of the premiership, whether at Villa or 'Boro

The story is so similar with Barry. Made every squad in the 9 months before Sven, and 1 in the 4 years since.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Southgate/Ehiogu have been best centre-back partnership for at least 5 years of the premiership, whether at Villa or 'Boro

The story is so similar with Barry. Made every squad in the 9 months before Sven, and 1 in the 4 years since.
there does seem to be abit of elitism as smith, wasnt first choice for england, joins united and whahey straight in the line up
phil nevile and butt? were they ever international quality?
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Who is Sonny Pike?
some 'promising' english kid who was tipped to be the best in the world, signed up by Ajax at a very young age. Dont think anyone knows where he has ****ed off to now
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Incomplete)
there does seem to be abit of elitism as smith, wasnt first choice for england, joins united and whahey straight in the line up
phil nevile and butt? were they ever international quality?
Butt did well at the World Cup though, but judging on performances for United, he isn't as good as the likes of Gerrard or Lampard.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Butt did well at the World Cup though, but judging on performances for United, he isn't as good as the likes of Gerrard or Lampard.
He's had a very good start at Newcastle so far though, and been one of their most consistent players (along with Bellamy).
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
he's got alot better since going to newcastle but i dont believe he is good enough, he was struggling to get in the united 1st team for most of his international career
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Incomplete)
he's got alot better since going to newcastle but i dont believe he is good enough, he was struggling to get in the united 1st team for most of his international career
Yep - and Sven has now shown a liking for King in defensive midfield, as he did for Spurs last season.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yep - and Sven has now shown a liking for King in defensive midfield, as he did for Spurs last season.
He came on for 10 minutes there at the end of one match :rolleyes:
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
He came on for 10 minutes there at the end of one match :rolleyes:
I am pretty sure he would of played in the match against portugal if he hadnt gone home for family reasons instead of nevile who came on. Bit of bad luck really

Also W2S who are you? if that makes sense?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
2 seasons ago, I would have agreed totally. Now I think the answer is at Villa, but not him. J'Lloyd Samuel has been absolutely fantastic for well over a season, and at his best when overlapping Barry on the left. The thought of him and Cole as a left-side partnership leaves me very excited!

EDIT: But why did Sven not give Barry a chance? After FINALLY calling him up to the squad, he brings him on for 2 minutes at Centre Back. He's a winger FFS!! What is the point??
J'Lloyd was immense on the first day of the season.

Have you been to see any games this season?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads