Report 15 years ago
ive just served drinks and canapes to half the ryder cup team
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
After seeing Leeds Rhinos blow away the competition this season and take the league leader's trophy a full 9 points clear of the chasing pack (apart from Saints pre-Long and Gleeson debacle) can any other team beat them?

For anybody who isn't familiar with the rugby league play-offs, the matches go as follows. The top 6 (Leeds, Bradford, Hull, Wigan, Saints and Wakefield) play each other in a kind of knockout competition, with the culmination being a final at Old Trafford on October 16th:

3v6
4v5

Winner of 3v6 plays winner of 4v5
1v2 (winner goes to final)

Loser of 1v2 plays winner of the other match the previous weekend (winner is the other finalist)

Final

Personally, I see Leeds beating Bradford at Headingley with Bradford being the other grand finalist. Hull will need to find their early season form (althouh it's looking difficult with the loses of Horne and King) as I think Wakey will be up for their match and on a bit of a high. I'd expect Wigan to do away with Saints fairly convincingly, but with Bradford just coming into a bit of form, I'd expect them to beat any of those four below them at home. Perhaps I can see Leeds win their first league title for 32 years...

PS. I don't want this to turn into an argument between union and league. If you want to do that, start a different thread.

It would be nice to see Leeds win it this year but I honestly think they will bottle it at Old Trafford. The winner for me will be either Bradford or Wigan. Bradford as you say have just come into form and if Wigan fire they could take this years crown. I just feel Leeds will get the feeling they will just need to turn up to win like many other GF winners in the past and then get pipped by the second favourites.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
ive just served drinks and canapes to half the ryder cup team
Seriously?
If so then cool.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Seriously?
If so then cool.
yeah, the company i work for hires waiting staff out to catering companies, and yesterday was the retirement do of the head guy of the pga at woburn abbey, and half the ryder cup team were there

http://www.europeantour.com/tourname...TourNo=2004061

http://sport.independent.co.uk/golf/...p?story=564710
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was watching it at my Uni's local and we were so happy that we beat the Americans. I had no idea that so many people liked Golf.
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ravs)
alkaeda, what are you on about? just because i was hoping pak would reach the final, that makes me think they are better than india? NO

i just wanted more of a contest in the final, thats all, i know lots of pak fans who have cheered for india in the past when we have played,say, australia, that doesnt mean they think india are a better test team than pak, even though we are. who else has maneged to draw with aus 1-1 in their own backyard and beat them at home in their last two series vs them?

you really have no clue about anything do you? oh dear
erm, oh dear to the fact that INDIA GOT BEATEN AGAIN.

Fact is if you look at the ODI, and test rankings Pakistan is ahead of India and has been ahead for about 5 years now... so i thinks it JOO who doesnt know any facts. Man i cant WAIT to see india getting owned 5-0 or whatever in tests by australia... and i wish i could have seen ur face when we won at edgbaston, we plyd australia b4 the ICC trophy and ok we lost but only by a few runs both times. That prooves we are only just behind australia... with england 3rd... west indies 4th and INDIA 5TH . WOOT!
teamvillage
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Would have preferred Eng v Pak to be honest. How many times have we seen England play the Windies in the last 12 months?
Jay Mehta
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chats)
why is everyone saying spurs?
they are crap. it will be the usual season for them
Maybe, but you can't say that after an unbeaten start, idiot.

Getting a victory at Newcastle, draw at Liverpool and Chelsea. These clubs are contenders for the CL, Europe and the title.
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Palace. It'll be another late push like it was for the play offs last year.

Yes, I'm dillusional
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jay Mehta)
Maybe, but you can't say that after an unbeaten start, idiot.

Getting a victory at Newcastle, draw at Liverpool and Chelsea.
Newcastle were extremely poor at the start of the season. They drew AT HOME to Liverpool, and dug-in (rather controversially) against Chelsea.

They have made a good start to the season, but if Villa had done exactly the same (which they practically have) there wouldn't be such a fuss made over it.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What about the best player on the team - Padraig Harrington.

As usual: overlooked by the British media.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I like women's football, but it has to be said the keepers are rubbish. My ex girlfriend played for Boro Ladies and another good friend of mine plays for Burnley young girls something or other. Nice.
ravs
Report 15 years ago
alkeda, learn how to spell first of all

also, we were the last team to beat aus in test matches, and they respect us as a test side for more than your rubbish team, heres proof:

in a test in sharjah aus bowled pak out in the 50s TWICE in a test match, and matthew hayden scored a hundred in that test, so HE ALONE scored more than all of yor batters did TWICE

bunch of amateurs

aus actually respect the indians as they havent managed to beat us, whereas they embarased you

and also youre little statement about you being higher for 5 years is rubbish, when we won the last odi in the series in pakistan we moved higher than you to 106 poits, you had 104 and when we won the tests 2-1 we went to 4th but then these stupid ratings changed. everybody knows whos better, even you

we CRUSHED you by an innings twice, on what grounds do you think you are a better test side than india? our last two series vs aus reads Won 1 Drawn 1
id like to see you try to explain why pak are a better test side than india, go on try it!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Don't worry, despite the lack of replies, there are a few girls on this site who like playing and watching football. I love watching football, and support arsenal. But nothing can beat the excitement and thrill of playinf the sport! I play for a uni team as well, and am also hoping to get into the futsal squad to play in the world muslim championships.
I saw England play Belgium at Futsal, at Bath.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Newcastle were extremely poor at the start of the season. They drew AT HOME to Liverpool, and dug-in (rather controversially) against Chelsea.

They have made a good start to the season, but if Villa had done exactly the same (which they practically have) there wouldn't be such a fuss made over it.
I have now sort of changed my mind over Bolton. Could go quite far this season, me thinks.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
I have now sort of changed my mind over Bolton. Could go quite far this season, me thinks.
I think they'll fizzle out. They're far too inconsistent anyway.

BTW.. the Premiership promises to be great this season.
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
look guys... no point in arguing here... they are both good sides... on each team's day they can trash the other...
india are just batting terribley at the moment... but their bowling seems not too bad...
ravs
Report 15 years ago
can we please make a distinction here

in ODI cricket india are playing terribly

this has nothing to do with test form, where many of our players excel

according to our last results, our test form is SUPERB

there is a line to be drawn between the two, this english summer has nothing to do with how india will play in tests because a) the pitches will be completely different and to our liking and b) in tests players get time to build an innings more and the game cant be taken away from you thanks to a few run filled overs

fair comment?
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
It would be nice to see Leeds win it this year but I honestly think they will bottle it at Old Trafford. The winner for me will be either Bradford or Wigan. Bradford as you say have just come into form and if Wigan fire they could take this years crown. I just feel Leeds will get the feeling they will just need to turn up to win like many other GF winners in the past and then get pipped by the second favourites.
If it was last year's team that reached the grand final in a similar fashion from Leeds, then I'd hesitantly agree there, but I feel that Smith has instilled a good work ethic in the side by working for each other. It would be nice from a Leeds perspective though to swap the statistic form last season around though and beat Bradford 5 from 5 (one of them being in a major final), but I shall just have to wait and see. On a side issue, if both Wakefield and Wigan win this weekend, the Leeds vs. Bradford match is bumped back to the Saturday, which means I miss it as I have to get down to Cambridge (although I plan to come back up for the Grand Final). I guess I'll end up supporting Hull from a selfish point of view, although in some respects I think Wakefield deserve it a bit more as they were tipped by some as relegation fodder again with Shane McNally working wonders on a fairly limited squad with a few gems (Ellis springs to mind immediately). Should be a good play-off series though (and should be a sell-out at Headingley again).
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jay Mehta)
Getting a victory at Newcastle, draw at Liverpool and Chelsea. These clubs are contenders for the CL, Europe and the title.
They were lucky to draw against Chelsea. Then again if they play like that against Arsenal they just might draw against them with 11 defenders
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed