Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
teamvillage
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think Villa have lost all chances of finishing 4th. Unlike last season, our paper thin squad has already been hit by injuries. In our last game, we played a right midfielder at right back, a central midfielder at left back and a left back at centre back. Neither Ridgewell nor Laursen will be back for over a month, so we have 1 fit centre back, and if he gets injured we are royally screwed. Teams cobbled together like this do not make the CL as a rule! And yes, Doug Ellis its your fault!
xxgirlxx
Report 15 years ago
i'm a girl and i love football and i do also play footy for a team
yeah england are hosting the ladies' european championships in 2005.
there was a swedish team winning the championship last time, they were brill
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I saw England play Belgium at Futsal, at Bath.
Wow, cool. I've never watched a futsal match, only had practices so far, and practice games. Futsal's pretty tough though. For every stoppage, the time is stopped, and you have about 5 seconds for every kick in, else the other team gets it.
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
I like women's football, but it has to be said the keepers are rubbish. My ex girlfriend played for Boro Ladies and another good friend of mine plays for Burnley young girls something or other. Nice.
Agreed about the goalkeepers; can't say I've ever seen one who looks even vaguely confident in herself!
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by teamvillage)
I think Villa have lost all chances of finishing 4th. Unlike last season, our paper thin squad has already been hit by injuries. In our last game, we played a right midfielder at right back, a central midfielder at left back and a left back at centre back. Neither Ridgewell nor Laursen will be back for over a month, so we have 1 fit centre back, and if he gets injured we are royally screwed. Teams cobbled together like this do not make the CL as a rule! And yes, Doug Ellis its your fault!
Sadly, I think you're right.
Bart Simpson
Report 15 years ago
Would have preferred Eng v Pak to be honest. How many times have we seen England play the Windies in the last 12 months?
me too
kaxxa(maltese)
Report 15 years ago
Is handball a popular sport in your country? Do u play this sport? I need some info about any teams u play with for a global report i am doing.

Thanks
ravs
Report 15 years ago
england have played 8 test matches against the west indies in the space of 6 months, they just wanted to increase their rankings points i dont blame them, i wish india could play 8 tests against the west indies with the way both teams are playing test cricket atm
Counterpoint
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ravs)

also, we were the last team to beat aus in test matches, and they respect us as a test side for more than your rubbish team.

bunch of amateurs

I'm sorry? Pakistan, amateurs? I hope you were saying this in a half jesty mood, and didn't really think that pakistan are "rubbish...amateurs." Its a bit unlike you to make analyses like this. As for the fool to whom you are replying, don't get reeled in by his bait, they thrive on causing anger.

It is never a foregone conclusion that India will beat pakistan, or pakistan will beat india; like someone else posted, both teams are capable of beating the other, on any stage.
ravs
Report 15 years ago
no no no i dont mean they are amateurs and rubbish,

i mean that in that game where they were bowled out for 53 and 59 where hayden made more than the entire team did in both innings, that they were rubbish and amateur IN THAT GAME

and i stick by that, its hardly a professional performance

i have great respect for pakistan, why else would i go to watch my team play them, i used to have alot of time for wasim and waqar, used to love watching them bowl, i could watch it all day
Counterpoint
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hehe, my bad ravs, I mis-read what you wrote and thought you were making a general statement. Yes, sometimes they really do put up amateurish performances... the semi was heartbreaking, but it's happened so often and at such key moments that I can bear the thrashings now. Did anyone see Akhtar's ball that caught Lara? I hope he wasn't body-chasing! I only checked the news on tele-text.

Was it a skimming sort of impact or full-on? I hope the man recovers for the final.
ravs
Report 15 years ago
it was honest fast bowling, he wasnt trying to hit him, it caught him on the side of the head without any protection, so lara was unfortunate to be caught there without it touching the grille first

tbh a person could easily die if hit very hard in that area, so lara could consider himself very fortunate.
in odi cricket i feel india and pakistan are both about as inconsistent as each other but in tests recently india have been improving with respect to consistency whereas i feel pakistan still have to get the consistent touch in tests, but woolmer could provide that

although woolmer and inzi have the pakistani press to answer to on why they chose to bat first on such a wet sticky wicket.

i feel for inzi, he was trying to take a positive move, which if it came off, would have made it a touch of genius.

its like when dravid chose to bat first in the 2nd test at lahore where gul took 5for, it was a positive move that if backed up properly, would have set them team up, sadly the batters in both cases, didnt back up the captains choice.
Prologue
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
tut tut tut

i havent logged on here for a couple of weeks and then i see some disgraces giving me nregative rep and it wasnt even when i was arguing my point but weeks after .

anyway look at this article from daily telegraph and bbc sport. shows she was injured , was lucky to even race, and that she was no where near recovered to do the 10k but wanted to see if she had something special to do something special like i said but then her body caught up with her.

Paula Radcliffe has revealed the extent of the pressures and injuries that led to her Olympic marathon misery.
Radcliffe pulled out of the marathon with four miles remaining but says the pressure of dealing with a quad injury was responsible for the heartbreak.

"The injury would clear but then return each time I tried to run," she told the Daily Telegraph.

"I was unable to sleep with worry some nights and suffered an upset stomach from the doses of anti-inflammatories."

Radcliffe was favourite for gold in the marathon and expectation from the British public was massive going into the Olympics.

Her preparations for Athens were going well but she was hampered by the injury which was picked just two weeks before the Games.

And the problem was compounded by a mass of clotted blood beneath the muscle.

"My quad felt a little tight during a run in Spain and afterwards went into total spasm," Radcliffe said.

"I was determined to get to the start line and we took a very aggressive line of treatment but the period was very stressful.
I did not for one moment consider retiring or taking time out

"I was very nervous on race day but when I warmed up, I felt that the leg would hold out and I relaxed.

"However, after just 10km my stomach problems started and my legs were also feeling very weak. Eventually I had to concede that there was no way I could push my body any further.

"I was in shock and disbelief that it could end like that and even tried running again but my legs could not carry me."

"I still don't have the answers and may never get them," she added.

"However, it's most likely that I had run my marathon just to get to the start line.

"The anti-inflammatories and stress upset my bowel so that I was unable to absorb enough energy and nutrients.

More agony for Radcliffe

"Had I pushed further I would have damaged my body further. As it is, tests showed my liver was struggling to cope and I lost a lot of weight. "The night of the marathon was the worst of my life. My body hurt all over but my heart was totally broken."

Despite her marathon agony, Radcliffe decided to compete in the 10,000m five days later but dropped out with eight laps remaining.

"I don't have any regrets about trying the 10,000m," she said.

"At least I won't always be wondering if I could have raced it.

"My legs were just unable to recover from the trauma, even now they are still sore."

Turning the corner

Radcliffe is now recovering from the experience and, with the injury gone, has began running again.

"I am concentrating on rebuilding my body. I feel angry and hurt and am determined to learn from the mistakes I made.

Radcliffe baffled by failure

"It was when I began running a few days ago that I began to turn the corner.

"I don't doubt my ability to become stronger and wiser as a result," she said.

"My dream is postponed, not over, and as soon as I am ready I will set new goals on the way to my next shot at it."
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Agreed about the goalkeepers; can't say I've ever seen one who looks even vaguely confident in herself!
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. But that can't be our fault (as women)! I know I used to loathe being asked to be goalie for games, much prefer defence. That said, at the moment our team already has sum1 willing to be goalie at the moment.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I like Football!
But I'm not a woman.
Most interesting how the first person the reply to this thread (enter: please read thread title) is male.

Oh well, least you like the sport!
Beejra
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kaxxa(maltese))
Is handball a popular sport in your country? Do u play this sport? I need some info about any teams u play with for a global report i am doing.

Thanks
Unfortunately, not at all. Few people have heard of Handball in the UK and if they have it's normally because they live abroad - like me.

Check out www.englandhandball.com
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kaxxa(maltese))

Thanks
I think it's quite popular in Argentina
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
and i think they play it in ireland.. i remember seeing a match a month or two ago on sky sports
kaxxa(maltese)
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alkaeda)
and i think they play it in ireland.. i remember seeing a match a month or two ago on sky sports
Here in malta it is a very popular sport, and we have many teams... I play with Aloysians, for example. It is a favourite sport maybe because it is quite rough!
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by danni_bella83)
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. But that can't be our fault (as women)! I know I used to loathe being asked to be goalie for games, much prefer defence. That said, at the moment our team already has sum1 willing to be goalie at the moment.
I've been goalie before in a 5-aside tournament, and it went ok. I found it really boring a lot of times, because there was not as much to do. I don't mind diving for the ball and stuff, but it wasn't as fun as playing elsewhere, and in the last game, I got injured. I saved a hard shot, and hurt my finger pretty bad, even though I was wearing gloves. That has sort of put me off being goalie.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise