Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    Yeah, I suppose we have a chance if we hit the right form (the whitewash was a fair bit harsh on the GB side), although I think Cunningham is nowhere near the class act he used to be due to being injured for so long and loosing fitness.
    Yeah I agree about Cunningham. I think he will be hungry this year though, really hungry because from what I can gather he is hurting about last year.

I think if Danny Orr does the business at Wigan, GB have a a great chance in the Tri series, maybe not winning it but winning a couple of games. Orr is important. It means GB's pack would probably be better than AUS.

8 Fielden
    9 Newton/Cunningham
    10 Morley
    11 Peacock
    12 Farrell
    13 Sculthorpe

That is a very formidable pack. With Carney developing and possibly young Calderwood at Leeds, GB could have a very good, well balanced side, not a team made up of players in make shift positions they have never played before.

ReputationRep:
    League is better, but I've been brough up around rugby league, all the clubs play league where I am. I just love rugby. I don't know why?

ReputationRep:
    When people talk about 'making the transition' from league to union, is it really that tough? Also, if League is far superior, why do more players come from league to union?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    13 Sculthorpe
    Sculthorpe went to my school! MY SCHOOL! Quite a few people have been signed from my school for the professional clubs about my area!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    When people talk about 'making the transition' from league to union, is it really that tough? Also, if League is far superior, why do more players come from league to union?
    League is a far more simplistic game and therefore yes it is hard to make the transition especially if you never watch the sport.

League players go to union for the $$$. The exact same reason that union players went to League in the late 80's /early 90's. Dont kid yourself. Every notable League player which has gone to Union from League has won practically every honour in the game in League and has nothing else less to prove.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree about Cunningham. I think he will be hungry this year though, really hungry because from what I can gather he is hurting about last year.

I think if Danny Orr does the business at Wigan, GB have a a great chance in the Tri series, maybe not winning it but winning a couple of games. Orr is important. It means GB's pack would probably be better than AUS.

8 Fielden
    9 Newton/Cunningham
    10 Morley
    11 Peacock
    12 Farrell
    13 Sculthorpe

That is a very formidable pack. With Carney developing and possibly young Calderwood at Leeds, GB could have a very good, well balanced side, not a team made up of players in make shift positions they have never played before.
    I think we'd just about match the Aussies in the pack. It's just in the backs that I see the main inequalities. I agree that Carney looks the business, but Calderwood always seems to be terrified of running at big players. As for the half-backs, I think Orr is definately worth a shot. As for the other, I'd love to see McGuire fulfill his potential this year at Leeds and be given a chance at the big time.

As for the domestic competition, I see a three horse race between Bradford, Wigan and Leeds with Bradford being rightful favourites. Leeds's fortunes will probably depend largely on new coach Smith and I'm a little worried of the ageing props (I think McDermott is well past his best now unfortunately). As for Wigan, they may well experience a "second season" syndrome with all the new players. I don't rate Saints's chances particularly this season but I think Hull might well be the dark horses with the easier fixture list from not making top 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    Sculthorpe went to my school! MY SCHOOL! Quite a few people have been signed from my school for the professional clubs about my area!
    Both of them?

My school spawned Iain Balshaw, Will Greenwood and Kyran Bracken and one of the current England coaches taught me for quite a few years because he was a teacher at my school.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, not so long ago (when league was professional and union was amateur) it used to be the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    I think we'd just about match the Aussies in the pack. It's just in the backs that I see the main inequalities. I agree that Carney looks the business, but Calderwood always seems to be terrified of running at big players. As for the half-backs, I think Orr is definately worth a shot. As for the other, I'd love to see McGuire fulfill his potential this year at Leeds and be given a chance at the big time.

As for the domestic competition, I see a three horse race between Bradford, Wigan and Leeds with Bradford being rightful favourites. Leeds's fortunes will probably depend largely on new coach Smith and I'm a little worried of the ageing props (I think McDermott is well past his best now unfortunately). As for Wigan, they may well experience a "second season" syndrome with all the new players. I don't rate Saints's chances particularly this season but I think Hull might well be the dark horses with the easier fixture list from not making top 6.

Wigan have a very strong side this season apart from in the centres. Uncle Mo tried to sign Justin Hodges in AUS because he has gone walkabout from his club Sydney. I'd never write saints off and the New Zealand Bulls I think might faulter this year without a classy hooker. Leeds dont have the class to get them to the wire.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer playing union myself....it means you actually have to compete for the ball in rucks and mauls....as opposed to getting tackled...rolling it back....getting tackled...rolling it back....etc.

Granted the tackling in league is much harder and fiercer...but i still prefer being able to rip the ball out of your opponents hands.

Also....i hate that once tackle is made in league...the tackler seems to lie over the ball and the player for about 5-10 secs before getting up.

G

ReputationRep:
    Both of them?

My school spawned Iain Balshaw, Will Greenwood and Kyran Bracken and one of the current England coaches taught me for quite a few years because he was a teacher at my school.
    The Head of PE at my school is the ex-coach of the England Counties side. Not quite sure why he bothers teaching in a bog standard comp when coaching local sides and the second string England sides has proved so lucrative to him though. Aparently, because England won the World Cup, he now gets to go to Jamaica next season for warm weather training with another squad, so he's particularly happy at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I prefer playing union myself....it means you actually have to compete for the ball in rucks and mauls....as opposed to getting tackled...rolling it back....getting tackled...rolling it back....etc.

Granted the tackling in league is much harder and fiercer...but i still prefer being able to rip the ball out of your opponents hands.

Also....i hate that once tackle is made in league...the tackler seems to lie over the ball and the player for about 5-10 secs before getting up.

G
    Agreed about the tackling in league, they are supposedly going to put a stop to that this season. Its called 'turtling'. It never lasts for longer than 3 seconds though or you'd get penalised so you rather over exagerated.

You can rip the ball out of somebodies hands in league too.

I'm a union back and usually dont get mixed up in mauls extra but know where your coming from, getting stuck in etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wigan have a very strong side this season apart from in the centres. Uncle Mo tried to sign Justin Hodges in AUS because he has gone walkabout from his club Sydney. I'd never write saints off and the New Zealand Bulls I think might faulter this year without a classy hooker. Leeds dont have the class to get them to the wire.
    Which side do you support then? I'm a Leeds fan myself. I'm fairly confident we're in for a shout this year. We just require a little bit of luck (I'm still smarting from the way we lost the Challenge Cup final last year).

ReputationRep:
    League is a far more simplistic game and therefore yes it is hard to make the transition especially if you never watch the sport.

League players go to union for the $$$. The exact same reason that union players went to League in the late 80's /early 90's. Dont kid yourself. Every notable League player which has gone to Union from League has won practically every honour in the game in League and has nothing else less to prove.
    I guess that League is more limited in terms of scope, only really being played in England, New Zealand and Australia. What did Iestyn Harris win then?

ReputationRep:
    Which side do you support then? I'm a Leeds fan myself. I'm fairly confident we're in for a shout this year. We just require a little bit of luck (I'm still smarting from the way we lost the Challenge Cup final last year).
    I have very little choice in who I support. My girlfriends grandad owns the pie eaters.

ReputationRep:
    I have very little choice in who I support. My girlfriends grandad owns the pie eaters.
    You could be Uncle Mo's grandson-in-law?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed about the tackling in league, they are supposedly going to put a stop to that this season. Its called 'turtling'. It never lasts for longer than 3 seconds though or you'd get penalised so you rather over exagerated.

You can rip the ball out of somebodies hands in league too.

I'm a union back and usually dont get mixed up in mauls extra but know where your coming from, getting stuck in etc.
    God! You backs have it sooo easy in union!! The forwards have to do all the graft...lol.

What position do you play?

G

ReputationRep:
    I guess that League is more limited in terms of scope, only really being played in England, New Zealand and Australia. What did Iestyn Harris win then?
    Challenge cup. Represented both GB and Wales and captained Wales in the rugby League world cup.

For gods sake notice his age. He went for the money and the international game in union, meepmeep I'm sure your more up on this than me being a Leeds fan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    God! You backs have it sooo easy in union!! The forwards have to do all the graft...lol.

What position do you play?

G
    Outside centre.

ReputationRep:
    Outside centre.
    Hmmm....not so bad then.....at least you're not a winger...

G

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.