Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom86)
i said in the premiership! is sunderland in the premiership...hmm let me just think...didnt they get relagated two seasons ago? and rated as the worst premiership team ever? the answer is YES!!
I thought swindon were worse when they were in the top flight...
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)

I'd probably say anfield is the second best in the prem to be honest (although i hate to say it).
Well since I'm not allowed to say Anfield...I dunno actually now that I come to think of it. I'll get back to you!
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's a shame no-one can vote for Old Trafford, but anyways...
it has got to be... THE VALLEY!
wizard
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i said in the premiership! is sunderland in the premiership...hmm let me just think...didnt they get relagated two seasons ago? and rated as the worst premiership team ever? the answer is YES!!
A 48.000 capacity, 4 or 5 star stadium cannot be classified as a chapionship league stadium, really.. :rolleyes:
wizard
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Yes it is! But, Sunderland aren't in the prem
It is a shame coz ppl in Sunderland love football so much and on matchdays the city looks so white and red -ish
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
It's a shame no-one can vote for Old Trafford, but anyways...
I could vote for Old Trafford...but I'm not going to!
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
No you couldn't, because its second best, rather than best.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Obviously Liverpool fans don't count!
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Don't or can't?
Probably both thinking about it
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
good choice.

2nd best after that is probably St James'
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
cos the 1st best is always the team you support. so dont bother. so 2nd best?
i would say man city.
Yep Man city's.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 15 years ago
I know its not Premiership, but a couple of years ago Rochdale's ground was voted best experience for away fans in terms of prices, atmosphere, friendliness etc.
Oxford's old ground was voted worst, although they've moved now.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by helzangel)
yes, but instead we have iestyn harris.. oh and sean long.. wow i bet those aussie boys are shaking now. No doubt mcguire is in the squad to make up the numbers even though he is our best stand off..

And if the team is selected on current form why is gleeson including having not played since his ban??
Gleeson has been selected because of a lack of decent centres.

Playing behind a good forward pack (that we appear to have) Long / Harris /McGuire will do well at half backs.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/View...ticleID=871632

Tykes need county-wide support

Leeds Tykes chief executive Gary Hetherington admits he is "embarrassed to be presiding over a loss-making operation" but has pledged that he will not cut the club's playing budget to reduce the £1m annual deficit.
Those seven-figure losses are covered by club owner Paul Caddick, who said this week that his largesse would not last forever.
Hetherington is devoting his energy to improving gates at Headingley and is also preparing for a legal battle with the Zurich Premiership's governing body to secure parity of central funding for the Tykes – they receive more than £500,000 a year less than the 10 established top-flight clubs, a matter which is understood to be heading for the courts.
He believes cutting costs would be counter-productive.
"It is a classic chicken and egg situation," he said. "We need a top-class team to generate funds and we need funds to provide the top-class team. To reduce our spending, which is already significantly lower than any of our competitors, would reduce our competitiveness. Therefore our strategy is to grow our income."
The Tykes are looking to increase revenue on three fronts: commercial, gates and central funding.
Income from sponsorship and corporate hospitality is at a level the club considers to be acceptable but they are looking to expand it.
Gates are the big problem.
Hetherington said: "Crowds have been disappointing. We believed at the outset that we would attract the rugby union fraternity throughout Yorkshire but this has not happened."
Despite the dearth of interest from traditional union circles, Hetherington believes that the club should persist with its attempts to attract support from the sport's heartlands as it looks to increase gates from 4,000 to 10,000.
He said: "Where are those other 6,000? They are all in the clubs. They are rugby union people. We see our market as not necessarily a new audience.
"Crowds generate crowds but we found that giving free tickets away is valueless. Our policy is that there are thousands of rugby union people out there who understand the game, as many in our catchment area as anywhere.
"There is an enormous amount of work going on with our community programme, developing partnerships with local clubs and schools."
Hetherington says that Leeds Rugby commit twice as much marketing resource to the Tykes than to the Rhinos. One cornerstone of their strategy is the cash-back scheme, whereby other Yorkshire clubs sell Headingley match tickets at full-price and get 50 per cent of the money back from the Tykes.
Hetherington feels the spectacle offered by the Tykes and by Premiership rugby in general has to improve so that first-time watchers are encouraged to return.
He said: "To my mind, the game as a spectacle has got to improve, to the level of Super 12. I think there's a complacency within the Premiership – for teams like Gloucester and Northampon, rugby union is the biggest sport in the area. We are in a tough competitive market.
"Out of 10 Super League games, seven are pretty good. The problem with the Premiership is that number is about two. When they are good games, they are bloody good games – if you could guarantee that, like the first 20 minutes of Leeds Tykes versus Worcester for at least 60 minutes, seven out of 10 times, then you've got a good product.
"We've got a result against every Premiership team but we have not yet set the competition alight. What we need is a sustained run of results with the quality of performance. When we were winning games two years ago, we didn't have that.
"We have not had the box-office attraction but I think with people like (Iain) Balshaw, (Tim) Stimpson and (Tom) Biggs – huge because he's local – we are becoming more box-office friendly, which we need to be. I think the ingredients are in place."
Having attracted decent crowds to the nascent Sheffield Eagles in the mid-90s, Hetherington holds out hope that Leeds Tykes support can grow sufficiently in the coming years.
He said: "As to how quickly we can develop the crowd base, I don't know, but I believe there is a chance.
"Professional sport is like any other business. You need to set firm foundations, have a plan and work towards delivering it.
"You never know how long it's going to take. The Tykes can achieve their goals but to do so we'll need the support of rugby union people throughout the county of Yorkshire."
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's a strange article, he bemoans the lack of support then confirms that 8 out of 10 games are crap.

No wonder they spend twice as much marketing the Tykes when their sales message is:

"Come and watch the Tykes, you have a 1 in 5 chance of being entertained"
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's G 8 apparently. Ponce? I think so.
Slice'N'Dice
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Indeed. Well said.
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Like the group of countries? Or like Grampus Eight? Or....?!
PapeeChumo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
apparently it represents the number on the back of his shirt!
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
How can you call one of the greatest legends of the game a ponce! :mad:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.84%
No (155)
74.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed