Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Just wondering why there are 2 different institutions for the same sport. Is it like in boxing, where they have all these different federations, because they are having rows all the time?

Erm, well the main difference is that League is sh!t and Rugby is legendary... (Mark KK is going ot shoot me down for that one)

apart from what the others have said. I spent a whole lunch hour having League explained to me by my friends who play in the aussie and NZ schoolboys teams and still I didnt get it.

What is even more scary, one of the NZ guys didnt know a thing about rugby... How does that work? Everyone in NZ knows Rugby!

ReputationRep:
    ~how so??

ReputationRep:
    So Come on you English! Who do you want as replacement captain?!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Erm, well the main difference is that League is sh!t and Rugby is legendary... (Mark KK is going ot shoot me down for that one)

apart from what the others have said. I spent a whole lunch hour having League explained to me by my friends who play in the aussie and NZ schoolboys teams and still I didnt get it.

What is even more scary, one of the NZ guys didnt know a thing about rugby... How does that work? Everyone in NZ knows Rugby!
    League is sh1t yet Rugby is legendary? Then how come the new England Rugby Union coach has just said that he wants to spend time with Rugby League teams to improve the R.U players game?

T.v. viewing figures in G.B. and Aus would suggest that more people watch League. To cap it all approx. 50% of those who watch RL on Sky in the U.K. are southerners .

So much for a load of sh1t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    League is sh1t yet Rugby is legendary?

Yet t.v. viewing figures in G.B. and Aus would suggest that more people watch League. To cap it all approx. 50% of those who watch RL on Sky in the U.K. are southerners .

So much for a load of sh1t.
    *Dodges sharp objects*

This could go on forever, I guess it comes down to personal preference. I dont like/understand league because ive been brought up in a strongly Rugby family. My brothers and cousins both play rep rugby and my father in his day was a #10 for Manly and younger NSW.

Probably the reason why more people watch league is becuase its on free to air tv whereas the Rugby is on Foxtel and the premier league finals is on ABC. Also that Rugby is only mostly played in private and sports highschools.

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys! Someone must have an opinion!

ReputationRep:
    More info from AFP

Time-out is right for me: Jonny

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Injury-hit England skipper Jonny Wilkinson is expected to miss next month's rugby Test against Australia after admitting he had no choice but to take several weeks off from the game to fully recover from his latest setback.

The World Cup hero will be on the sidelines for up to six weeks to recover from bruising to his right arm.

That means the Newcastle five-eighth will likely miss England's Test matches in November against Canada, South Africa and the Wallabies on the 27th.

He was due to captain England for the first time.

Wilkinson has only just returned from a career-threatening neck and shoulder injury which kept him out for eight months after the World Cup victory.

But he dismissed fears that this latest blow was more serious than at first thought.

"This week I knew there was no decision really. I had to rest," he wrote in his column in The Times, London.

"It would not take many more games before it got so bad that I couldn't actually play long term if the condition were allowed to deteriorate.

"I was not told that one more hit would mean the end of the world but you have to make the link in your own head about the risk."

Wilkinson admitted that although he would have tried to play through the pain, the injury had already thrown him out of his usual routine and was making him more vulnerable in matches.

"The injury has given me no chance to prepare. I could not continue going into games without the right preparation because I would always be looking at damage limitation.

"I could not let it get worse and worse. I need to get to the bottom of it, clear the slate and come back.

"The responsibility was given to me about the pain but I am not good at making decisions about whether I play or not because, deep down, I would never refuse to play.

"It was a group decision. It had got to the stage where I was going into a game knowing I was waiting for that first hit and just praying for that hit not to happen.

"The last thing I want to do is hide. This would lead to sides targeting me, which could only make things worse."

AFP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOJO12)
    I noticed there isn't a thread on girls rugby and wondered if there was any girls here who love it as much as me in this chat room? The aggression of the game and the pints afterwards-the craic is mighty!! I play for my local team, my uni and my country- Ulster U21s. Its a great conversation point when you are out clubbing with your high heels, mini skirt and bruised legs...the fellas are always so shocked when you tell them its stud marks from the match earlier in the afternoon!!
    hmm, interesting :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Our team is in a bit of a state at the moment, but its 3 years until the next world cup where well destroy everyone again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Our team is in a bit of a state at the moment, but its 3 years until the next world cup where well destroy everyone again
    Now come on Narb, hallucinating will get you nowhere, now whose your pick for captain for the November tests?

ReputationRep:
    Well after watching Chelsea play Wednesday and the match so far this afternoon, it seems they have pulled their socks up again and are back playing the game proper. Not sure what happen in the Man City match!!!??? Lets hope they carry on this way.
    C'MON U BLUES!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    It pains me to say that I would like Man Utd to win but I think Arsenal need a kick from their pedestal, just wish it was Chelsea doing the kicking! Arsenal need taking down a peg or two or three or.......having said that if Man Utd beat them they will be singing about it forever! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cindy)
    Well after watching Chelsea play Wednesday and the match so far this afternoon, it seems they have pulled their socks up again and are back playing the game proper. Not sure what happen in the Man City match!!!??? Lets hope they carry on this way.
    C'MON U BLUES!!!!!
    Lets Hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    Lets Hope not
    Shush.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just joined this forum. I have set up http://www.amirkhan.co.uk.
    Feel free to check it out and if you want to post a thanks message for Amir, please do not hesitate.

Regards

Imran
    (webmaster)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone play? What level do you play at?

ReputationRep:
    I feel its gonna be along the line of 2-0 Arsenal. If they can play their normal game then i don't think man united have got a chance!

COME ON ARSENAL!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matrixman397)
    I feel its gonna be along the line of 2-0 Arsenal. If they can play their normal game then i don't think man united have got a chance!

COME ON ARSENAL!! :cool:
    yeah, that's what i hope, but i can't really see them getting the opportunity to play their normal game.....if arsenal win, i reckon it'll be by 1-0....if it's a draw, then 1-1....if man u win, i think something like 2-1

i think a draw's on the cards

ReputationRep:
    3 goals in 3 games. All very imporatnt goals, and all were the only goals to win his team the game. It shows that when the chips are down, Owen will produce. After his first goal for Real in the champions league, Owen followed it up with the only goal against Valecia yesterday. I reckon he could be pretty popular with the Real fans if he continues.

ReputationRep:
    i already posted this in the ultimate fottie thread! :mad:
    only joking, good on the guy

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.