Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Who is that? And how do you compare statistics?
Via the official Premier league statistics on the official premier league website. For example; % of shots saved, % of shots dropped etc.

And the man in question is Nigel Martyn. Unbelievably never gets a look-in..
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Via the official Premier league statistics on the official premier league website. For example; % of shots saved, % of shots dropped etc.

Stats are always going to biased though and doesn't take into account the strength of the team in front of the keeper, plus Martyn doesn't have age on his side and more or less all the challengers do.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I still think that you cant compare different clubs. Better defence means that the shots the goalkeepers have to face are easier as the striker or whatever is likely to put in a weaker shot due to the lack of space and time allowed..etc

+plus there is a thing called form. Statistics dont show which goalkeeper is in form or not (in recent games)
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
Stats are always going to biased though and doesn't take into account the strength of the team in front of the keeper, plus Martyn doesn't have age on his side and more or less all the challengers do.
Statistics say it all. Martyn was evidently the best goalkeeper in the premier league last season, yet Eriksson totally ignores him. Age is not a concern, if you are playing better than the competition you should be in the team. Statistics aren't biased, are you telling me the people who take these statistics are Everton fans?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I still think that you cant compare different clubs. Better defence means that the shots the goalkeepers have to face are easier as the striker or whatever is likely to put in a weaker shot due to the lack of space and time allowed..etc

+plus there is a thing called form. Statistics dont show which goalkeeper is in form or not (in recent games)
You can find form out by watching the goalkeeper. The Everton defence this year has been outstanding. Martyn has conceded 10 goals in 11 games - 4 of which were in the first game. When the defence plays badly the keeper is obviously under more pressure. When Everton played Arsenal first game of the season without Martyn it might have been ten.
You're right in saying you can't compare clubs, but you certainly can compare individuals.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Robinson is and should still be England's number one keeper.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
He's fat.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You can find form out by watching the goalkeeper. The Everton defence this year has been outstanding. Martyn has conceded 10 goals in 11 games - 4 of which were in the first game. When the defence plays badly the keeper is obviously under more pressure. When Everton played Arsenal first game of the season without Martyn it might have been ten.
You're right in saying you can't compare clubs, but you certainly can compare individuals.
how do you comapre the keeper from westbrom and the keeper from chelsea...westbrom's defence is ****, and their shots are less likely to be saved as when the strikers are in the penalty box, its rarely the goalkeepers fault that they conceded the goal. Basically the stats cant diffferentiate what types of goals are scored.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how do you comapre the keeper from westbrom and the keeper from chelsea...westbrom's defence is ****, and their shots are less likely to be saved as when the strikers are in the penalty box, their shots are not saveable. Basically the stats cant diffferentiate what types of goals are scored.
But if the keeper from West Brom was outstanding then you'd know about it. It's just a predjudice against smaller clubs. Too many people think, 'ugh, he's not playing for one of the top clubs so that means he must be crap' - it's not true. Take Kirkland for example, if he was at Derby Country I doubt you'd know about it. If the West Brom defence was that bad, and the strikers were constantly banging them in without him ever saving it then obviously he wouldn't deserve a look in, but if he had a good saves/shots ratio etc then yeah you could consider him.
You need to analyse the play of the candidates, and on the form of the last year Nigel Martyn wins hands down.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is not a coincidence that the top club in the premiership with an English goalkeeper in the 1st team- Everton's Nigel Martin, has the best stats though.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is not a coincidence that the top club in the premiership with an English goalkeeper in the 1st team- Everton's Nigel Martin, has the best stats though.
Which explains my point totally.

Why is everybody talking about Chris Kirkland? He's played 30+ times in three years, and has never ever ever warranted an England cap. The only reason people mention him is because we have 'nobody' else, but, really, if people would broaden their opinions you'd see there is far better keepers than him!

Ps: I think Eriksson is a bloody awful manager.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Basically the stats cant diffferentiate what types of goals are scored.
that was my point, although stats can well be considered they definately shouldn't form the basis of any selection be it keeper or any other player.
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
yep, i agree
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by razormylight)
yep, i agree
So do I.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that was my point, although stats can well be considered they definately shouldn't form the basis of any selection be it keeper or any other player.
Statistics always play an important role. Would you pick somebody who has scored 5 goals in 5 games if each goal was scored from 1 yard out and he played awful in each of the games simply for the reason that you know of him to be a 'prolific' scorer?
Or would you look at which striker makes the most intelligent runs, has the most assists, and highest shots/goals ratio?

There's two ways to look at things.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Statistics always play an important role. Would you pick somebody who has scored 5 goals in 5 games if each goal was scored from 1 yard out and he played awful in each of the games simply for the reason that you know of him to be a 'prolific' scorer?
Or would you look at which striker makes the most intelligent runs, has the most assists, and highest shots/goals ratio?

There's two ways to look at things.
That was my point
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That was my point
I'm emphasising that statistics play a very, very important role, whereas you merely said they should be 'considered'.
Krim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Robert Greene.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
CHRIS KIRKLAND!!!
tejas
Report 14 years ago
The thing is that India has never won the World cup!!,In front of me;ie my eyes.
So It is yet to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads