Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks for the information. It's just I have a ceremonial rugby league top (centennuary (sp)) but as you can see i'm new to the sport And I also have an old GB rugby league top with British Coal being the sponsors

I never saw the match, but I suppose it can be useful watching it, looking out for new potentials for the GB side
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
and bits of Footy im a bit of a Utility Player
Cool, what type of footy? Sorry, but that's a 'must' on this thread lol, as I have now been informed by some on here, seeing as there are plenty of different kinds (even 'family's - quote from NDGAARONDI).

BTW, are you Aussie living in the UK or something? Or just an Aussie who's part English or something and wants to live there? I'm confused :confused:

Yeah, I'm beginning to notice that there are a quite a few other Aussies on here :cool:

Danni x
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Thanks for the information. It's just I have a ceremonial rugby league top (centennuary (sp)) but as you can see i'm new to the sport And I also have an old GB rugby league top with British Coal being the sponsors

I never saw the match, but I suppose it can be useful watching it, looking out for new potentials for the GB side
OMG the British Coal one made by Umbro? That must have been one of the worst designs ever, it was awful!!!
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
k get over it people.

remember she didnt win bugger all in the summer unlike a hell of a lot of other olympians who dont get any mention
LOL that was the joke in starting another thread about someone who won sod all when it really mattered!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No one here plays Eton Fives....
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
OMG the British Coal one made by Umbro? That must have been one of the worst designs ever, it was awful!!!
I think so. Unfortunately I got it ages ago and was needing a sports top and I was getting interested in rugby league at the time. Well, if I start work soon I'll get a better design. What do you think of our current kit?
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think so. Unfortunately I got it ages ago and was needing a sports top and I was getting interested in rugby league at the time. Well, if I start work soon I'll get a better design. What do you think of our current kit?
It's good but this is the last year with Classic (who make very nice shirts if you ask me). The current design is very traditional and I hear a rumor that they want to make it more funkey for 2005 onwards probably cue another horrendous design.

If you want a nice Rugby League top the Wigan shirt from the 2004 season are selling at £25 each in JJB. Great quality material too!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hi All

Is it about time we introduced football refereeing in this game? Many other less popular sports have already done so. It will perhaps reduce the number of complaints about the referee's decisions. And if so under what circumstances will video refereeing be available?

Any other thoughts?
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is good in the way that people will stop diving..etc, but the game would become alot boring and less dramatic.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But justice might be better served by having better decisions at our disposal. I still think players would dive even if we had video refereeing. Currently we don't have players who inhibit their actions which would result in disciplinary action by the FA. But how will it be made more boring and less dramatic? The Rugby World Cup in 2003 was very dramatic but they had video referees then!
rt6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im all for it, but would it keep stopping play? If someone was fouled, then theyd have to stop, watch the video then carry on. If it turns out that it wasnt a foul, then surely advantage that couldve been played would be cancelled? It would keep stopping the game too often. Maybe theres another way?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are we the only ones who watch rugby league? :eek:
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But justice might be better served by having better decisions at our disposal. I still think players would dive even if we had video refereeing. Currently we don't have players who inhibit their actions which would result in disciplinary action by the FA. But how will it be made more boring and less dramatic? The Rugby World Cup in 2003 was very dramatic but they had video referees then!
The sense of injustus brings drama to the game, + hours of discussion in the pub. I think when there is video refereeing, people won't dive as it is pretty hard to get away with it, in most cases, as contact can be shown on cameras....and yes itll stop the flow of the game.

Rugby is not as exciting as football imo.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But it stops all the rants about how team A should have beaten team B. But what if, because of the lack of video refereeing, it cost someone to be relegated, miss out a Champions League place, or, more importantly, come runners up to the Premiership and had it been enforced, they would have won the title?
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think there should be, but only when the on pitch requests the opinion of a video ref, ie not for every other decision.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rt6)
Im all for it, but would it keep stopping play? If someone was fouled, then theyd have to stop, watch the video then carry on. If it turns out that it wasnt a foul, then surely advantage that couldve been played would be cancelled? It would keep stopping the game too often. Maybe theres another way?
No. More important decisions could be looked at. This is what happens in other sports. Ones which may warrant a red card, for example, in rugby league and union, are sometimes sought to the video referee. Then you could look at the offside rule. You can allow play to continue and if the team score and there is doubt whether it is offside or not, you can then look at the video to give it or not, this is used for tries in rugby. Perhaps penalty decisions too.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
I think there should be, but only when the on pitch requests the opinion of a video ref, ie not for every other decision.
Yeah, I agree wid that, and only for very important decisions such as Fouls within 35 yards of the goal, cards, penalty appeals etc.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm totally for it and cannot understand why, despite the fact that we have the technology, they refuse to use it in our game.

If video replays were available would Maradona have knocked England out of the world cup?

I understand people saying it would slow the game down, but isn't the game already slowed down by players surrounding the ref on key decisions time after time anyway? The most controversial decisions would be able to be replayed instantly..

There would be no argueing whether or not the ball actually did cross the line if there is a goal-mouth scramble, and dodgy tackles would be able to be looked at again so that the ref could make a better judgement.

One problem could be, when exactly would they be used? And who would decide? What happens if the ref makes a decision and the video reply proves him to be incorrect? There is many hurdles that would need to be overcome but surely it is just a matter of time.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Fifa actually rejected this idea, because it would be impossible to use such technical means at a universal level.

(Original post by Fifa)
This point is particularly crucial as the same laws and conditions must apply worldwide so as to avoid that competitions such as the World Cup with about 800 preliminary matches around the globe become distorted.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Fifa actually rejected this idea, because it would be impossible to use such technical means at a universal level.
Obviously it would only be used in certain leagues...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
10%
No (9)
90%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed