Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
You should read a book called Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger.

He went to train with the Tokyo Riot Police and did Aikido. It's a great book and gives insight into the practice.
I'll see if I can get it tomorrow then.
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hacker_on_fire)
I want to learn a martial art at uni mainly for self defence and secondly for health/fitness. I do not know which one to choose:

Fujian White Crane
Jitsu
Judo
Kendo
Shorinji Kempo
Taekwondo
Thai Martial Arts
Wing Chun Kung Fu
Shotokan Karate

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
shotokan karate will not teach you complex etchniques (until black belt) but you will certainly get faster and stronger and improve basic techniques beyond belief. it is a very enjoyable sport as well and will keep you flexible and fit no problem.
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i honestly don't have a clue, i tend to switch off when the bf gets onto the topic

lou xxx
lol! Fair enough. My friend tells me aikido is like an extension of it, but he might be making it up.
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
Kung Fu -> havent you ever seen the Matrix?
i believe neo is proficient in all known forms of martial arts
SJ No.18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thai kickboxing is the best for a street fight as you learn punches aswell as practical kicks, elbows and knees. You also learn how to take hits aswell which is handy. Ive been doing it for some months now and its great for fitness and general confidence.

Thai boxing would beat any of the styles you mentioned in a mixed martial art tournament. Trust me its by far the best one for people who are not too serious in taking it to circuit level but for self defence.
SJ No.18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thai kickboxing is the best for a street fight as you learn punches aswell as practical kicks, elbows and knees. You also learn how to take hits aswell which is handy. Ive been doing it for some months now and its great for fitness and general confidence.

Thai boxing would beat any of the styles you mentioned in a mixed martial art tournament. Trust me its by far the best one for people who are not too serious in taking it to circuit level but for self defence.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chats)
so if you lived in Manchester, they would go down??
Exactly!
gaming_goddess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The only 3ll+ form of Martial Arts is : Taekwondo

I studed it for just over two years and I could cause some real damage if anyone attacked me. The best move is the self defence for:

a.) if someone strangles you

b.) if you get caught in a head lock.

and there only basics. there are some great knife defence moves and one move I remeber watching a red belt do is where someone goes to punch you and eventually they end up on the floor so that you can jump on thier head - sweet. I would say that the closest thing to this is kick boxing (3/4 of Taekwondo moves are kicks) 'cept you don't bruise you legs up like you would doing Taekwondo. It's the Koren equiverlant to Karate and yet still a rather young style.
Dyakson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My preferred martial arts style is Big Knife.
superkillball
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Taichi
fuglyduckling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I cannot believe that Newcastle are favourites to win on this poll. Chelsea have a better defence and a better attack! Can Newcastle really contain Lampard, Duff, Robben, Kezman (if he plays) etc? No chance! I predict a score of 2:0 Chelsea.

I bet Chelsea play a reserve team, though. If so, things could be different. We will only win 1:0
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I like your sig
I didn't even know anything about "bouncebackability" until some people made a banner and held it up at the game. Apparantly a photo of this featured in several press articles and media reports and it subsequently got linked to soccer am. Both Tim Lovejoy and Helen Chamberlin apparantly love Rugby League.

Hull F.C. fans have also been seen bearing a banner "Northern boys love gravy".
SJ No.18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gaming_goddess)
The only 3ll+ form of Martial Arts is : Taekwondo

I studed it for just over two years and I could cause some real damage if anyone attacked me. The best move is the self defence for:

a.) if someone strangles you

b.) if you get caught in a head lock.

and there only basics. there are some great knife defence moves and one move I remeber watching a red belt do is where someone goes to punch you and eventually they end up on the floor so that you can jump on thier head - sweet. I would say that the closest thing to this is kick boxing (3/4 of Taekwondo moves are kicks) 'cept you don't bruise you legs up like you would doing Taekwondo. It's the Koren equiverlant to Karate and yet still a rather young style.
Are you kidding me TKD is a useless martial art for a street fight. its like 70%flashy kicks as you said which any street fighter would counter by moving up close to prevent kicks. The punches are crap aswell. On the mixed martial arts circuit TKD guys never win as their is no variation and it is not pratical.
If you want to learn a self defense martial art for pratical situations dont learn TKD its useless.
I would advise Thai kickboxing or boxing or any martial art which emphasises close up fighting( how many fights dou you stand a metre away from each other randomly kicking :confused: ). Also a grappling art like jitsu is good also which again is pratical.
s43
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
Krav Maga - it's the best motherfcukers!
LOL How old r ya? ur always says *******
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And Robinson it is, fantastic pick!

May the coach see the light and have him there always.
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SJ No.18)

My friend who sits next to me in physics does that and likes it. Maybe I could do both. The striking of Thai boxing with the throws of aikido?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Chelsea have the best defence in the league, and two of those goals conceded were a bit fluky
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Everdawn seems rather interested in other teams than her own

It is a good pick. You need a captain, in field sports, to be with others. What I mean by that is say in football you have a captain from either midfield or defence. Not striker etc.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why is being interested a bad thing NDGAARONDI?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
Why is being interested a bad thing NDGAARONDI?
I never said it was

It's just I'm sure plenty of England followers in rugby union will not bother reading about the Scottish team, for example
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed