The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7860
john williams
Yep and could i also mention that Pakistan were thrashed by India earlier this year in their own backyard and have a 100% record against them in the World Cup...and you seem to have forgotten that India are generally regarded as the second best team after Australia (it was proved today) in the world. Australia see it as their BIGGEST challenge to go to india and win, whereas they wouldn't even think twice about playing against Pakistan. I could go on all night...

India people may regard India as the second best team in the world. Non biased cricket fans class England as the second best team in the world going on the world rankings.

Playing India is a challenge for the Aussies as India make a pitch that favours their team so much; hence why they cannot seem to win out of India as much.
Australia--Matthew Hayden
England--Freddie Flintoff
India--Sachin Tendulkar
New Zealand--Stephen Fleming
Pakistan--None of dem
South Africa--Herschelle Gibbs
Sri Lanka--Sanath Jayasuria
West Indies--Ramnaresh Sarwan
Zimbabwe--Tetenda Taibu
Alex H: surely a pitch is a pitch...both sides play on the same pitch. Yes India have the best spinners so do well on the pitches but if you are the best team in the world, you will win whatever surface you are playing on. Your point about the England being the best team in the world based on 'rankings' is argued on another thread (if you search for it), that how the rankings in cricket do not show who is currently the better team. As im sure most non-biased cricket fans will also agree that India are better then England!!!
Reply 7863
You britishers are lucky to have organized sports in your school.... i had to practically fight with the school authorities during my IGCSE's and AS to enter some sports competition.

Anyway i play:

Football: Very attacking player , play on the left hand hand side even though my stronger foot is my right ... my strength is my vision and passing .. finishing is alright too.

Cricket:
Very good batsmen ... captained my collage side ... decent feilder also.

Table tennis:
Had a natural knack for this game ... though preferred to play team sports over it.

Tennis:
Very ordinary player .. though playing it helped me in cricket ... could hit the ball on the on-side with more power.
Australia : Brett Lee

New Zealand : Chris Cairns
PaKistan : Shoaib Akhtar
india : vvs laxman
England: Flintoff
Bangladesh : M Rafique
The game against the All Blacks in Melbourne in this year's try-nations series when in the rain Stirling Mortlock has gone through to put one under the sticks and as hes dived down over the line, he's slid and becuase it was so wet the water just parted as he went over it. It was pure class. Reminiscent of Ben Tune.
PaX
You britishers are lucky to have organized sports in your school.... i had to practically fight with the school authorities during my IGCSE's and AS to enter some sports competition.

Anyway i play:

Football: Very attacking player , play on the left hand hand side even though my stronger foot is my right ... my strength is my vision and passing .. finishing is alright too.

Cricket:
Very good batsmen ... captained my collage side ... decent feilder also.

Table tennis:
Had a natural knack for this game ... though preferred to play team sports over it.

Tennis:
Very ordinary player .. though playing it helped me in cricket ... could hit the ball on the on-side with more power.

Where do you live then, out of curiosity? Just that Cricket isn't really played all that much in the US and Can, so if you're not from the UK, I mean there's Australia, but apart from that, I'm not sure where you could be from.

If you're from Aussie-land which part? :tongue: :smile:
Reply 7867
Im thinking of getting disc brakes for my bike and came across a deal with wheels included and everything else you need. Here it is...

*Full 2005 XT disc brake kit
*Pair 756 XT hydraulic levers (can be used with any gear shift levers)
*Front & rear 760 XT calipers ready to fit international standard or Manitou post mounts.
*Front and rear cuttable hoses with all fixings
*Shimano mineral oil.
*160mm splined XT rotors
*XT disc hubs built into Mavic XC717 disc rims
*Fully boxed kit

Price: £249.00

Good deal/Bad deal?

Thanks
Reply 7868
Go for a second hand kit
Reply 7869
Pakistan: = Brazil (in world cup)
India : All are boring and useless like Greece in Euro 2004
Reply 7870
John Williams your personal cricket rankings dont count mate, in the real ICC rankings India are 6th, AFTER PAKISTAN :smile:
Alkaeda (what a stupid name) i wasnt giving any personal rankings, just what people who know stuff about cricket say. Also if u wana make comparisons between Greece in euro 2004 and India...well Greece won it..so fine!
5 in seven games now,he scored as a sub for ronaldo,beat a playwer then left foot shot in bottom corner
Reply 7873
heh im not into buying second hand stuff, normaly dont work lol plus you dont get a gurantee.
Reply 7874
john williams
Alex H: surely a pitch is a pitch...both sides play on the same pitch. Yes India have the best spinners so do well on the pitches but if you are the best team in the world, you will win whatever surface you are playing on. Your point about the England being the best team in the world based on 'rankings' is argued on another thread (if you search for it), that how the rankings in cricket do not show who is currently the better team. As im sure most non-biased cricket fans will also agree that India are better then England!!!

The thing about the world rankings is they take into account all games played in different countries. Inida win a fair few on their own patch but few away which is why they are low. In referance to the point I made it wasn't that England where the best team in the world but the SECOND best.

I'm sure 99% of non-biased fans (obviously not you) would say the team "higher in the table" are better which in this case is England!
Alex H: Sure you can keep on argueing about how England must be the second best based on the ICC tables. But it just boils down to the fact that the ranking dont show who really is the better team, which is what i was saying. If you ask 'well why not?'...i'll find you the link.
Reply 7876
john williams
Alex H: Sure you can keep on argueing about how England must be the second best based on the ICC tables. But it just boils down to the fact that the ranking dont show who really is the better team, which is what i was saying. If you ask 'well why not?'...i'll find you the link.

"John"

England have not lost a test match in quite a long time. You may say they've played weak opposition but winning 11 out of their last 12 tests is impressive. New Zealand incidently are no mugs.

I'm not sure why you don't think the ICC tables make sense. They were recently changed as they used to be crap (remember SA where higher than Aus) but they are now a much more accurate reflection. You get more points for beating top teams and next to nothing for disposing of the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

As they say mate: "the table doesn't lie" 1. Australia and bottom 2 are Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Looks a fairly good reflection to me.

Sour India fan are we? Can't cope with your underperforming team in the last 12 months????? awwwwwwwww.......
Reply 7877
alkaeda
Pakistan: = Brazil (in world cup)
India : All are boring and useless like Greece in Euro 2004

or how about:

Australia = Brazil (in world cup)

India: got to the final, by playing exciting cricket. Tendulkar didn't win player of the tournament for nothing you dunce. Surely you remember his 98 v Pakistan?

Pakistan: worse than boring and useless, inzamam barely got into double figures in the whole tournament.
Spot the mistake, rep for first correct answer
-----------------------------

Extract from report on Scotland Vs Australia Rugby Union

Scots wake up too late to make a match
By Steve James at Murrayfield
(Filed: 07/11/2004)

Match details

Scotland 14 Australia 31

In pictures: international rugby action

For forty minutes this was the ritualistic slaughter we all expected. We all know that Scottish rugby is in the doldrums and that they have not beaten Australia since 1982, so to expect them to triumph with a side shorn of the heart of their side, either through injury or unavailability because the English clubs (quite rightly) would not release their players, was just plain madness. At 0-28 at half time we were all nodding sagely and saying "This is embarrassing".

Sterling work: Stirling Mortlock scores the opening try for Australia at Murrayfield

But Scotland stirred and put up a spirited performance, winning the second period 14-3, and making this match, hastily arranged purely as a money making exercise (forget the tosh about the opening of the Scottish Parliament building) and not recognised by the IRB, at least worthwhile.

At the end the Australians knew they had been in a game. We shall never know whether mentally, in cricketing parlance, they had declared at half time but it did not appear so.

They were superb in the first period, with Stephen Larkham calling the shots, Stirling Mortlock all menace and flanker George Smith absolutely everywhere. But Scotland improved, keeping hold of the ball instead of wantonly spilling it, and Australia looked slightly fallible. England take note.

In that absorbing first half the damp and drizzly conditions looked for the very, very briefest of time as if they might cause the Australians problems, as a couple of elementary handling errors put them under some early pressure in their own half. Indeed Scotland should have taken the lead in the fifth minute when John Roe's indiscretion at the ruck handed Chris Paterson the simplest of penalties.

Inexplicably he missed and Scotland never came close again in the first half. This roused Australia and they really began to turn on the gas, not allowing the Scots a sniff.

Their scoring began after 13 minutes with a wonderfully worked try from man of the match Mortlock; fly half Larkham drifting dreamily across field to allow blind side wing Clyde Rathbone to cut a clever angle on his inside shoulder and split Dan Parks and Chris Cusiter. Rathbone's searing break granted Mortlock a simple run in under the posts and the conversion from Matt Giteau was a formality. 0-7 it was and Australia began to weave those intricate patterns, with pop passes and decoy runners everywhere, which so mesmerise opposition defences.

A second try on 19 minutes was then no surprise, as Jeremy Paul's initial incursion off Smith created space out wide on the right for Chris Latham to feed Rathbone.

The former South African U21 winger soon collected a second on the half hour after slick work in midfield from Larkham and Smith. And when minutes later Lote Tuqiri crossed on the right from George Gregan's overhead pass for Giteau to convert yet again, it was 0-28 and might have been worse if Nathan Hines had not brilliantly held up Larkham over the line. The match as a contest was over. Or so we thought.

At this stage Scotland simply had no answer to the speed of the Australians, their passing out of contact and their overall skill levels. It really was men against boys.

There was even dark talk of record home defeat (it stands at 68-10 against South Africa in 1997) in the press box.

But Scotland made a couple of changes during the interval, John Petrie beefing up the pack and Hugo Southwell adding thrust from full back. And thankfully we were treated to much more of a competitive spectacle as those substitutions paid immediate dividend with a first try for Scotland for wing Sean Lamont, taking a short pass on the short side from Chris Cusiter.

Southwell, surprisingly omitted from the original line up after impressing during the summer Tests, then brought the crowd (only just over half full at 37,828) to its feet with a second score which required the evaluation of the television match official. But a try it was, despite Mortlock's despairing tackle, and Paterson rediscovered his kicking boots with two conversions to make it 14-28.

The Australians were sufficiently rattled to kick a penalty, which the Scottish fans booed heartily, to seal victory, but Scotland can take heart from the fact that it is the first time since 1996 that they have kept the margin of defeat to less than twenty points. That might not seem much to shout about but it could have been so much worse.

And just maybe the Aussies are holding something in reserve for sterner challenges ahead.

Match details

Scotland: Tries: Lamont, Southwell. Cons: Paterson 2.
Australia: Tries: Mortlock, Rathbone 2, Tuqiri. Cons: Giteau 4. Pens: Giteau.
Att: 41,234
They kept saying rugby and not used union after the word rugby?

Latest