Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
They kept saying rugby and not used union after the word rugby?
Nope, far more obvious then that!

My other pet hate is the tendancy of Rugby Union clubs to exaggerate attendance figures. Notice that Leciester Tigers always declare a gate of 16,815?

I have been down there for games and seen rows of empty seats alongside terrances that could obviously accomodate far more yet upon seeing the newspaper the next day the gate is given as 16,815.

Perhaps that gives you a hint!
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Two different attendance figures - one saying 37,000 and something and the other 41,000 and something?
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
Two different attendance figures - one saying 37,000 and something and the other 41,000 and something?
Rep awarded
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Rep awarded
LOL - thanks.

I actually got that before you posted that hint too!
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Got there before I did as well.

Poor attendance, we can get a packed Suncorp for Super 12.
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"Alex H"

Do you actually watch any cricket? If so you would know what top/talented players India have and as a team are much more exciting to watch then England. Have England ever beaten Australia (within the last 5/6 years)? Have they reached the world cup final/won the ICC championship? I dont think i can remember the last time England played that exciting/attacking in a one day match. Comparing the players: Tendulkar v Vaughn (tendulkar), Dravid v Thorpe (Dravid), Giles v Harbajan (Harbajan), Shewag v Trescothick (Shewag), Butcher v Ganguly (Ganguly)...etc etc etc..
chandni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Australia:Generally I h8 them all but the fav is probably Brett Lee
India: Most of them except for a few exceptions
Pakistan: Inzamam (find him v amusing to watch)
Kenya: My dad's old buddy Steve Tikolo
SA: Makaya Nitini
NZ: Vetorri
England: Freddie and trescothik
Windies: Sarwan or lara
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
Got there before I did as well.

Poor attendance, we can get a packed Suncorp for Super 12.
LOL the inaugral Premiership final in the U.K. last year had three published attendances varying between 38,000 and 52,000.
Hash
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
"Alex H"

Do you actually watch any cricket? If so you would know what top/talented players India have and as a team are much more exciting to watch then England. Have England ever beaten Australia (within the last 5/6 years)? Have they reached the world cup final/won the ICC championship? I dont think i can remember the last time England played that exciting/attacking in a one day match. Comparing the players: Tendulkar v Vaughn (tendulkar), Dravid v Thorpe (Dravid), Giles v Harbajan (Harbajan), Shewag v Trescothick (Shewag), Butcher v Ganguly (Ganguly)...etc etc etc..
Although I agreee that India are probably better than England, England did actually beat Australia in the recent ICC Champions trophy
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Australia:Gilchrist
India: Dravid
Pakistan: Can't say...they're always changing their players
SA: Kallis
NZ: Fleming
England: Flintoff
West Indies: Sarwan
Sri Lanka: Haven't seen them play that much
Alex H
Report 14 years ago
England have the best allrounder and the best bowler in the world. I'd also much rather have Geriant Jones to Parthiv Patel.
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hash: Finally someone talks sense. Btw even though England did win, the number of times Australia have thrashed them over the last few years doesnt make up for it!

Alex H:Well Harmisson is 'currently' ranked 1st, but that doesnt mean he IS the best, im sure most people would say McGrath, Pollock, Gillespie (just fast bowlers) etc, are better.

And is that all you can come up with?? Geriant Jones, is just the wicket keeper and doesnt even add much to the team.
chandni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
India is still a relatively young team with ppl like parthiv, irfan, uv, kaif, harbhajan so look out 4 them.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
HEADLINE: THE PETER JACKSON COLUMN

BODY:
NOT SO LONG AGO, the entire England team would have risked immediate excommunication for fraternising with people like Jason Robinson.

Preposterous, of course, but the bigoted hard-liners so despised rugby league that they enforced their outrageous anti-professionalism laws with a Stalinist zeal.

Worse still, they did so when it suited them and turned a blind eye when it didn't.

None of the four home unions had a monopoly on enforcing the draconian rules of amateurism in a way which perpetuated the historic class divide between the codes.

They were as bad as each other in peddling the propaganda about the bogeymen of rugby league, something which they clung to for so long that it actually outlived the Iron Curtain, the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union.

Nine years after union belatedly made an honest game of itself by declaring it open, England have been only too pleased to strengthen the league connection without which they would almost certainly not have won the World Cup.

As well as a new captain from rugby league in Robinson, they have a new play-maker from the 'other side', Henry Paul.

They also have from league a relatively new 'offense' coach, as the Americans would call Joe Lydon, and a long-established defence coach in Phil Larder.

One probable side-effect of their combined presence under the Red Rose banner is that cemetery departments across

the home counties will be working overtime after a weekend of spinning graves.

The long-gone custodians of amateurism had every right to stand by their principle of rugby union as a recreational sport played for nothing but the pure love of the game. What they had no right to do was treat their league counterparts as second-class citizens, especially those of their own kind for daring to exercise their democratic right and play as a professional.

Nobody knows that better than David Watkins, the first rugby player to go to Australasia as a Lion in union and in league. 'Second-class citizens is exactly how they made us feel,' he said. 'What they practised was a sort of apartheid.'

The ingrained class thing began even before the 22 clubs split from the RFU to form the Northern Football Union in protest at the governing body's refusal to approve broken-time payment to compensate players for missing a shift at the factory of a coal mine at a time when everyone worked until Saturday lunchtime.

The condescending attitude of the Establishment is reflected in the RFU's centenary history, published in 1971. It reports that some northern delegates failed to turn up on time for an emergency meeting at a Westminster hotel and lost the vote which preceded the Great Schism of 1895.

A footnote adds: 'The northerners came down in two special trains but some of them got lost in the metropolis, as country bumpkins used to do, even in those days.'

With the season of goodwill approaching, it would be nice to think that someone, somewhere might apologise for just a few of the injustices done to league and to those union turncoats who committed the heinous crime of joining their ranks.

It will never happen but a scribbled note of regret to a few notable victims for the embarrassment they were caused would not go amiss.

George Parsons, kicked off the train taking the Wales team to France on suspicion of having been approached by a league club and then made to wait 34 years for his international cap, deserves one apology. Lydon, ordered out of the clubhouse of a famous Lancashire club by some blazered buffoon because he played for Wigan rugby league club, another.

Ronnie Cowan's experience was even more absurd. A Scotland three-quarter in the early 1960s, he returned home after a spell in league with Leeds to coach the locals union lads at Selkirk. Because he was not allowed to set foot on the pitch, he did it from behind a hedge parallel to the touchline.

Other examples, involving ex-union internationals from Lewis Jones in the 1950s to Jonathan Davies in the '90s, tell of similar treatment.

Yet anyone could spend an entire career as a professional in other sports, switch to rugby and be welcomed with open arms, as Dave Gaskell was when he became a flanker at Wrexham after years of keeping goal for Manchester United.

But woe betide any union player who even spoke to a rugby league scout. JJ Williams, the celebrated Welsh wing, went one better than that, openly admitting in this newspaper that he had been offered a world record fee of GBP 16,000 by Widnes within weeks of returning from the invincible Lions tour of South Africa 30 years ago.

He did so despite being advised that he would be 'professionalising' himself in the process. Widnes chairman Vince Karalius wrote the cheque in the kitchen of Williams' house in Maesteg but the player turned it down before his Llanelli club's home derby against Swansea that Saturday.

Williams said: 'The secretary, Ken Jones, called me into the office before the match and said: "You can't play. You have profession-alised yourself". I said I'd refused the offer but he said: "Ah, but you considered it".

'I said: "Look if someone offered you a sum of money which was three times more than your house was worth, are you not going to consider it? Come off it. I'd have been mad not to".

'I was left out, they didn't pursue it and I carried on as normal. It was all fairly hypocritical.'

Lesser players, by contrast, had the book thrown at them, like the last victim of the amateur era, Wasps full back Steve Pilgrim, banned for 12 months in 1993 because he was caught having a trial at Leeds Rugby League listed in the programme as the ubiquitous Mr A N Other.

You couldn't make it up.
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
who will win? all we know is that itll be a close hard fought game...

"Pakistan could drop from fourth to sixth place in the ICC's ODI Championship if they lose to India at Eden Gardens on Saturday. If they are defeated, West Indies and England would move ahead of them in the table.

New Zealand's recent 3-0 drubbing of Bangladesh in the ODI series confirmed their third-place status behind Australia and Sri Lanka. But New Zealand could move up to second if they manage to win two of their three one-day internationals against Australia, which commence at the beginning of December.

In the ICC Test Championship, meanwhile, Australia's conquering of the so-called "final frontier" of India moved them 19 points clear of second-placed England, while stifling India's own chances of moving up from 105 points in the process. Like India, Pakistan have 105 points after victory in the second Test at Karachi helped to hold Sri Lanka to 1-1 in the series. But if the ratings are calculated to three decimal places, Pakistan just have the edge. "
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
India of course! pakistan/Inzamam have already started making excuses that they dont care if they loose, cos they know they stand no chance of winning as its in India. Also i didnt think it effected the rankings, as it was a match to mark the 75th anniversary of the BCCI.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3745533.stm
Saagar
Report 14 years ago
Get a grip Pakistan can't win, they just don't have the team, India beat them in both the Test and ODI series in Pakistan. No hard feelings though!
Vixen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
I reckon Southampton are dead certs (I honestly do).
Noooooooooo *cries and cries and cries* I think saying they are dead certs is a bit hasty. I reckon it'll pick up especially if they get rid of wiggley asap. I would even welcome hoddle back as manager at the moment. Its depressing but I think we'll be in the premiership this time next year. Anyway hampshire derby tomorrow.....wooooo! Time for pompey to get that battering
Munna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know Pakistan will try their best and it will be a close match. But india might win because they would have made the pitch which will favour them. Plus its the 75th anniversary of BCCI so it might be a decided match.
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
India will win - it's a no brainer.

And by the way "munna", India don't match fix. I believe that was some Pakistani fans' lame excuse when India beat earlier this year
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads