Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hazza_CPFC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
I completely disagree. Man U have more quality players, and more strength in depth than Arsenal, and do not have arsenal's reliance on a couple of key players (Campbell, Viera and Henry).
They also have two quality goalkeepers (two more than arsenal ).
Man Utd rely heavily on Van Nistelrooy to score their goals - this season in the league he hasn't been and look at where they are. Also, without Ferdinand their defence falls to pieces as well. Maybe Rooney will change things for them, but I have a feeling they may come to rely on him too much.

Man Utd on paper may have better players, but Arsenal's team play is far far superior. Keane spends so much time having a go at the commitment of his own team these days I'd be surprised if he's got time to poke his Haaland voodoo doll.

As for strength in depth, Arsenal's youngsters walloped Everton and would probably give a hiding to every other team outside the top 6. If I was Wenger I'd be playing them in the league rather than sulky Henry and co.

True, Arsenal don't have a top class keeper, but I don't rate Roy Carroll or Tim Howard (though he is good) as top class either... the only team to have a really good keeper at the moment is Chelsea and they've got two :rolleyes:
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hazza_CPFC)
Man Utd rely heavily on Van Nistelrooy to score their goals - this season in the league he hasn't been and look at where they are. Also, without Ferdinand their defence falls to pieces as well. Maybe Rooney will change things for them, but I have a feeling they may come to rely on him too much.

Man Utd on paper may have better players, but Arsenal's team play is far far superior. Keane spends so much time having a go at the commitment of his own team these days I'd be surprised if he's got time to poke his Haaland voodoo doll.

As for strength in depth, Arsenal's youngsters walloped Everton and would probably give a hiding to every other team outside the top 6. If I was Wenger I'd be playing them in the league rather than sulky Henry and co.

True, Arsenal don't have a top class keeper, but I don't rate Roy Carroll or Tim Howard (though he is good) as top class either... the only team to have a really good keeper at the moment is Chelsea and they've got two :rolleyes:
Man U have 4 quality forwards, Nistelrooy, Rooney, Smith and Saha, and do not need to rely on a single striker.

A fair sum of arsenals performance over last season particularly, has been due to the awful bias towards them by referees. I do admit that last season they were the best team in the league, but not to the extent that the referees made them.

When i talk about strength in depth, i don't only refer to the youth sides (although Man U have a great one of these, with plenty of players who would be good enough is most premiership squads). I also talk of the squad players, which Man U has in far greater quality than Arsenal.
I mean, any side that has to play Cygan in defence seriously needs to invest in new players!

I agree that Neither Howard or Carroll are as of yet top class keepers, but they are both well on their way, while Lehmenn would be unlikely to get into the first team of any of at least the top half of the premiership sides.
teamvillage
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mockel)
Strange to see Villa in there, but I guess they've been very consistent this year.
Don't see why it's that strange, if you remember last Christmas they were 18th, before finishing 6th in May, and currently lying 5th.
Irish Dougal
Report 14 years ago
Connacht
Irish Dougal
Report 14 years ago
Any one have a listen?
Hazza_CPFC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Man U have 4 quality forwards, Nistelrooy, Rooney, Smith and Saha, and do not need to rely on a single striker.

A fair sum of arsenals performance over last season particularly, has been due to the awful bias towards them by referees. I do admit that last season they were the best team in the league, but not to the extent that the referees made them.

When i talk about strength in depth, i don't only refer to the youth sides (although Man U have a great one of these, with plenty of players who would be good enough is most premiership squads). I also talk of the squad players, which Man U has in far greater quality than Arsenal.
I mean, any side that has to play Cygan in defence seriously needs to invest in new players!

I agree that Neither Howard or Carroll are as of yet top class keepers, but they are both well on their way, while Lehmenn would be unlikely to get into the first team of any of at least the top half of the premiership sides.
Yes, Man Utd have four good strikers, but the fact is that they aren't scoring. Saha has scored barely once in the last few months, Smith started well but has tapered off, Van Nistelrooy isn't scoring in the league and Rooney has only just arrived. They badly need Van Nistelrooy to start scoring again.

As for strength in depth, Man Utd have bought badly and have no real replacement for Keane, Scholes or Giggs. Djemba Djemba and Kleberson just do not cut it and Richardson, Stewart etc. aren't nearly ready yet. They should never have sold Nicky Butt, and he was hardly world class anyway (one good World Cup doesn't make a player).

Arsenal do have weaknesses in defence - as I said in my first post - but Man Utd were leaking goals badly until Ferdinand came back from his ban. Both sides need at least one quality centre half. Once again, Chelsea are way out in front with the best defence in the league and top class cover for every position - save up front, and they can go buy anyone they like in January.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
Topical :cool:
Specialheffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hazza_CPFC)
Yes, Man Utd have four good strikers, but the fact is that they aren't scoring. Saha has scored barely once in the last few months, Smith started well but has tapered off, Van Nistelrooy isn't scoring in the league and Rooney has only just arrived. They badly need Van Nistelrooy to start scoring again.

As for strength in depth, Man Utd have bought badly and have no real replacement for Keane, Scholes or Giggs. Djemba Djemba and Kleberson just do not cut it and Richardson, Stewart etc. aren't nearly ready yet. They should never have sold Nicky Butt, and he was hardly world class anyway (one good World Cup doesn't make a player).

Arsenal do have weaknesses in defence - as I said in my first post - but Man Utd were leaking goals badly until Ferdinand came back from his ban. Both sides need at least one quality centre half. Once again, Chelsea are way out in front with the best defence in the league and top class cover for every position - save up front, and they can go buy anyone they like in January.
Well both ARSE and manu suffer from the same problem - the central defender. If campbell is not there - they are terrible, no confidence what so ever. Both Wenger and Fergie are bringing up the youth, Fergie has invested in youth and the true potential of his signings will emerge e.g. Rossi, Dong Zhou, Pique

Butt may have had one good world cup but to be honest, i've watched the French and neither Henry, Viera, Pires deliver. A quality player does not sulk if he does not have much of the ball, he works for posession, shame Henry (such a great player he his <cough>) does not do that. Viera IMO is the pin for Arsenal and if they lost him and Campbell - good bye ARSE.

I would love Manu to win prem again, but unless our performances continue and be consistent we will have little chance. Out of Chelski and ARSE, i think Chelski will do it this year. AND ARSE have not even qualified for Europe - quality team? - not until they show it. ManU have been in the Quarter Finals until last season since 1995!!!!

ARSE have quality, but referees are now swayed at highbury - just like it used to be at OT. Every game has a dodgy decision in favour, and with all the quality of the team do they really need to dive (and yes i know some manu players do, but not with the consistency and flair (lol) as le ARSE.

Enough Arsenal bating lol... even though i would rather see Chelski win the prem than arsenal and don't like the methods of literally buying the team. What's it going to be a new manager every season until they win the CL?

I AM AGAINST THE GLAZER TAKEOVER TOO!
m:)ckel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by teamvillage)
Don't see why it's that strange, if you remember last Christmas they were 18th, before finishing 6th in May, and currently lying 5th.
Looking at their league positions, it's not strange- I just never 'noticed' them, if you know what I mean.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mockel)
Obviously, if Mourinho had been with Chelsea since January, as much as I hate to say it, then they would have been top by a little way, imo.
There have been statistics revealed which showed that perhaps Ranieri was better!
m:)ckel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
There have been statistics revealed which showed that perhaps Ranieri was better!
I don't believe in such statistics! :eek:
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nice table, but it's really very incorrect.
irishgirl
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Irish Dougal)
Connacht
thats interesting, what do you think about the opinion that connaught rugby as a whole has gone down hill in the last few years, and that the irish selectors are refusing to take players from connaught seriously?
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Stornoway RFC.
frank4king
Report 14 years ago
Leeds Rhinos
frank4king
Report 14 years ago
I've got my tickets, can't wait!
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In the Premier League which is the one below the Super 12 I follow in AUS... The Red Heavies (QLD University) Then the Queensland Reds and the Australian Capital Territory Brumbies and the Wallabies.

In the Zurich Prem. I followed the Quins becuase Matty Henjak played a few games there before he was called up to the Wallaby squad.

In South Africa I follow Natal Province.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
Does Burger(south africa) play number 6 as well as 7?
Schakie prefers to play at Blindie. Hes a fantastic player, would be better if he could stop getting carded. A really nice guy as well.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
iu haven't, but i can't wait anyway... my prediction is lions 22 oz 16, carney in the last minute
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Think it will be a low scoring game. Something like 12-8.

We have been down this road many times before. I am just worried that when it comes to it the Aussies will turn on the style.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (95)
24.55%
No (292)
75.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed