Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A lot of people have said that he (Schalk Burger) will win the IRB player of the year award which will be announced tomorrow. Although, Matt Giteau as I understand it from my various sources apart from playing well and getting rave media reviews is finding favour with the people who count.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
BBC.CO.UK
-----------------

Lions coach Brian Noble will finalise his 17-man squad an hour before kick-off but is expected to recall Paul Sculthorpe and Jamie Peacock.

But scrum-half Sean Long could miss out after Danny McGuire and Iestyn Harris impressed at half-back in last week's win over New Zealand.

Australia are boosted by the return of skipper Darren Lockyer, who replaces Scott Hill at stand-off.

Second rower Andrew Ryan replaces Craig Fitzgibbon in the starting line-up.

The Kangaroos have dominated the international game for the last 30 years but Lions skipper Andrew Farrell believes his side can end their reign.

"Confidence is sky high at the moment and the general feeling in the camp is that we're ready to go, we're ready to perform," he said.

I definitely don't think we've peaked yet

Andy Farrell

"We've done very well to win three games on the bounce - that's not been done for 10 years - but there is no getting away from the fact that we're here to win the final.

"We've put ourselves in with a good chance of being able to do that and I suppose we'll be judged on the final."

The Kangaroos remain favourites to maintain their stranglehold but Farrell's men overcame a crucial psychological barrier by beating the world champions a fortnight ago.

"I definitely don't think we've peaked yet," said Farrell. "That's not to say we'll peak at the final. Nobody knows what will happen.

"We don't know how Australia are going to perform. They're going to be right up there, that's for definite."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great Britain (from): P Wellens (St Helens), B Carney (Wigan), P Johnson (Bradford), S Reardon (Bradford), K Senior (Leeds), M Gleeson (Warrington), I Harris (Bradford), D McGuire (Leeds), S Long (St Helens), M Higham (St Helens), T Newton (Wigan), R Bailey (Leeds), A Morley (Sydney City), S Fielden (Bradford), A Farrell (Wigan, capt), G Ellis (Wakefield), J Peacock (Bradford), S O'Loughlin (Wigan), P Sculthorpe (St Helens).

Australia: A Minichiello (Sydney Roosters); L Rooney (Penrith), S Berrigan, (Brisbane), W Tonga (Canterbury), M Sing (North Queensland); D Lockyer, (Brisbane, capt), B Kimmorley (Cronulla); S Webcke (Brisbane), D Buderus, (Newcastle), P Civoniceva (Brisbane), N Hindmarsh (Parramatta), A Ryan, (Canterbury), T Carroll (Brisbane). Replacements: M O'Meley (Canterbury), C Fitzgibbon (Sydney Roosters), W Mason (Canterbury), C Wing (Sydney Roosters).
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ouch. this is hurting. much... 44-4 and 20 mins left. on a better note, oz haven't scored in 20 minutes....
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i was disgusted sitting watching it.

i dont really follow RL that much, but even i could spot the professionalism of aus compared to schoolboy standard GB.

i'll stick to union i think.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
i'll stick to union i think.
I'm thinking a lot of people will think this.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I'm thinking a lot of people will think this.
it was hyped up a lot...and i think a lot of first time watchers will have went away thinking "wtf GB"
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am not going to try and defend this performance, I trust that those of you who watched this tosh are educated enough to form your own opinions.

BTW the Aussies were great. Probably the best performance by any team I have seen recently!
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow Mark, Id say your boys got done big time.

if you dont know what I am on about...

Quoting yourself...
"go to a search engine and type in "your boys took one hell of a beating" and you will see"

Im sorry. I dont even care about the game. Carry on, you wont get any gloating from me on this subject. Im saving my bragging rights for the union thread. Tra-la.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
"your boys took one hell of a beating"
sounds like dodgy norwegian to me
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah, its just what he said to me when they beat us. I was being Ironic.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just for those of you who may not be aware.

Australia has snatched a 21-19 win over England after clawing its way back into a Test it looked to have thrown away.

Australia led 15-0 two minutes into the second half but was 19-15 down with 13 minutes left after fierce England forward pressure turned the match around.

Matt Giteau kicked a penalty goal in the 67th minute to edge Australia to within a point and then nervelessly landed the match winner five minutes later from 40 metres out to seal Australia's first win at Twickenham since 1998.

Giteau kicked three penalties and set up Australia's two tries to Jeremy Paul and Chris Latham, while England scored three second half tries but were let down by the boot, with third choice kicker Mike Tindall's two conversions its only goals.

After Giteau extended Australia's 12-0 halftime lead to 15-0 two minutes into the second half, England's forwards shook the match up.

After Charlie Hodgson missed two simple penalty attempts in the first half, England twice opted for the lineouts close to the Australian line rather than the shot at goal and was rewarded when flanker Lewis Moody finally scored from a powerful forward drive.

Andy Gomarsall took over the kicking duties and missed the easy conversion to keep Australia's lead at 15-5 but the English still applied relentless pressure.

England's forwards were well on top of the Wallabies pack who were camped in their own quarter, going nowhere but backwards. Again a powerful drive led to the second try when Josh Lewsey took the ball from the side of a maul and dashed over the line.

Tindall kicked the conversion to make it 15-12 and England was on a massive role, which looked to be match winning when winger Mark Cueto was at the end of sweeping backline move to score England's third try and give the home team a 19-15 lead.

But the Australians did not give in and worked the ball into England's territory for the first time in the second half and English mistakes gave them the penalties needed to retain the Cook Cup.

Australia deservedly led 12-0 at half time following wonderfully worked tries to Paul and Latham.

Rock-solid Australian defence shook England and created several turnovers in a frenetic first half, with Lote Tuqiri's tackle on Mike Tindall handing possession back to the Wallabies to allow Giteau to pounce in the 15th minute.

He ran around England flanker Joe Worsley with a deft change of pace and then went through his desperate tackle, passing a neat inside ball to Paul who stepped winger Josh Lewsey to dive over and give Australia a 7-0 lead following Elton Flatley's conversion.

Giteau stepped into five-eighth when Flatley came off with an inured knee in the 23rd minute and had a decisive hand in Latham's try five minutes later.

Morgan Turinui took the ball forward on England's quarter after Daniel Vickerman won the lineout and the maligned Australian pack drove powerfully to give George Gregan clean ball which he sent to Giteau who dummied inside and gave it outside to fullback Latham.

Latham went through Lewsey's tackle and then used brute strength to carry Tindall five metres with him and stretched out for Australia's second try and a 12-0 lead.

Klarse.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, I saw most of it, it was a good game :cool: Wasn't even played on their home turf, which I was impressed with.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
of course not people are very loyal to the county in which they were born.
Well at least you should be, you live in a nice country roxy potter My BF wants to live there too, that, or Tassie I think Tassie is closer, LOL!, so when we finish uni in a couple years we might move there :rolleyes: But yeah, I think your country got voted one of the most live-able countries of year or something, so there you go

Do you get Ultimate Frisbee up there, roxy? I know heaps of people who play it here, and this summer I wanna play too - or at least try Try it out :cool:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Could have gone either way. Why did England have to concede a penalty so late on in the game is beyond me. It was a good game to watch.
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yay they lost
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
it was hyped up a lot...and i think a lot of first time watchers will have went away thinking "wtf GB"
I'm afraid so. This will do nothing but hinder the popularity of rugby league.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
i dont see anything special about kilkenny or cork, well i know they have done well lately but they aren't super special.
Well I thought Kilkenny had a great record but this was years ago.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
australia were the most consistent team and took their chances when they came.

england had a good spell in the second half when they outclassed australia but were no where in the first half and couldnt kick a goal at all.
python05
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Performances like this set the game back years. As someone else said the casual sports fan will tune in and be like WTF GB?

Didn't help by the fact that Andy Farrell was awarded world player of the year and Brian Noble world coach of the year. I agree with neither.

Both major domestic competitions are exciting (Superleague and Australian NRL) but internationally the game isn't up to much.

The problem is that 10 years ago we spent £££ of Sky T.V. money on over the hill Aussies instead of investing in emerging talent.

Both GB and France (yes France) used to have awesome teams but it's all gone to pot. Despite this money is starting to find it's way through to the grass roots and maybe, just maybe in 5-10 years time we might have a side capable of challenging the Aussies on a regular basis.

The introduction of Perpingan into the U.K. game in 2006 will help the French game no end. Believe it or not Rugby League was once the dominant code in France until the Vichy regime where most of their assests were seized and given to R.U.

Many French sides still meet brick walls when trying to use municipal facicities such as stadia and training grounds often blocked believe it or not by Union clubs or officials that support R.U. Books have been writeen on the subject :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed