Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would like to see some of the goals.

Rekon fixing is common place with teams from eastern europe involved.

Most players are part time and earn next to nothing. If that game wasn't fixed then i'll be expecting Santa Claus down the chimney.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Henry up to now has been brilliant. So, biasedly I'd say Henry.
*lozza*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Would anyone consider cheerleading as a sport....at all? LOL! I'm a competitive cheerleader and i find it quite demanding. Theres gymnastics....stunting (bring it on)....dancing etc... hmmm :confused:
Natalie Lane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *lozza*)
Would anyone consider cheerleading as a sport....at all? LOL! I'm a competitive cheerleader and i find it quite demanding. Theres gymnastics....stunting (bring it on)....dancing etc... hmmm :confused:
Fun- sure
demanding-probably
sports-not really (sorry...)
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Okay, so Sky Sports News and the Sun are adament Alex Ferguson is going to bid for Downing in January, as Giggs is off to Newcastle for £4M (apparently).

This isn't a Downing love-in(unusually for me), or a big whinge that we might get our best prospect in years nicked off us, but a general question - do big clubs have too much power and influence over the careers of young players? The Scott Parker debacle was the last time this debate arose and look what happened there - he hasn't had a sniff of first team action under Jose Mourinho. The Rooney situation was slightly different as he was the best talent in the world at the time, but they still forced Everton's hand - luckily, it seems to have worked in everybody's favour (for now).

Should big clubs just be able to bid vast amounts of money to teams they know will have to accept them (because of the financial climate) and then bribe the player with dreams of fame and fortune?

1) Is it good for the club they're buying from
2) Is it in the best interests of the player (think Parker)
3) Is it in the best interests of English football (when it's an English player obviously)

Back to Downing, I don't think he'll go anyway, because we're not a selling club, and we're probably the only team outside of the top 3 who could reject a £10M+ bid for one of it's players. Do you (as an unbiased observer) think he should go if a bid came in? He's a young lad, he's supported us and lived in Boro all his life and we're a club going places. In terms of English football, at this stage in his career, would the move be good or bad?

They'll be after McMahon next as a replacement for Gary Neville.....
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yup, I am interested in cheerleading .

Anyone else have an interest in this area?

Ok, a couple are not great but the rest are fine athletes .
Attached files
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh look, more fine athletes!
Attached files
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I really hope he doesnt go, however i am like you a little bias. I think that espically if you move to a club like chelsea it can put your career back abit as the chances are you are going to be playing reserve team football at some point for a long time. I know Geremi isnt english or rising star of the game however if you compare his form when he was playing for boro and now look at what he is doing I think its very hard to argue he is a better player. The same is true of Bolo but in reverse.

I also think that players should think abit more about their careers. Do they really want a large cheque and a place on the bench more than playing every week for a good premiership team and being completely idolised by thousands of fans. The players also have some responsibity to play back the club for the time the club spent training them. Lastly espically with english players and our media there is a tendancy to put too much pressure on players too early. I think that the Gazza and left sided midfield player tags are espically dangerous ones. The English media is constantly looking for the next gazza, a sparky midfield player who can beat people and is constantly creative and a english left sided midfielder. Hence when someone who might have the ability to do either of those things comes along, huge pressure is put on them to suceed.

In answer to your questions
1. The money can often be very useful, see Everton, however its a shame for the fans to see one of their stars go.

2. Not always. its obviously been good for Rooney but bad for parker so there is no straight answer. Depends on the player.

3. No
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Cheerleading is very tough! I don't do it but was meant to be in the squad this year. However at Southampton they practice 3/4 times a week which is too much for me to fit into my timetable! Its a mixture of dance and gymnastics which most people would find physically demanding.

I would consider it a sport.
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
cheerleaderrrzzzz!

Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Portsmouth FC have a great cheerleader by the name of John Westwood
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Back to Downing, I don't think he'll go anyway, because we're not a selling club, and we're probably the only team outside of the top 3 who could reject a £10M+ bid for one of it's players. Do you (as an unbiased observer) think he should go if a bid came in? He's a young lad, he's supported us and lived in Boro all his life and we're a club going places. In terms of English football, at this stage in his career, would the move be good or bad?
To answer this part of your question I would say no he should not leave Boro in the immediate future.

Reasons why? Well.. how old is he? 18? There is no need for him to leave yet, he hasn't established himself and as you said, Boro do not need to sell him. IMO he should (and probably will) stay for the next couple of years (at least) to see what Boro can offer him in terms of finishing high in the league as well as challenging in Europe (as much as I can't see this happening after this season).

I think it's only goes to show how much more influence 'big' teams such as Man Ure, Chelsea have over anybody else in the league. Yes, Everton could not have refused 30m for Rooney.. nobody could have.. OTHER than the 'big' clubs..

Another point I feel we could make here is the role certain football agents play in the current transfer situation. They exploit youngsters in order to line their own pockets, with complete disregard for the well-being of the football club that their client plays at..
Jack Schitt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
regarding Downing specifically- if he goes to manUtd it could be a good move for him, as as you say it would be a replacement for Giggs and he would probably get first team football regluarly. It's also the perception that playing for a big club is more liekly to improve your international career

I think big clubs do have too much power (eg chelsea with joe cole and parker) but what can you do?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Other one...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A handy link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/4072055.stm
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Um Cheerlead and kick ass baby! No,dont think so.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I really really really hope Chelsea win!!!!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The amount of commentators on Sky Sports predicting an Arsenal win (3 to 1), yet none of them went for a draw...
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Everton 1 - 0 Liverpool

Full Time result from Goodison Park.

Merry Christmas Everton
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anyone play at county level or represent their country in a sport here?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.41%
They might tell the bully (17)
10.9%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
17.95%
It might lead to more bullying (58)
37.18%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.56%

Watched Threads