The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
True, but you do need luck to be on your side to do well at these sort of competitions.
I think Portugal but not because they are my team or because they are at home. They lost their first game to Greece but they are not the same team they were three weeks ago. Portugal has made the necessary changes to win every game since the first one, where Greece won their first, tied their second and lost their third to a team that was already eliminated. I think Portugal deserves it.
Reply 842
Greece ripped up the form book by beating Euro 2004 favourites Czech Republic with a silver goal to face host nation Portugal in the final.

Traianos Dellas lost his marker at a corner to glance home the winning goal seconds from the end of the first period of extra-time.

The Czechs had their chances, with Tomas Rosicky striking the cross bar.

But the plucky Greeks worked tirelessly to deny the Czechs, with Dellas a giant at the heart of their defence.

The Czechs came flying out of the traps and almost took a spectacular lead after just two minutes when Jan Koller nodded on a free-kick and Rosicky dipped a thumping volley against the bar with keeper Antonis Nikopolidis a helpless spectator.

But the Greek keeper proved up to the task two minutes later when Marek Jankulovski roared forward and Nikopolidis stood firm at the near post to parry his piledriver for a corner.

Having ridden out the early storm, Greece grew in confidence and after Giorgos Karagounis was upended by Rene Bolf, the Greek playmaker picked himself to take the free-kick but the Czech wall did its job to take the sting out of his strike.

With at least a foot height advantage over his marker Michalis Kapsis, Koller's height was always going to be a threat and Nikopolidis was very cool as the giant striker's apparently harmless looping header bounced on top of the bar.

Takis Fyssas epitomised Greece's growing confidence as he supported the attack to tease in a tempting cross which Angelos Charisteas missed at the near post and Petr Cech palmed away at full stretch as Karagounis sniffed for scraps.

Nikopolidis came to Greece's rescue on 33 minutes, going full length to palm claw away Jankulovski's first time shot after Rosicky's low cross found its way through to him.

The Czechs suffered a blow as half-time approached when star man Pavel Nedved limped off to be replaced by Vladimir Smicer.

Despite the loss of their talisman, the Czechs turned the screw in the second half and Nikopolidis was relieved as he completely misjudged Karel Poborsky's corner and Koller's goal-bound header struck team-mate Milan Baros.

But back came Greece and Zisis Vryzas glanced his header from Angelos Basinas's free-kick straight into Cech's arms.

Jankulovsky wasted a good opportunity presented by Theodoros Zagorakis's foul on Baros, driving his free-kick into the two man wall from five yards in from the goal-line.

With 10 minutes left Koller took a cute return pass from Rosicky only to drag his shot wide from 10 yards out.

Baros then weaved his way inside but choked his shot after opening up the angle on the goal.

Cech came to his side's rescue as the game went into extra-time, sprinting from his goal to block a header from Stelios Giannakopoulos.

Dellas then had a chance to score what would have been the winning silver goal but placed his glancing header from Vassilis Tsiartas' free-kick too close to Cech.

With the seconds ticking down to the end of the first period of extra-time, Dellas lost his marker Bolf at the near post to glance home the winning header from a corner.
FalconIBer
I think Portugal but not because they are my team or because they are at home. They lost their first game to Greece but they are not the same team they were three weeks ago. Portugal has made the necessary changes to win every game since the first one, where Greece won their first, tied their second and lost their third to a team that was already eliminated. I think Portugal deserves it.

that was just in the qualifying though!
greece also deserves it, be fair!!
it couldnt all have been luck t oget this far? they are a good team and have worked hard
Reply 844
ive never seen pics in a thread like that
Reply 845
Well done Greece for their performance this tournament but that was really cruel on the Czechs. Koller and Baros had two great chances to score towards the end of the match but missed. For me, I felt the Czechs deserve to lift the trophy but hey they lost fair and square so i guess they don't deserve to lift it!

I'll be cheering Portugal in the final although i don't mind who wins as long as it's a good game and it's won on merit.
Viva Portugal
Reply 847
you like copying and pasting off BBC dont you? :tongue:
Reply 848
Tinykates
awwww nooooooo. who's doing the final then??? :frown:

Um, I think it might be the guy who reffed the england-portugal match.
Reply 849
musiq
Well done Greece for their performance this tournament but that was really cruel on the Czechs. Koller and Baros had two great chances to score towards the end of the match but missed. For me, I felt the Czechs deserve to lift the trophy but hey they lost fair and square so i guess they don't deserve to lift it!

I'll be cheering Portugal in the final although i don't mind who wins as long as it's a good game and it's won on merit.

yeh its real harsh but they should of taken the chances.
that is the worst, defend well most of the match then concede in the 15th minute in first half of extra time. silver goal=no way back
kriztinae
that was just in the qualifying though!
greece also deserves it, be fair!!
it couldnt all have been luck t oget this far? they are a good team and have worked hard

Im not saying Greece doesnt deserve it, but I think Portugal deserves it more.
Reply 851
I guess that he wants to leave at the top, before he gets known for making mistakes because he's old or somethig like that.
Reply 852
LOL why are people suddenly voting on the poll now?! does it make you feel good?
there were only 4 votes for greece in the 14th minute of extra time :biggrin:
Xenon
Um, I think it might be the guy who reffed the england-portugal match.

oh dear let me guess whose gonna win! :frown:
chats
LOL why are people suddenly voting on the poll now?! does it make you feel good?
there were only 4 votes for greece in the 14th minute of extra time :biggrin:

i voted afterwards coz i wasnt home! :biggrin:
Reply 855
Marcus Merk will referee the final. He took charge of England-France.
Reply 856
kriztinae
i voted afterwards coz i wasnt home! :biggrin:

yeh i believe you would of voted for greece before the match, but not the others :biggrin:
FalconIBer
Im not saying Greece doesnt deserve it, but I think Portugal deserves it more.

:frown: why?
chats
yeh i believe you would of voted for greece before the match, but not the others :biggrin:

lol i would have voted for czech rep! no faith in greece i know but well done!
Reply 859
The final score was 19-4 to the Czech Republic in the poll before people start getting clever :wink:.

Latest