Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
as a man city fan im satisfied. 23 pts from 18 games is about what i expected.

puts us on course for about 45-50 points for the end of the season, which should have us comfortably safe. safety being the main aim
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Refused)
As a Spurs fan, I'm relieved that after our poor form and shamble with the last manager, we've moved up the table after 4 consecutive wins. And in that period we also played some nice football to top it off.

I couldn't care less who'll win the league but Chelsea are proving that the premiership can be bought.
True, and well done to Spurs yesterday. They played fantastically, especially Jermaine Defoe.
About Chelsea, it's sad, but very true. They have a power crazy billionaire running the club and can buy any player in the world to help strenghten their squad, I can see them being at the top for many years yet..
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For Boro, it hasn't been that bad a year. We're now just 8 points from safety and hopefully we'll get them as soon as possible.

When we beat Man Utd at Christmas 1998 (the 'Bernie's Bum' win) we went 3rd, and Lineker and Hansen were discussing us on Match of the Day as dark horse Championship contenders. That was on December 19th... we didn't win another match until the 14th March. Going back a bit further, in Robbo's first Premiership season (95/96), a win at Everton on Boxing Day would have put us 2nd in the Premiership. Alas we got hammered 4-0 and didn't win again until 5th April.

In January I'd like us to bring in a central midfielder (preferably on loan) as cover. Someone like Parker would be ideal, but obviously he wouldn't come here to sit on the bench. Maybe Miller from Man Utd or Geremi back again to play RW and keep Parlour in the centre.

I think we have the potential to finish 4th but whether or not we will depends on Everton dropping points and Liverpool not putting a massive run together (which they're more than capable of). More likely though, we'll finish 5th/6th, preferably 5th for UEFA Cup qualification. And speaking of the UEFA Cup, a quarter final tie against the Geordies wouldn't go amiss.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I reckon that it'll finish:

1 Chelsea
2 Man Utd
3 Arsenal
4 Liverpool
5 Boro
6 Everton
7 Villa
8 Newcastle
9 Man City
10 Spurs

However I'm hoping it will finish like this:
1 Man Utd
2 Chelsea
3 Liverpool
4 Boro
5 Arsenal
6 Villa
7 B'ham
8 Newcastle
9 Everton
10 Fulham

As a Utd fan I don't really want any new faces in January and don't want to see any old ones leave, if we can get a fluency within the squad we'll play much better and get a decent run of wins together.

I reckon Henry will get the golden boot since all the other top strikers get rested alot more, I think Kewell might actually start playing like one of the best players in the league...we know he can.

At the bottom I see the 3 that came up going back down now that Harrys in charge at Soton, Blackburn could still get sucked into it but unlikely.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just wondering who you all back to take the silverware in 2005.

Put your predictions down for the following...
Champions League:
Uefa Cup:
Premier League:
Serie A:
La Liga:
The Championship:
FA Cup:
League Cup:
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
For Boro, it hasn't been that bad a year. We're now just 8 points from safety and hopefully we'll get them as soon as possible.

When we beat Man Utd at Christmas 1998 (the 'Bernie's Bum' win) we went 3rd, and Lineker and Hansen were discussing us on Match of the Day as dark horse Championship contenders. That was on December 19th... we didn't win another match until the 14th March. Going back a bit further, in Robbo's first Premiership season (95/96), a win at Everton on Boxing Day would have put us 2nd in the Premiership. Alas we got hammered 4-0 and didn't win again until 5th April.

In January I'd like us to bring in a central midfielder (preferably on loan) as cover. Someone like Parker would be ideal, but obviously he wouldn't come here to sit on the bench. Maybe Miller from Man Utd or Geremi back again to play RW and keep Parlour in the centre.

I think we have the potential to finish 4th but whether or not we will depends on Everton dropping points and Liverpool not putting a massive run together (which they're more than capable of). More likely though, we'll finish 5th/6th, preferably 5th for UEFA Cup qualification. And speaking of the UEFA Cup, a quarter final tie against the Geordies wouldn't go amiss.
The way Boro are playing at the moment, it seems they won't drop too many points in the immediate future. They are playing with great character, fluency and with an excellent team spirit.
In Steve McClaren they have a gifted young manager, almost up there with David Moyes

They have a good group of youngsters, namely Stuart Downing and James Morrison, and have two decent strikers in Viduka and Hasselbaink, who we all know can produce a piece of magic at any given moment.

Personally, i'd like Boro to stop winning! Take the pressure off on Everton, but I would love Boro to finish higher than Liverpool, so.. as you said, 5th of 6th would be excellent. Again, on a personal note, I see Everton as likely european contenders, but it may all depend on how Moyes goes about in January. The money is there (..wow), and it's up to him to either bring in new faces, either as back-up or for the starting XI, or to stick with the team that's brought up this far in the league, and hope we steer clear of too many injuries and suspensions!! :cool:
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Champions League: Chelsea
Uefa Cup: Valencia
Premier League: Chelsea
Serie A: Juventus
La Liga: Barcelona
The Championship: Sunderland (begrudgingly)
FA Cup: Chelsea
League Cup: Chelsea
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)

I would echo your sentiments, priorities also have to be to ensure Schwazer stays. He is a very talented keeper and is often over looked. Hopefully the arrival of European football will help convice him.

A quality player in the middle is certainly a priority while mendi is still out.

I would also say that I hope we can push on in Europe as there are no obvious winners left and on our day I think we can beat any of the teams left. Its just a case of hoping the team plays to their full potential when it matters.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
What are your predictions?

Let's look at the next five fixtures who each team in the top five....

Chelsea:
Villa (h), Portsmouth (a), Liverpool (a), Middlesbrough (h), Tottenham (a)

Arsenal:
Fulham (h), Newcastle (a), Charlton (a), Man City (h), Bolton (a)

Everton:
Man City (h), Charlton (a), Tottenham (a), Portsmouth (h), Middlesbrough (a)

Man' United:
Bolton (h), Villa (a), Middlesbrough (a), Tottenham (h), Liverpool (a)

Middlesbrough:
Birmingham (a), Norwich (h), Man United (h), Chelsea (a), Everton (h)

A lot of hard games coming up for each team in the top five, although I would say Arsenal seem to have the easiest route through the next five games..
I would say that Chelsea should get about 12 points out of that lot, about the same for Arsenal too. I think Man Utd will get slightly less few points from those games than Arsenal or Chelsea, but only by a point or so.

My surprise team to finish in the lower regions of the bottom half will be Fulham. You just have to feel that Malbranque will have left by the end of the season, he is far too good to be playing with a group of average players, and needs to move on. By looking at their final five matches I can't really see where the points are going to come from;

19 April 2005
Barclays Premiership
Middlesbrough v Fulham, 19:45
23 April 2005
Barclays Premiership
Chelsea v Fulham, 15:00
30 April 2005
Barclays Premiership
Fulham v Everton, 15:00
07 May 2005
Barclays Premiership
Blackburn v Fulham, 15:00
14 May 2005
Barclays Premiership
Fulham v Norwich, 15:00
They could get 6 points from that lot. That is enough to stay out of the relegation zone.

Which areas of your team would you want to improve in the January transfer window?
Need a striker, possibly Shevchenko. Don't think we need any more midfielders but we can always rid of a few (perhaps Smertin) to make room for Ronaldinho and Gerrard IF they move to Chelsea.
Krim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
FIFA rules Mexico's leading female player ineligible for mens' team
Sun 19 Dec, 9:44 PM

ZURICH (AFP) - FIFA ruled that Mexico's leading female football player was not eligible to play for a professional men's club in the second division there.

FIFA's executive committee, meeting in Zurich, "stressed once again that there must be a clear separation between men's and women's football.

"This is laid down in league football and in international matches by the existence of gender-specific competitions, and the Laws of the Game and FIFA's regulations do not provide for any exceptions."

Second division Atletico Celaya were interested in signing Maribel Dominguez, a striker who scored nine goals for the Mexican women's team as they qualified for the Athens Olympics where they reached the quarter-finals.

Speaking to Mexican radio station Formula 21, "Marigol" said she accepted FIFA's decision but would continue to press for a women's football league.

"We have to knock on doors, so at least they support us to have a women's league here in Mexico so we can develop," she said.

If women can compete with men in American Football and Ice Hockey then why not Football? Answers on a postcard.

I always wondered what FIFA's stance on this was..
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In my mind Carsley and Gravesen are currently tied for player of the season.

They've both been outstanding in every game i've seen.

I also decided that Kaka should have been in my team somewhere... don't quite know why i left him out or where i'd fit him in... but he'll go in there somewhere.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Didn't a female player sign for an Italian side before? I can't remember specific details but i'm sure i read it on the internet before..

I personally think if she's good enough, then why not?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
In my mind Carsley and Gravesen are currently tied for player of the season.

They've both been outstanding in every game i've seen.

I also decided that Kaka should have been in my team somewhere... don't quite know why i left him out or where i'd fit him in... but he'll go in there somewhere.
Great comment ma son!:champ: To you I do adore :adore:
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On a personal note i'm quite happy with how things are going. I know we're sat 4th in the league and are quite a distance away from Chelsea in both points and performance, but i didn't expect us to be winning the league at Christmas. We're going through a transitional phase and i would have expected 2nd or 3 rd place at the start of the season. I would however like to see us progress in Europe, to the Semis or maybe Final. I know AC will be a very tough tie but if we have Ruud back fit i think we could make a game of it. As for January, we won't be bringing anyone in.

I'm delighted to see Everton are still up there and making a fight of it. Everyone expects them to slip out of the race, but they just keep winning. It's nice to see someone different up there for once. If they carry on the way they are, which i think they will do they could sneak 4th. They need to buy in January, but only to add strength in depth. Disrupting the team with new 'star' names will only hurt the momentum. Instead 3 or 4 players to strentghen the squad would be a good move.

As for Boro i genuinely believe they can win the Waffa cup. I can't see any other team that stands out as an obvious winner and as long as they carry on playing the confident and positive football that they are they will always trouble any team. I hope they do it.. and i can see them coming in the top 6.

My top 6:

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man United
4. Everton
5. Liverpool
6. Boro

The 3 teams that came up will probably go down, with Crystal Palace being the only one of the 3 to maybe avoid relegation at the expense of Saints or Blackburn because in Johnson they have someone who will hit 16-20 goals. I'd like to see them stay and blackburn go...
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As a Villa fan, I'm frustrated with our erratic form. I hope Doug opens the cheque book in Jan.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
As a Villa fan, I'm frustrated with our erratic form. I hope Doug opens the cheque book in Jan.
I've always throught Villa fans hated that fella...

I also see that he expects Europe this year..
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Real Madrid v Juventus - Juve
FC Porto v Inter Milan - Inter
Barcelona v Chelsea - Really hard to call, gonna go with Barca. They're just so good going forward.
Werder Bremen v Lyon - Werder Bremen
Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen - Liverpool. Probably wrong, but gotta be patriotic.
PSV v Monaco - Monaco
Manchester United v AC Milan - United, of course.
Bayern Munich v Arsenal - Bayern.

I think our game will depend on whether Ruud is back to full fitness but i think we might just edge it.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've always throught Villa fans hated that fella...

I also see that he expects Europe this year..
We'll be lucky with our form of late, also with Chelsea (a) and Man U (h) coming up over Christmas.

I think it is time DD stepped aside, as he has taken Villa as far as he can... our stagnation over the past few years is testament to that.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
We'll be lucky with our form of late, also with Chelsea (a) and Man U (h) coming up over Christmas.

I think it is time DD stepped aside, as he has taken Villa as far as he can... our stagnation over the past few years is testament to that.
Deadly Doug!
You've got a good manager there, in David O'Leary.. good one him.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What's happened to Angel this season? He was top notch last year, this season he's :xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas:s. Typical Villa.

Also, is it just me or does Hitzelsberger not start most games? Whenever i watch he seems to be on the bench. Suprising, he's a good player with a stunning left foot on him. I'd start him every time. Could be wrong though..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads