Report 15 years ago
yeah not easy win, but will be a good game

shame no highlights on channel 4.
Jump
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd consider Cambell, Ferdinand, Terry (maybe Woodgate), Cole (maybe Bridge), Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney all to be top class...but only the ones in bold would make a WORLD XI.
alkaeda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think south africa will learn and battle back to a hard fought draw... smith will make a century for sure...
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok, recently I have been rather bored so have spent quite a lot of time flicking htrough TV channels. During this flicking I have come across Sky Sports showing American Football. Suprisingly, I've actually enjoyed watching this despite not having a clue what is going on. I've now read I few pages explaining the basics but there are still a few things I really don't get. For those who know the game, these questions prob. seem really trivial so i appologise if I seem really dense!
What's the difference between the AFL or the NFL, or are they the same thing? :confused:
With the whole offensive and defensive and special teams, do you have totally separate groups of players or do players just switch positions when on the offensive or defending?
And the SuperBowl, is that a totally different competition from the legue competitions?? How do the legues and stuff work?

Anyone who can enlighten me on these subjects will make me very happy!!

This is a random chrsitmas day thread, but anyway, Merry Xmas to you all.

Thanks
MikeH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Heh, I started playing Fantasy Football with some Americans before I'd watched a game. Two winning seasons in a row and C5 showing 2 live games a week later I know a little more I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me will reply later, but as far as I know the AFL was set up as a rival league to the NFL in the 60's, but they merged later under the NFL name. I think most of the AFL league teams went to become part of the AFC and the rest the NFC, the two 'conferences' that form the NFL as a whole.

Defense and offense are completly different groups of people, I don't know for certain if there aren't a few people who play both, but certainly for the most part people will only play in one unit.

And the superbowl is kinda like the FA cup, it's a knockout competition, only it's different from the FA cup in that the results of the league determine which teams get to play in it instead of a qualification matches and so on.
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh my God... it's only the first day and it's already a disaster!
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't be daft, we'll still win easily....
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MikeH)
Heh, I started playing Fantasy Football with some Americans before I'd watched a game. Two winning seasons in a row and C5 showing 2 live games a week later I know a little more I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me will reply later, but as far as I know the AFL was set up as a rival league to the NFL in the 60's, but they merged later under the NFL name. I think most of the AFL league teams went to become part of the AFC and the rest the NFC, the two 'conferences' that form the NFL as a whole.

Defense and offense are completly different groups of people, I don't know for certain if there aren't a few people who play both, but certainly for the most part people will only play in one unit.

And the superbowl is kinda like the FA cup, it's a knockout competition, only it's different from the FA cup in that the results of the league determine which teams get to play in it instead of a qualification matches and so on.
Thanks Mike

And just one more question, I was lookign through the Patriot's news and they say the status of players to be Questionable, probable or out. Obviously this is about their injuries and fitness to play but does probably mean probably out, or probably playing??

Thanks
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hum...102-7
Doesn't fill me with joy and confidence
But, then again, i'm never a beacon of optimism when England and playing cricket
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
125-8.

It could be worse.

I think.
Syntax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
139 all out is dismal
MikeH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Probably playing The status will refer to how likely it is that they will play, rather than not play.
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ahhh I hope so, the only reason i'm going to be watching The Patriots play the Jets tonight is so I can see Tom Brady running around in those lovely tight trousers. He must be the best looking quarter back in the NFL.
*sorry must get back on-topic*
stu_uk_aussie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey okay 139 out on first day and SA errr..... 70ish for 3............. not as bad a day as some people will think. If you look at the pitch its got uneven bounce and both sides have good bowling attacks. A par score would of been 200 we were only 61 short of that..... not a great day but certainly not a disaster.
Saree
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think James Anderson did a pretty good catch against New Zealand in the summer!
Saree
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
England are not doing too well but this is due to a few batsmen not performing e.g. Butcher. Hopefully, they can improve their situation. The rest of this test is going to show just how far in emotional and ability wise England have come.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
:rolleyes:
MC REN
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
scholes shouldn't be in the top 4 - hes not even the best player at Man Utd and for the last season or so has been disappointing, rarely scoring, playing poorly, etc
MC REN
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
Didn't a female player sign for an Italian side before? I can't remember specific details but i'm sure i read it on the internet before..

I personally think if she's good enough, then why not?
i don't think they actually managed to sign her, it was hannah ljungberg and perugia i think

they're publicity hounds, they signed Colonel Gaddafi's son as well
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Personally I think they don't want to be shown up by a female player.

I think if shes good enough then why not and vice versa. There shouldn't be a divide, not in this day and age anyway. So there! :aetsch:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (162)
24.92%
Better than expected (132)
20.31%
Worse than expected (356)
54.77%

Watched Threads