Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah not easy win, but will be a good game

shame no highlights on channel 4.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider Cambell, Ferdinand, Terry (maybe Woodgate), Cole (maybe Bridge), Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney all to be top class...but only the ones in bold would make a WORLD XI.

ReputationRep:
    i think south africa will learn and battle back to a hard fought draw... smith will make a century for sure...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, recently I have been rather bored so have spent quite a lot of time flicking htrough TV channels. During this flicking I have come across Sky Sports showing American Football. Suprisingly, I've actually enjoyed watching this despite not having a clue what is going on. I've now read I few pages explaining the basics but there are still a few things I really don't get. For those who know the game, these questions prob. seem really trivial so i appologise if I seem really dense!
    What's the difference between the AFL or the NFL, or are they the same thing? :confused:
    With the whole offensive and defensive and special teams, do you have totally separate groups of players or do players just switch positions when on the offensive or defending?
    And the SuperBowl, is that a totally different competition from the legue competitions?? How do the legues and stuff work?

Anyone who can enlighten me on these subjects will make me very happy!!

This is a random chrsitmas day thread, but anyway, Merry Xmas to you all.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I started playing Fantasy Football with some Americans before I'd watched a game. Two winning seasons in a row and C5 showing 2 live games a week later I know a little more I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me will reply later, but as far as I know the AFL was set up as a rival league to the NFL in the 60's, but they merged later under the NFL name. I think most of the AFL league teams went to become part of the AFC and the rest the NFC, the two 'conferences' that form the NFL as a whole.

Defense and offense are completly different groups of people, I don't know for certain if there aren't a few people who play both, but certainly for the most part people will only play in one unit.

And the superbowl is kinda like the FA cup, it's a knockout competition, only it's different from the FA cup in that the results of the league determine which teams get to play in it instead of a qualification matches and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God... it's only the first day and it's already a disaster!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be daft, we'll still win easily....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeH)
    Heh, I started playing Fantasy Football with some Americans before I'd watched a game. Two winning seasons in a row and C5 showing 2 live games a week later I know a little more I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me will reply later, but as far as I know the AFL was set up as a rival league to the NFL in the 60's, but they merged later under the NFL name. I think most of the AFL league teams went to become part of the AFC and the rest the NFC, the two 'conferences' that form the NFL as a whole.

Defense and offense are completly different groups of people, I don't know for certain if there aren't a few people who play both, but certainly for the most part people will only play in one unit.

And the superbowl is kinda like the FA cup, it's a knockout competition, only it's different from the FA cup in that the results of the league determine which teams get to play in it instead of a qualification matches and so on.
    Thanks Mike

And just one more question, I was lookign through the Patriot's news and they say the status of players to be Questionable, probable or out. Obviously this is about their injuries and fitness to play but does probably mean probably out, or probably playing??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hum...102-7
    Doesn't fill me with joy and confidence
    But, then again, i'm never a beacon of optimism when England and playing cricket

ReputationRep:
    125-8.

It could be worse.

I think.

ReputationRep:
    139 all out is dismal

ReputationRep:
    Probably playing The status will refer to how likely it is that they will play, rather than not play.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I hope so, the only reason i'm going to be watching The Patriots play the Jets tonight is so I can see Tom Brady running around in those lovely tight trousers. He must be the best looking quarter back in the NFL.
    *sorry must get back on-topic*

ReputationRep:
    Hey okay 139 out on first day and SA errr..... 70ish for 3............. not as bad a day as some people will think. If you look at the pitch its got uneven bounce and both sides have good bowling attacks. A par score would of been 200 we were only 61 short of that..... not a great day but certainly not a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    I think James Anderson did a pretty good catch against New Zealand in the summer!

ReputationRep:
    England are not doing too well but this is due to a few batsmen not performing e.g. Butcher. Hopefully, they can improve their situation. The rest of this test is going to show just how far in emotional and ability wise England have come.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    scholes shouldn't be in the top 4 - hes not even the best player at Man Utd and for the last season or so has been disappointing, rarely scoring, playing poorly, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makavelli_07)
    Didn't a female player sign for an Italian side before? I can't remember specific details but i'm sure i read it on the internet before..

I personally think if she's good enough, then why not?
    i don't think they actually managed to sign her, it was hannah ljungberg and perugia i think

they're publicity hounds, they signed Colonel Gaddafi's son as well

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think they don't want to be shown up by a female player.

I think if shes good enough then why not and vice versa. There shouldn't be a divide, not in this day and age anyway. So there! :aetsch:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.