Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hmmm SA are now about 200 ahead, and they still have their 2nd innings to bat as well!

hopefully Tresco and Strauss will put on about 300 for the 1st wicket, and England get about 500, then we'd be laughing. however the odds on that aren't incredibly high!

i'm shamefully plumping for a draw. still over 3 days cricket left on a deteriorating pitch... it would take an outstanding batting performance, then some very good bowling on england's part to win this game.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cindy)
Personally I think they don't want to be shown up by a female player.

I think if shes good enough then why not and vice versa. There shouldn't be a divide, not in this day and age anyway. So there! :aetsch:
This is probably gonna sound sexist and controversial (even if its not meant to) but the best way is to keep the sexes apart. Theres two seperate leagues, one for male, one for female and to allow women to play in the mens league would destroy the female leagues altogether and cause major problems. All world class female players like hannah ljungberg, the american striker and the other awesome swedish woman (i know, badly researched, but its less mainstream to pick up and i dont have time!) would leave the female leagues, making the leagues less enjoyable to spectators and a serious degradation to the improvements in womens football. It also allows men to cross the divide the other way meaning there is potentially two leagues of mixed sex players. The only way would be to abolish the womens league altogether which would make it many times more difficult for women to get into football, one girl surrounded by 50 boys in liverpools academy at an age where boys say 'yuck' to girls would find it difficult to settle.

Now for the more controversial bit...it is scientifically known (and to be crude, obvious) that men are on average stronger and taller than woman, this may go either way. I know, size doesnt matter, and in the semis of the last world cup representatives from 4 different continents with different genetic builds and heights played, but there could be potential for increased injury to any woman player in the same way as someone like shaun wright phillips at 1 ft3 would be likely to come off worse in a 50-50 with viera. I think it may alter football the other way, in some eastern bloc country about 2 years ago i remember there been a mixed league set up which was abandoned. The main reasons given were that the physical edge to the game were lost and it was less fun to watch, the men were much less willing to slide in to a tackle or shoulder barge a woman away as opposed to another male, its a common trend in society, theres still cowardice and shame inherent ina mans mind for hurting a woman, no matter how accidental in sporting purposes.

I'm not doubting the talent at the peak of womens football, integration just seems to give little benefit for a lot of work.
NEWUSERNAME
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
hmmm SA are now about 200 ahead, and they still have their 2nd innings to bat as well!

hopefully Tresco and Strauss will put on about 300 for the 1st wicket, and England get about 500, then we'd be laughing. however the odds on that aren't incredibly high!

i'm shamefully plumping for a draw. still over 3 days cricket left on a deteriorating pitch... it would take an outstanding batting performance, then some very good bowling on england's part to win this game.
and a bit of rain maybe!
Vikernes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And the SuperBowl, is that a totally different competition from the legue competitions?? How do the legues and stuff work?
The NFL is the entire league. There are two conferences, AFC and NFC. Each of these conferences are then split into 4 divisions, into which the teams are grouped. The 4 division winners (e.g for this season, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England and so forth), automatically earn spots in the playoffs. On top of the total 8 division winners, there are 2 Wildcard slots up for grabs in each conference. Therefore 6 AFC teams and 6 NFC teams proceed onto the playoffs.

You may be thinking 12 is an awkward number of teams to bracket in a playoff situation. But, the two division winners with the best records in each conference earn first round byes. After the first round, those 4 teams then join the other victorious 4 teams, and from there it's a straight forward knockout system.

All playoff games are contested between teams from the same conference. At the semi-final stage you are left with AFC Champions and NFC Champions. These two then face off for the Superbowl.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/conference This standings table may help you. It's easier to read the table than follow a text description of the whole thing.

MikeH covered the rest.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well who knows. a few good boundaries from England since my last post... and a suggestion that the wicket's flattening.

they have the next 3 days to bat... so as long as they don't do anything rash and play silly shots, i think we're still in with a chance. all we need is for a big name player to get stuck on and build a fat innings, similar to Jacques Kallis today
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vikernes)
The NFL is the entire league. There are two conferences, AFC and NFC. Each of these conferences are then split into 4 divisions, into which the teams are grouped. The 4 division winners (e.g for this season, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England and so forth), automatically earn spots in the playoffs. On top of the total 8 division winners, there are 2 Wildcard slots up for grabs in each conference. Therefore 6 AFC teams and 6 NFC teams proceed onto the playoffs.

You may be thinking 12 is an awkward number of teams to bracket in a playoff situation. But, the two division winners with the best records in each conference earn first round byes. After the first round, those 4 teams then join the other victorious 4 teams, and from there it's a straight forward knockout system.

All playoff games are contested between teams from the same conference. At the semi-final stage you are left with AFC Champions and NFC Champions. These two then face off for the Superbowl.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/conference This standings table may help you. It's easier to read the table than follow a text description of the whole thing.

MikeH covered the rest.
Thanks, I understand that now.

But, when I look at the schedule for the patriots it shows that they have played teams other that the 3 others in their division. What are these games for?
And, do the devisions ever change or is it just the same 4 teams every year?

Thanks
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by danni_bella83)
I know, isn't it a terrific game? I've only played it once properly tho And I reckon more people should give lawn bowling a go, I played that last Thursday night, heaps of fun! Definitely underated :cool: I don't think I could play either seriously atm, coz of soccer.

Thanks guys for posting on here

DB_x
cool!
do you have a club near you then, danni? i know that australia's croquet population is flourishing... they have some terrific players there!
how did you get round to playing?
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
well who knows. a few good boundaries from England since my last post... and a suggestion that the wicket's flattening.

they have the next 3 days to bat... so as long as they don't do anything rash and play silly shots, i think we're still in with a chance. all we need is for a big name player to get stuck on and build a fat innings, similar to Jacques Kallis today
Well look at us go. 201-0, Strausy and Marcus looking very goot atm

It is the first double-century opening stand since Gooch/Atherton against the Aussies in 1991
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
Well look at us go. 201-0, Strausy and Marcus looking very goot atm

It is the first double-century opening stand since Gooch/Atherton against the Aussies in 1991
yeah, i just woke up and turned on teletext to see that we're doing absolutely amazing.... just as I'd hoped for last night.

How cool is that
Go england!
alkaeda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if they can set south africa a target of 350 by the end of the 4th day... we could have a 9th straight victory on our hands... but hey this is england were talking about, so fuc all could happen
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Apparently Giles has been bowling in the nets
Vikernes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Louise_1988)
Thanks, I understand that now.

But, when I look at the schedule for the patriots it shows that they have played teams other that the 3 others in their division. What are these games for?
And, do the devisions ever change or is it just the same 4 teams every year?

Thanks
There is a mixture of intra- and inter-conference games, in order to mix the schedule up, plus I guess it gives a more accurate picture of who's best. I found an article here from 2001 that explains it all. To sum it up, the divisional structure was last changed when the Houston Texans were created and started in 2002. The plan discussed in that link covers a schedule rotation for seasons 2002 through 2009.

Teams definitely play each of their divisional opponents twice (home and away; taking up 6 games), while the inter-divisional and inter-conference matches are based on a cycle. Take my AFC North Pittsburgh Steelers as an example. This season they have battled all of the AFC East teams, and their inter-conference opponents have been the NFC East teams. (We whooped them all by the way :cool: ). Last season we went against the AFC West and NFC West teams.

I know its tricky to get your head around at first, but hey, it is American. :p:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the new scheduling formula, every team within a division will play 16 games as follows:

• Home and away against its three division opponents (6 games).
• The four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle (4 games).
• The four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle (4 games).
• Two intraconference games based on the prior year's standings (2 games). These games will match a first-place team against the first-place teams in the two same-conference divisions the team is not scheduled to play that season. The second-place, third-place, and fourth-place teams in a conference will be matched in the same way each year
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So Tresy out. Butcher, Thorpe et al better not collapse. Just survive the day guys.
chandni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i dunno y but i can smell match fixing and it reeks!!
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chandni)
i dunno y but i can smell match fixing and it reeks!!
wtf. i don't believe it. both teams have been toiling ridiculous hard all day trying give themselves the upper hand.

a rare masterclass batting performance by the England openers, and you accuse someone of matchfixing?
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
So Tresy out. Butcher, Thorpe et al better not collapse. Just survive the day guys.
yeah.
it's always so annoying when partnerships like that end... they could easily have batted the extra 45 mins or so till the end of the day, then go out refreshed and score zillions of runs!

now we have to wait while Butcher finds his feet, and for the ball to grow old...
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think that initially England will even be properly thinking about winning the match. They need to build on the brilliant 1st wicket partnership and get a good lead going. I hope theydo so, and then, after a dismal 1st innings, it would be brilliant to see England win. Showing trhat when the pressure is on, they can produce. The 1st 2 players have proved this. I just hope that the rest of the players can too. A nice half century from Butcher, and Strauss reaching his double century would do england just fine. Plus, Strauss doesn't need many more runs to reach 1000 runs. I'm glad england came off for bad light, cos it seemed a bit iffy after trescothic's wicket was lost.

JUST KEEP YOUR HEADS ENGLANDAND DON'T COLLAPSE!!!!
chandni
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my thoughts of fixing came whilst sitting with my grandad who is a huge england fan. And this is why... simply South Africa's field settings. therefore i dnt think there has been any fixing from england but i'm not so sure on the SA end
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chandni)
my thoughts of fixing came whilst sitting with my grandad who is a huge england fan. And this is why... simply South Africa's field settings. therefore i dnt think there has been any fixing from england but i'm not so sure on the SA end
What does it smell like?

We did not get much of a chance to see the possible match fixing in the first innings did we. England did not really test the field much.
chandni
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what i mean is at the end of yesterday there was a very defensive field set when there was a chance to get a couple wickets this gave strauss and treskothick a chance to settle down and the same thing happened at the start of every single session today!!! I can;t believe that this would be a "tactic" of how to bowl a team out cheaply!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed