Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i like the way they do in the rugby matches:every ref got a mini walkie talkie in his ear, and another person in the box will tell him if it was a try or not after studying the video.
    why cant we do that in football??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    NO NO NO NO NO

The beauty of football is that the game is the same whether watching Arsenal or Aresley. Who is going to pay for expensive technological 3rd eyes in the Ryman Div 1 South exactly?
    do you think its used in all cricket matches or rubgy matches?

no, just the more "important" ones.

ReputationRep:
    everyone is blaming the referee and linesman, but don't you think the players should be more honest and tell the referee. Okay if Carroll wasn't sure that the ball cross the line, then fine, but it blantanly cross the line by like 3/4 feet as said on MOTD?

Using video technology is expensive, and ruins the flow of the game

Sports like snooker, and erm thats not only sport i can think of at the moment where most players don't cheat.........shouldn't it happen in more sports?

But then again, if i was a football player, i wouldn't risk the chance of getting dropped for the next game and even worse, get sold by my manager

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dptbrown13)
    He cant really be blamed for the spurs "goal" last night mainly because he wasn't reffin! Wasnt it that Clattenburg guy?
    Or have i made myself look incredibly stupid?! havin self doubt now someone clear it up for me!
    Yeah, Clattenburg was the ref last night.

ReputationRep:
    There was already a thread on this by myself not so long ago, knew it would crop up again

Some links:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4148155.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4143131.stm

ReputationRep:
    Here it is, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t74234.html

It would be interesting to see if the recent events have changed people's mind on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon video tech should be used but there is a danger of getting carried away and inevitably losing the fluency in matches.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't just Riley's fault. I mean the 3rd officials/linesmen will obviously have much better views. I think technology needs to be introduced into most sports. If we have video replays/help then we can stop the injustice on the fans and also prevent teams winning/losing or even drawing when it shouldn't be the case.

ReputationRep:
    I think video tech should be used, for important decisions - such as on/off the line goals, penalty kicks.

And also maybe for possible "offside goals".

But obviously not for "whose throw in is it" etc.

A good point was made on MOTD a few weeks ago, that while using video tech will delay the game a little, the time lost will be comparable to the time it takes to calm down protesting players when a decision goes against them because there can be no complaints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    I think video tech should be used, for important decisions - such as on/off the line goals, penalty kicks.
    But it wouldn't work having them for penalties. It can only be for something black and white such as whether the ball has crossed the line. Penalties still have an element of subjectivity in them.

ReputationRep:
    YES an I'm not even a Man Utd fan. They were robbed. :eek:
    Its a wonder the fans didnt descend on the pitch and give him a right old beating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    do you think its used in all cricket matches or rubgy matches?

no, just the more "important" ones.
    Why I said it was the beauty of football, not the beauty of football, rugby and cricket :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    Like I keep saying, have what they have (I think) in American football, where each team is allowed one go per match where they can have the refs review a decision.
    What would you "charge" them with if the challenge were dismissed (Teams are charged a timeout in the NFL)

ReputationRep:
    NO NO NO NO NO

The beauty of football is that the game is the same whether watching Arsenal or Aresley. Who is going to pay for expensive technological 3rd eyes in the Ryman Div 1 South exactly?
    my point exactly

ReputationRep:
    Why I said it was the beauty of football, not the beauty of football, rugby and cricket :rolleyes:
    hardly beautiful if you get trash decisions like the other night.

i prefer rugby where you can be assured the decisions are correct 99% of the time when the video is used.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of people saying it will delay the game, fail to go on further than just one sentence. Yet, some of the existing rules already delay and slow down the tempo of the game already and they fail to spot this.

ReputationRep:
    Cech
    Lauren...Terry...Ferdinand...Hei nze
    Robben...Gerrard...Gravesen...Do wning
    Henry...Johnson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    hardly beautiful if you get trash decisions like the other night.

i prefer rugby where you can be assured the decisions are correct 99% of the time when the video is used.
    Personally I think it is beautiful. If everyone got everything right, where would the fun be? Websites, papers, TV fill their media with discussion, debate and criticism of referees. I think the game would be worse without that.

Liam Rosenior has just scored an own goal. I'm all for replacing him with a robot :rolleyes: Why do we expect referees to be perfect when we would never dream that of the players?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    Hadn't thunk about that. Red card for the manager? Don't know really. Maybe games should have timeouts
    How about a substitution? And not allow them to challenge anything if they have used all 3 subs.

Oh and I have said many times about a 60min play clock Great minds!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, i presumed it was riley (bcoz the guy who started the thread talked about the "goal" yesterday, and then that riley was a **** ref, so then i put 2 and 2 together.....

So i say lets stop blaming riley for everything, and bring in the cameras just for the goalline, anything else and the game flow will be ruined. and yes, football is quite stop-start at the moment, but we know when to stop and start a match, when the ball goes of, when i player gets injured......If we were to use cameras for everything it will stop whenever a player appeals, and it will be mayhem. I play in defense for my team, and i know that when the ball goes anywhere near a players hands it is instict to put my hand up to signal handball (and no im not a cheat, its just natural reaction), and with cameras it would stop the match every five minutes. After about 40% of goals we would have to check with the cameras to see if we can allow it for not being offside, and it will become like cricket. As soon as the ball goes pass the line, i want to be jumping up and down celebrating a goal, i dont want to wait for verification on a screen telling me! Anyway,i think controversy is part of the game, and without it football would not be the game it is

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.