Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well... maybe I'm biased.. but I think Stains v Pompey has to be the tie of the round

Other than that...
    Oldham v Bolton
    (Probably) Liverpool v Bournemouth
    (Probably not) Exeter v Middlesbrough

Some good ties as always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    Bugger.
    Sorry Billy, here's where your FA Cup run ends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Well... maybe I'm biased.. but I think Stains v Pompey has to be the tie of the round
    I think the Middlesbrough game may well be a good one to watch. Wait 'til Arsenal and Chelsea are drawn against each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Title: Chelsea
    CL Spots: Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool
    Uefa Cup: Middlesbrough, Spurs
    Relegation: Norwich, WBA, Blackburn
    I'd love it if Blackburn go down I'd love it almost as much as if the Saints did! Southampton, Blackburn and Norwich would be my choice, if I could choose who went down (realistically speaking, of course).

Normally I'd wat the Scum to stay up because I like the derbies but since Harry went there I've just been praying for them to sink so I can bust a gut laughing (that's assuming Pompey don't go down too :p: ).

I believe Chelsea are headed for a blip (hopefully starting with a shock defeat by Portsmouth ), but it won't affect their final position of 1st

ReputationRep:
    Hartlepool then Brentford.

Oh the glamour.

ReputationRep:
    I believe Chelsea are headed for a blip
    I'm not so sure on that. Reading the below thinks have made me thought:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/4144409.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/4148431.stm (Alan Hansen disagrees with you )

(hopefully starting with a shock defeat by Portsmouth )
    It's not impossible but some lacklustre performaces, albeit by not the superior players of Chelsea, where they had some luck to the likes of s c u n t h o r p e.

but it won't affect their final position of 1st
    Will see how injuries will affect this. The Christmas period was a vital time, Chelsea yielded maximum points AND extended their lead over the current champions. Credit where credit is due.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what Alan Hansen thinks. If I remember correctly he thought Pompey were headed for the drop last season :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what Alan Hansen thinks.
    Could be worse, could be Rodney Marsh.

If I remember correctly he thought Pompey were headed for the drop last season :rolleyes:
    Sometimes they get it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Chelsea should beat Birmingham.
    Yes but it's not an easy match in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vishpatel)
    ashes only played between aus and england since along time ago after a test series there was no trophies so it was decided that they would burn the bails and the winner of the series would keep the 'ashes'.

they are played every 2 years and the alternate from england to australia every time they r played.

hope that helps!!
    HUGE cricket fan!
    why were there no trophies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Without Gobby **** Savage, i think you'll see Birmingham struggle a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Perhaps. But I'd rather have Birmingham than Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    You all know its going to be Newcastle Vs Chelsea in the final game, and we all know the score

2-0 to Newcastle

Shearer! and Bellers with the goals

- and, well played last night Yeading, that was a close match :aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle supporter here, I think that if we continue playing as bad as we are, we might just end up relegated this season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    You all know its going to be Newcastle Vs Chelsea in the final game, and we all know the score

2-0 to Newcastle

Oh yeah? If Newcastle are not careful your days in the top 6 flight could well be outnumbered, let alone a Champions League spot. Presumably you don't face Arsenal on your way up to the finals...

The only way I can see such a scoreline is major injuries to Chelsea and/or previous fixtures have taken it out on Chelsea. I felt this is one of many reasons why Arsenal lost to Man Utd in the FA Cup final last year, having been outclassed by their London rivals, Chelsea, with an emphatic victory, in the Champions League at Highbury. Then it looked like Arsenal were'nt goign to win anything, even though people were advocating a win for the trebble for the Gunners before the Lions and the Devils knocked them out.

ReputationRep:
    The Ashes got it's name through an Obituary Notice which appeared in the Sporting Times in 1882 following an Australia victory in a single match test at The Oval.

It read:

(Original post by Sporting Times 1882)
    In Affectionate Remembrance

Of

ENGLISH CRICKET WHICH DIED AT THE OVAL

On

29th August, 1882,

Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances

R. I. P.

N.B. - The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia.
    The two nations have played for "The Ashes" ever since.

In 1883, England won a 3 match series; 2-1, the 3rd match being played at the MCG.
    Some Melbourne ladies burnt a bail, and presented the ashes to Bligh (England Captain at the time), in an urn, as "The Ashes of English Cricket", which they had then won back.

The urn and the ashes themselves reside at Lords in a velvet bag after they'd been won back in 1883.

It is just the "name" that the two nations play for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Newcastle supporter here, I think that if we continue playing as bad as we are, we might just end up relegated this season
    As a Newcastle supporter, what do you feel about your manager, Graeme Souness? I have a friend who supports Newcastle and he said he was 6th choice or something and that he thought he's not much good and have not made too many decent signings in his managerial days at other clubs. And when he made some great signings, some of those players excelled at other clubs, such as Duff at Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    i expect the mackems to get a result at goodison...mebbe a draw 1-1, then a pasting at stadium of shii, erm, light. 3-0 to everton in a replay.

The mighty TOON ARMY, however, have a potential banana skin in Coventry City....i think wor Peeetah knew the future and got out of coventry before a trip to SJP...
    goodison is an dead end for the mackems.
    and there is no banana skins in the SJP, cleanest stadium in the country. you might will find some in the away team dressing room if peter reid was still the manager. :p: but hes gone now, so will his team.
    cant wait till the 5th round draw. come on bring on the Peterborough!

ReputationRep:
    yes mate. people, listen to this man....he knows the score, literally

2-0 to Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom86)
    goodison is an dead end for the mackems.
    You said it sister!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.