Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
FalconIBer
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
I want the Portuguese to believe that it will be easy. Just like they did in the 1st game and as France and Czech Rep did.

I dont really care if we re gonna win it though. I am extremely happy we ve made it to the final.

Anyways, I give us a 30-40% to win it cuz we play the hosts and we ll miss a key player.
I dont think that they under estimated greece....but oh well..
m:)ckel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
don't assume though that roddick will beat ancic....of course he's the favourite, but neither player was able to break the other's serve when they met in queens a few weeks ago (roddick won 7-6 7-6)
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The age limit for Premiership referees is 47, but he's a financial adviser in Italy so he does have another job.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Loads of people are ruling Greece out! They've beaten everyone they've been asked to and have already beaten Portugal - they were ruled out before the tournament, nobody thought they'd beat France and no one thought they'd beat the Czechs, I think Portugal will just win, but prediction of 4 - 0 are stupid.
ben3085
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
The questions were directing us to a particular response...and it's harsh to have as the negative bit "he's "alright", and nothing more"...he's a lot more than "alright" at tennis!
in comparison to other players (roddick, hewitt, federer, etc etc), dumbass.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ben3085)
in comparison to other players (roddick, hewitt, federer, etc etc), dumbass.
His record suggests alright/good, nothing else.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Momentum)
What puzzles me is this comment:

"This year is his best chance."

It wasn't, 2001 was.
although i agree with you that 2001 was certainly the closest he ever got, i think what is meant by this comment is that he has been playing some of the best tennis we've seen from him (french open for example), therefore this year would have been his best chance of winning wimbledon
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mockel)
although i agree with you that 2001 was certainly the closest he ever got, i think what is meant by this comment is that he has been playing some of the best tennis we've seen from him (french open for example), therefore this year would have been his best chance of winning wimbledon
*applaudes mockel*
glad someone understands what I was trying to say
charliefarley
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well its my bday so i hope he wins!!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
*applaudes mockel*
why thankyou
but i am one of those pessimistic people who thinks he won't ever win it. he's good, but not good enough, unfortunately
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
*applaudes mockel*
His most recent form was from Queens - A dissapointing first round defeat to a nobody.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
His most recent form was from Queens - A dissapointing first round defeat to a nobody.
yeah, but everybody has those sorts of moments. and anyway, that 'nobody' wasn't half bad!
his performances in the france showed that he was a good player, and that he deserved his top 10 ranking
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah, but everybody has those sorts of moments. and anyway, that 'nobody' wasn't half bad!
his performances in the france showed that he was a good player, and that he deserved his top 10 ranking
I see, so the performance at France was justification that Henman is good but the performance at Queens is just "a random blip".

I think it shows the extent of Henman's best (French Open) and Henman at his worst, Queens.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I see, so the performance at France was justification that Henman is good but the performance at Queens is just "a random blip".

I think it shows the extent of Henman's best (French Open) and Henman at his worst, Queens.
i agree, but i think henman's tennis has been more towards the 'better' end of the spectrum rather than the 'worst'
as i said, everyone has their moments (or 'random blips'). just take a look at hewitt- reigning champion loses in the first round of wimbledon, and goes on to have a pretty horrid year. his fall from grace was even more drastic than henman's, but you cannot dismiss him as not being a good player
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i agree, but i think henman's tennis has been more towards the 'better' end of the spectrum rather than the 'worst'
as i said, everyone has their moments (or 'random blips'). just take a look at hewitt- reigning champion loses in the first round of wimbledon, and goes on to have a pretty horrid year. his fall from grace was even more drastic than henman's, but you cannot dismiss him as not being a good player
True, but one must remember that this was 1 Semi-Final, where he avoided match point in round 4 and was 3 points away from defeat in the first round.

Henman is a decent tennis player, but not good enough to win a Grand Slam in my opinion.

Problem is, Henman cannot play his "absolute best tennis" every match, and importantly, when it counts.

e.g.) The best performance by Henman was IMO against Chele in the QF of French Open - But can he play like that for 7 matches in a row, and when it counts? No chance.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
True, but one must remember that this was 1 Semi-Final, where he avoided match point in round 4 and was 3 points away from defeat in the first round.

Henman is a decent tennis player, but not good enough to win a Grand Slam in my opinion.

Problem is, Henman cannot play his "absolute best tennis" every match, and importantly, when it counts.

e.g.) The best performance by Henman was IMO against Chele in the QF of French Open - But can he play like that for 7 matches in a row, and when it counts? No chance.
yeah, i agree with you that he'll never win a grand slam....
musiq
Report 15 years ago

I agree. I'd say Henman is a top 10 tennis player. His best tennis is good enough to win a grand slam. But unfortunately it's impossible for him to show that sort of form for the better part of two weeks. As soon as he dips below that standard he is beatable.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by musiq)
I agree. I'd say Henman is a top 10 tennis player. His best tennis is good enough to win a grand slam. But unfortunately it's impossible for him to show that sort of form for the better part of two weeks. As soon as he dips below that standard he is beatable.
Another qustion is does he have the desire? I don't know about you, but I watched him against Ancic and he seemed so flat and not with it; especially after he was 2-0 sets down.

IMO I think he has 1 more chance next year, and thats it. He's 30 in September don't forget!
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Roddick will have a tough match against Ancic and tehn we'll see.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Roddick will have a tough match against Ancic and tehn we'll see.
But will he though? I think Schalken is better than Ancic - The reason that many say that Ancic will pose problems is because he beat Henman; but Henman played awful; I would expect many tennis players to have beaten him based on that performance.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads