Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
No one has predicted Arsenal for the title.
He he I wonder why!!??? :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cindy)
He he I wonder why!!??? :rolleyes:
I'm surprised to see some people mention that Manchester United caught up 12 points behind Arsenal to win the 1998/99 season. Given that Manchester United conceded 37 goals in 38 games this makes their conceding ratio 0.973. Chelsea's so far is 8 goals in 23 games, making it 0.348.

I wonder, had Arsenal be in Chelsea's position, would people be dubbing the Premiership as a one horse race, but since Chelsea is in pole posiiton, that it is a 2/3/4 horse race?
chandni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think the open starts tomoz
Vishpatel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no, channel 4 /5 dont have the rights to show englands away matches!!
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think that the highlights are 'going' to be moving from channel 4 to 5 in the summer, for the ashes.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yea it doesnt start till tomorrow.
I can't see anyone but Federer winning the men's tho
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
I think Hewitt has a chance!
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I think Hewitt has a chance!
He isnt playing as well as he was at his peak but is on a run off good form and in front of the Aussie crowd he may have a chance. However even when Federer appears to be playing poorly he still wins comfortably.
Leifde
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And on the women's i would've like Justine to take it but seeing that she out with injury... i feel sorry for Elena and hope she can win it. She was in the final of the French Open and US Open last year, so maybe she can win this one. She also had a good start to the season winning an exhibition tournament she played in the beginning of january
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leifde)
And on the women's i would've like Justine to take it but seeing that she out with injury... i feel sorry for Elena and hope she can win it. She was in the final of the French Open and US Open last year, so maybe she can win this one. She also had a good start to the season winning an exhibition tournament she played in the beginning of january
Isn't she a major doubt for the open though?

I think Sharapova may win it...
She has been training realing hard and also has a fairly comfortable route to the Semis.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i've caught better colds than that
Syntax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm just following the Test scores on cricinfo.com.. but yeah I want to actually watch
Am very tempted to ask for Sky Sports, but I thought Channel 4 would be showing the Ashes, then after that Sky would have all of the rights. Damnit....
BLUREMI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the best catch was that jonty roades 1 cant remeber against who
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BLUREMI)
the best catch was that jonty roades 1 cant remeber against who
i don't care that it was a stupid comment. come up with better threads and it wouldn't happen
phishfood
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
one last hurrah for agassi and davenport? people count them out too easily, but at the US open on hard courts, only agassi took federer to 5 sets, and davenport remains the world number 1. both have won the aussie open before.
having said that, no-one's betting against federer for any tournament in the forseeable future. but, the last person to beat him at melbourne park was hewitt, which must count for something. the women's field is pretty open though, perhaps kuznetsova?
chandni
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would love Agassi or Henman to win...they are my fav male tennis players. But likelyhood is that Federer will take the whole thing. The womens I'm not so sure about as long as it isn't one of the williams brothers or mr muresmo i'm happy.
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
yeah, i see Federer winning it as well........there isn't any male player capable of beating him. His closer rival would be Hewitt i would say.

No doubt Federer is an extremely gifted and talented player. I believe that the quality of the mens in tennis isn't terribly good, i mean if Henman is in the top 8????? in the world, then thats saying something isn't it??? I don't think he would complete with the likes of Sampras, Becker, Agassi in their prime ......in the early to mid 90's.....even Ivanisavic in his prime at Wimbledon would be favourite to beat Federer.

His weakness is clay, i can see him winning many more grand slams, possibly beating Sampra's 7 Wimbledon titles....and the most Grand slams, unless some wicked player comes into the scene, which i haven't seen yet!!!
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by guest1984)
yeah, i see Federer winning it as well........there isn't any male player capable of beating him. His closer rival would be Hewitt i would say.

No doubt Federer is an extremely gifted and talented player. I believe that the quality of the mens in tennis isn't terribly good, i mean if Henman is in the top 8????? in the world, then thats saying something isn't it??? I don't think he would complete with the likes of Sampras, Becker, Agassi in their prime ......in the early to mid 90's.....even Ivanisavic in his prime at Wimbledon would be favourite to beat Federer.

His weakness is clay, i can see him winning many more grand slams, possibly beating Sampra's 7 Wimbledon titles....and the most Grand slams, unless some wicked player comes into the scene, which i haven't seen yet!!!
Why does everyone think henman is crap when he has reached 4 wimbledon semis along with a semi in roland garros and at the US open last year. The semis are the top 4 players and therefore he warrants his 8th place. I wouldnt say that the standard at the moment is poor but there is just a clear distinction between the world number one, Federer, and the chasing pack. No doubt Sampras or even Agassi vs Federer would be a great closely contested match but I believe Federer is still improving and has the potential to be the greatest ever.
ravs
Report 14 years ago
i saw that yuvraj catch live on tv, and it rates high up there

best catch i ever saw was kirtleys to dismiss ganguly off giles at lords in natwest series 2002. mcgraths at adelaide to dismiss vaughan was a stunner too, yuvvy took 2 gr8 ones in the 2002 champ trophy in sri lanka vs south africa, one off zaheer to dismiss smith, and one off bhajju to get rid of rhodes, and kaifs one was great aswell. dwayne bravo took a stunner in the first game of this vb series and also vasbert drakes catch in the 2003wc to dismiss john davison of canada after he made a 60 ball hundred was amazing
ravs
Report 14 years ago
c4 still have the ashes, the new contract only starts in 2006, when pakistan and lanka tour.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads