Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Why does everyone think henman is crap when he has reached 4 wimbledon semis along with a semi in roland garros and at the US open last year. The semis are the top 4 players and therefore he warrants his 8th place. I wouldnt say that the standard at the moment is poor but there is just a clear distinction between the world number one, Federer, and the chasing pack. No doubt Sampras or even Agassi vs Federer would be a great closely contested match but I believe Federer is still improving and has the potential to be the greatest ever.
    Thats a decent opinion!!!

Henman has been a pro for around 12 years(random guess).....so erm, 12*4 = been in 48 slams, 6 semi finals in 48 slams isn't hardly great is it?......before his last year semi in roland garros and the US open, he has never been past the 3rd or 4th round in like 12 attempts each........thats diabolical.......

Wimbledon is his home country, he has crowd support, he was brought up on grass, so obviously, he's gonna do well in it.....4 semi finals is good, but 1 final is better then 4 semi finals IMO......he can't step it up a level from the semi'. He has beaten every player on the circuit in non-televised tournaments, like Federer, safin, aggasi, hewiit, but when the pressures on, he can't perform..........he's a decent player, i am not saying he's crap, just not very good

Federer has no weakness in his game, he's amazing......how can he improve? can you tell me???? lol.....if he can improved, he would be invisible, i mean untouchable and unbeatable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    i saw that yuvraj catch live on tv, and it rates high up there

best catch i ever saw was kirtleys to dismiss ganguly off giles at lords in natwest series 2002. mcgraths at adelaide to dismiss vaughan was a stunner too, yuvvy took 2 gr8 ones in the 2002 champ trophy in sri lanka vs south africa, one off zaheer to dismiss smith, and one off bhajju to get rid of rhodes, and kaifs one was great aswell. dwayne bravo took a stunner in the first game of this vb series and also vasbert drakes catch in the 2003wc to dismiss john davison of canada after he made a 60 ball hundred was amazing
    damn i forgot the drakes catch....jus for a sec u thought he had misjudged it but he jus plucked it out of thin air! amazin catch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    Thats a decent opinion!!!

Henman has been a pro for around 12 years(random guess).....so erm, 12*4 = been in 48 slams, 6 semi finals in 48 slams isn't hardly great is it?......before his last year semi in roland garros and the US open, he has never been past the 3rd or 4th round in like 12 attempts each........thats diabolical.......

Wimbledon is his home country, he has crowd support, he was brought up on grass, so obviously, he's gonna do well in it.....4 semi finals is good, but 1 final is better then 4 semi finals IMO......he can't step it up a level from the semi'. He has beaten every player on the circuit in non-televised tournaments, like Federer, safin, aggasi, hewiit, but when the pressures on, he can't perform..........he's a decent player, i am not saying he's crap, just not very good

Federer has no weakness in his game, he's amazing......how can he improve? can you tell me???? lol.....if he can improved, he would be invisible, i mean untouchable and unbeatable!
    Yes he has underperformed at the US open but his performance has hardly been diabolical at the french. He is not suited to clay since he is a serve vollyer and his ground strokes are average. He has been very unluckly at Wimbledon, losing to the eventual winner in his 4 semis. He would have reached the final if it hadnt been for rain in his semi against Goran. He does ocassionally suffer from pressure but the whole hopes of the nation are pinned on him from the first round. I admit he is not and was never good enough to win a grand slam but he is still a very talented player with arguably the best volley in the world.

Federer's weakness is his serve despite what many people say. For a man of his size it is relatively slow and placing is not great which contributed to the loss of his serve at the later stages of Wimbledon last year against the top players. The fact he went a record number of games before the semis without losing his serve is testement to how good he really is. It doesnt even compare with Sampras' at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Saying Henman is 'not very good' is a ridiculous statement. 99% of tennis pros would take 6 grand semi's in an instant if they were offered that kind of chance.

ReputationRep:
    Moya the first big name to fall, losing out in 4 sets to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ranked 106 in the world). Pretty much all of the big names seem to have gone through, in both the men and the women's.
    Federer overcame Santoro in stragith sets, as did Serena Williams against her opponent.

British women's main hopeful, Elena Baltacha made it through to the next round as well, in 3 sets.
    The British men will take to the stage tonight (GMT).
    Good luck to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phishfood)
    one last hurrah for agassi and davenport? people count them out too easily, but at the US open on hard courts, only agassi took federer to 5 sets, and davenport remains the world number 1. both have won the aussie open before.
    having said that, no-one's betting against federer for any tournament in the forseeable future. but, the last person to beat him at melbourne park was hewitt, which must count for something. the women's field is pretty open though, perhaps kuznetsova?
    I'd love to see Agassi win it but I'm pretty doubtful that will happen now. I think Federer will take it again, although I wouldn't mind Hewitt winning (anyone know what seed he is?). I also like Roddick so to be honest I don't really mind who wins

As for the women, I dislike both Davenpot and Mauresmo. How is Sharapova seeded?

ReputationRep:
    Men's seeds
    Women's seeds

Hewitt seeded 3rd, which means he'll probably have to get past Federer in order to get to the final.
    Sharapova seeded 4th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    Men's seeds
    Women's seeds

Hewitt seeded 3rd, which means he'll probably have to get past Federer in order to get to the final.
    Sharapova seeded 4th.
    Thank you Damn that means we can't have a Federer/Hewitt final

ReputationRep:
    He isnt playing as well as he was at his peak but is on a run off good form and in front of the Aussie crowd he may have a chance. However even when Federer appears to be playing poorly he still wins comfortably.
    I second that. Hewit is an excellent tennis player, but he isn't quite as good as he used to be. Mind you, he could just as easily make a comeback, but we'll see how he goes.

ReputationRep:
    What about the catch by Yuraj last summer, India v Pakistan at Edgebaston, in 2004, from what i can remember that was also pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    i rekon since his split with that other tennis player there has been a revival for hewitt and he is getting back to the level he was at when he was top of the world. but is that level good enough to beat federer?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Hewitt was any worse last year than he was when he was number 1 in the world. The standard has simply risen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afireinside©)
    I have a prediction.

Title - Chelsea
    Champions League - Arsenal, Man Ure, EEEEEEEVVVVVEEEEERTONNNNN FC
    Not in Champions League - Liverpool

HAHAHA everton will come 6th or lower!!!Livepool are coming 4th without a doubt :bootyshak :bootyshak

ReputationRep:
    Jonty Rhodes cathing a full blooded drive by Robert croft is my preferred one!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3...041_flying.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Saying Henman is 'not very good' is a ridiculous statement. 99% of tennis pros would take 6 grand semi's in an instant if they were offered that kind of chance.
    It all depends on a person's opinion, its all relative, some students would say an A is not very good, some students would say a E is very good. I disagree would the fact that 99% of tennis pros would take 6 grand semi's. Its more like 50-75% of a tennis player would take 6 grand semi's.

It depends on how high of a standard a person set yourself

ReputationRep:
    Yes he has underperformed at the US open but his performance has hardly been diabolical at the french. He is not suited to clay since he is a serve vollyer and his ground strokes are average. He has been very unluckly at Wimbledon, losing to the eventual winner in his 4 semis. He would have reached the final if it hadnt been for rain in his semi against Goran. He does ocassionally suffer from pressure but the whole hopes of the nation are pinned on him from the first round. I admit he is not and was never good enough to win a grand slam but he is still a very talented player with arguably the best volley in the world.

Federer's weakness is his serve despite what many people say. For a man of his size it is relatively slow and placing is not great which contributed to the loss of his serve at the later stages of Wimbledon last year against the top players. The fact he went a record number of games before the semis without losing his serve is testement to how good he really is. It doesnt even compare with Sampras' at the moment.
    Damn, you pick up even the smallest things i say , i agree with your opinion on Heman's form in the French, the great man Sampras couldn't hack it. He may of reached the final in his semi against Goran, but there are players that when have lead in rain breaks, have come back after the rain break and win the match. Beside, Sampras, Kycheck(sp), edberg, becker, ivanisevic, stich.......he is the greatest serve and volleyer......aguably the best serve + volley player after all those have retired - Yes............aguably the best serve + volley player of all time - No

Federer serve isn't great, but tho it lacks power, has placement and precision. I am not sure what his top and average speed is, a big serve doesn't make you a great player i.e Ruseski(sp), it's a weakness tho

He's slow, but his pacing is amazing, his movement to get around the ball for his devasated forehand is very impressive.

The fact that he's so far ahead of his closet rival, Hewitt and Roddick, means there's no point in him improving his weaknesses, unless an amazing player beats him regularly, at non-slam and grand-slam

I agree with your last point, Sampras would be favourite to beat Federer, both in their prime. But Federer can win more then Sampras's 7 wimbledon titles, and 20 something grandslams.......

ReputationRep:
    Damn, you pick up even the smallest things i say , i agree with your opinion on Heman's form in the French, the great man Sampras couldn't hack it. He may of reached the final in his semi against Goran, but there are players that when have lead in rain breaks, have come back after the rain break and win the match. Beside, Sampras, Kycheck(sp), edberg, becker, ivanisevic, stich.......he is the greatest serve and volleyer......aguably the best serve + volley player after all those have retired - Yes............aguably the best serve + volley player of all time - No

Federer serve isn't great, but tho it lacks power, has placement and precision. I am not sure what his top and average speed is, a big serve doesn't make you a great player i.e Ruseski(sp), it's a weakness tho

He's slow, but his pacing is amazing, his movement to get around the ball for his devasated forehand is very impressive.

The fact that he's so far ahead of his closet rival, Hewitt and Roddick, means there's no point in him improving his weaknesses, unless an amazing player beats him regularly, at non-slam and grand-slam

I agree with your last point, Sampras would be favourite to beat Federer, both in their prime. But Federer can win more then Sampras's 7 wimbledon titles, and 20 something grandslams.......
    'there's no point in him improving his weaknesses' :confused: . Of course there is. Ok you may lack motivation but just because your the best at something doesnt mean you shouldnt strive to improve. An example of this is Phil Taylor who won the PDC world darts 10 times doesnt mean he doesnt practice every day to improve his standard. 'Sampras would be favourite to beat Federer, both in their prime'. Quite frankly thats crap. It is very unlikely that Federer has reached his peak so how can you compare them. At Federer's current level it would be too close to call but I would probably just pick Sampras but then again in two years it could be a completely different story.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on a person's opinion, its all relative, some students would say an A is not very good, some students would say a E is very good. I disagree would the fact that 99% of tennis pros would take 6 grand semi's. Its more like 50-75% of a tennis player would take 6 grand semi's.

It depends on how high of a standard a person set yourself
    Far far more than 75% professional tennis players would take 'making enough money to cover expense and essentials'. Henman is in the top 0.1% of pro players. I'm not going to try and claim that he'll go down as one of the games' greats or anything of the sort but at the ng same time the type of qualifications you're trying to make are simply miles wide of the mark.

ReputationRep:
    Federer's serve isn't poor. It's quite simply the most effective serve in world tennis. He's also very very quick.

ReputationRep:
    'there's no point in him improving his weaknesses' :confused: . Of course there is. Ok you may lack motivation but just because your the best at something doesnt mean you shouldnt strive to improve. An example of this is Phil Taylor who won the PDC world darts 10 times doesnt mean he doesnt practice every day to improve his standard. 'Sampras would be favourite to beat Federer, both in their prime'. Quite frankly thats crap. It is very unlikely that Federer has reached his peak so how can you compare them. At Federer's current level it would be too close to call but I would probably just pick Sampras but then again in two years it could be a completely different story.
    Yeah, i agree with your 1st point........your 2nd point.....lol....yeah, what i said is indeed crap, you can't compare a tennis player with another tennis player who isn't in his prime.........but tennis experts do it all the time, macroroe(sp), Becker etc

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.